Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Gooseberries – can anything nice be done with them?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

As a kid I hated them in school dinner puddings, disgusting things, not eaten since. Previous owner of our place planted loads of them which at this time of year are in fruit. I just ignore and let them wither away most years but I keep thinking maybe I was wrong and they are not the spawn of the devil and maybe something can be done with them. Worth the effort or continue to boycott?

m0rk
    Free Member

Jam
    Crumble

Presumably with 99% sugar

eemy
    Free Member

Gooseberry chutney. Lovely. That said, we still have 5 tubs of gooseberries in the freezer so maybe it doesn’t take a lot of them to make the chutney.

kormoran
    Free Member

Fool

andrw13
    Free Member

Stew them with sugar, let them cool and stir into greek yogurt.

bubs

Green, hairy, nice – pick 2.

nostoc
    Free Member

Gooseberry vodka – infused or distilled

A friend at work recommends the dried gooseberries from https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jun/25/gooseberry-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi-slaw-dried-fool-salsa

I just eat a few handfuls in the garden when they are sweet enough and content myself with how healthy my blackbirds look.

Mackem

It’s a game isn’t it?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

chutney for pork chops , gooseberry crumble cake. both slater recipes.

a sorbet with gooseberries and elderflower is damn good too. we have three bushes, love ’em

RustySpanner

Make a crumble with rhubarb and gooseberries.

Then throw the rhubarb and gooseberries away and just eat the crumble with lots of custard.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gooseberry crumble is the food of the gods. The only sweetening should be in the topping, nothing AT ALL in the fruit, which should be sharp. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

welshfarmer

Just get Mrs WF to bake you a cake with either gooseberries or rhubarb. You will be a convert within a mouth-full I guarantee. Why do you think I struggle to stay below 90 kilos 🙂

Drac

Fool

No need for that not everyone is a chef.

Twodogs

Fool also

Twodogs

Which reminds me of an adage “how can you tell if your gooseberries are ripe? The birds have eaten them all”

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hated them also as a kid. Though gooseberry wine is supposedly okay and a good choice for making wine at home, apparently.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

goosgog cheesecake…

redstripe
    Free Member

Ok, will bite the bullet gooseberry and try some tomorrow, and have a spittoon closeby just in case

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much anything you;d make with apples TBH, just add more sugar.

Unless yours are particularly early cropping they’re not ready yet though, we don’t pick ours until July/August. This time of year they’re only good for savory stuff like chutney (or at a pinch, pie with a lot of sugar added).

slowoldman

Definitely not kids food. We had a garden full and I detested them. No objection now though.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

They’re wonderful in crumble, stew lightly in a little water with bit of ginger.

Don’t over cook.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Must be weird because I ate them as a kid. Raw rhubarb too. Bit of sugar doesnt hurt.

As above, fool, crumble, tart. Great pudding fruit.

Drac

Same here but no sugar with the gooseberries or not always with the rhubarb too.

tjagain

They go very well with mackerel. The acid cuts thru the oilyness of the fish.

RustySpanner

You people disgust me.

garage-dweller

They go brilliantly in….compost or in anything where they make up less than 0.000000000001% up of the total ingredients and where sugar is a major component in the remaining ingredients.

backinireland
    Free Member

Yip had a nice mackerel dish with gooseberry in a posh restaurant once.
    Guess it’s in the name,, sauce to eat with goose? Lol

Made ice cream with them once which was quite nice.
    We had a red gooseberry bush and the fruit was sweeter.

ransos
    Free Member

I make wine with them. It needs at least a year before drinking but is very pleasant.

dcjay99
    Free Member

Stewed, hint of sugar, add a half of cooking apple- with birds custard, really too early yet for picking, mid July on.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Gooseberries vary wildly in their nice/nastiness (IME). Used to have a bitter bush then a really good seedling popped up. Assume it’s just natural variation.

convert

Surely there is a typo in the title. Is there anything that is not nice that can be done with a gooseberry?

oldnpastit

Wait until properly ripe. Almost golden in colour and quite squishy. Before that they are a bit meh, but ripe they are delicious.

swanny853

Gooseberry vodka

This. Ohsoverymuch this.

oink1
    Free Member

Crumble 100% I keep looking for them in the supermarket with no success. We had a bush in the garden as a kid and I loved them! 😀

Houns

Another Gooseberry and Rhubarb fan here

shermer75
    Free Member

Salt – tequila – gooseberry. Try it! 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

I like them raw!

Plus all the above.

Onboard with the no sugar in the crumble filling.

Plenty in the crumble.

Green, hairy, nice – pick 2.

Kiwi fruit.

dantsw13

Eating stewed gooseberries with my porridge as I type!

DrJ

Pie or crumble with vanilla ice cream. Yummy.

scud
    Free Member

We used to deep deep fried Camembert wrapped in filo pastry with gooseberry coolie, the berries work well with the cheese.

Done rhubarb gin recently, half kilo of the reddest rhubarb in 1 litre of gin and 400g sugar, shake daily for a fornight, then drink the gin with good quality ginger ale, bloomin lovely

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gooseberries – can anything nice be done with them?’ is closed to new replies.