Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Gooseberries – can anything nice be done with them?
  • kayla1
    Free Member

Crumble, preferably, with a few granny smiths in there to bulk it out and let the sweetness of the crumble (with a pinch of salt added as well) balance the sharpness of the fruit. Good ice cream or a dribble of double for the hot/cold/crunchy/smooth thing as well- om^nom.

edit- apparently mackerel and gooseberry sauce is a ‘thing’ as well, according to my (ex chef) bf. Who knew?

epicyclo

Goosebeeries – yum!

Used to forage for them as a kid until my belly was sore, and then go back for more the next day.

I was just asking my wife the other day where have all the wild goosebeeries gone – don’t see many when I’m out and about.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

scud – Member
    We used to deep deep fried Camembert wrapped in filo pastry with gooseberry coolie, the berries work well with the cheese.

Blimey, I hope you mean Coulis?

redstripe
    Free Member

Feel hard still the ones here, didn’t want to risk being put off forever, give it another few weeks as others say.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Try them raw – i like them hard [oh er] and bitter, store prefer them soft and sweet. For me the giveaway is, if they’re edible (or nice) raw they’ll be good cooked. If they’re bloody horrible raw, they’re not ready and won’t benefit from cooking yet (or they’re past best and squishy sweet nastiness which means the better half would like me to put them in cheese cake, because she’s a wrong un)

argoose
    Free Member

Don’t eat too many or you’ll get the colliewobblies

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gooseberries – can anything nice be done with them?’ is closed to new replies.