Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • GOOGLE Wave
  • cullen-bay
    Free Member

Interesting stuff…
    I've always liked what google do, their search engine is the fastest, cleanest and friendliest. You dont need to pay to use any of their new technologies. Youtube is used by most on here every week (at least) and gmail gave us Gbs of storage compared to the 2megabites we used before. They have delivered Chrome, my prefered window, and now they have given 100000, potentially 500000 of us Google wave.

apparently it will revolutionise the way we communicate… thoughts?
    What do we think of the newest device from Google?

Jamie
    Free Member

I don't know what to think as you have not provided any links……

brakes
    Free Member

whatever it is, it's just going to eat into my riding/eating/rutting/sleeping time and until I stop doing one of these things I don't want to know about it

🙂

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

I don't know what to think as you have not provided any links……

Google it 8)

WAVE

allthepies
    Free Member

Cool!

DudleyPoyson
    Free Member

So does anyone have any invites for GoogleWave??

It sounds great if you know someone\are in a community which uses it. Without that though I can't really see that much of a use

saxabar
    Free Member

Not only do Google rule advertising, but they're also masters of marketing. Do try to keep it in perspective folk, as well as remembering precisely how they make their revenue. No such thing as a free lunch, or some such.

uplink
    Free Member

The phrase 'social networking' put me off it instantly

miketually
    Free Member

I think it looks superb. Gmail is so much better than any other email 'system' that I've used, so looking forward to seeing how Wave works out.

Good overview here: http://lifehacker.com/5370738/google-wave-first-look

fozzybear
    Free Member

Looks excellent as a forum replacement… 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

>Looks excellent as a forum replacement…

And Email…and Instant messaging… and I stopped the presentation after only about 10 mins, presumably they had collaborative work on documents also.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Without that though I can't really see that much of a use

😯

alpin
    Free Member

i'm not sure…. the internet can be used in two ways. for the people or against it.

the less information there is on the internet about me the happier i am.

fozzybear
    Free Member

allthepies, real time yes..

fozzybear
    Free Member

it's not about putting info about you on the net.. you need to understand the full picture with wave.

stumpy01

Not sure what this means, but if I did I am sure I wouldn't be able to live without it.

A wave is like an email or instant message on steroids. The entire wave has a life of its own. Participants on the wave are notified as the wave is updated or modified, and the wave can be easily searched based on any content of the wave-dynamically updating potential results as you type.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Some aspects of what they're doing with Wave are novel, but there's nothing truly new or revolutionary about Wave. It's just a further step down the road of unifying disparate technologies.

What I like about Google is their simple interface approach but make no mistake people, this isn't a cute and cuddly company. Google are a massive corporation with a lot of influence and a lot of ambition.

Ultimately they are the Microsoft or IBM of the current decade. But if they're using the massive advertising revenue that they claw in every second to bring me free and innovative personal use software, I'm not going to complain;-)

fozzybear
    Free Member

this whole thread/forum is a wave.

we are all replying to comments made, the same is on a wave.
    the power is the real time nature of it, you could literally see me typing this reply if you had the page open as i typed the reply.

if someone posted oh i have one of those for sale in a discussion you could reply to only that person but the overall effect is like a huge instant message thread with branches/comments/pictures/media etc.

take the time to watch the video, yes it's long and at first you will be "ohhh wooo" (sarcastic) but then the power of the system becomes apparent.

if you post to a blog, you can add photos and text as you would do to a blog, you can add others to the Wave (say people you went on holiday with) they can add photos and comments. you can then add a blog robot that takes that thread and puts it on your blog where the world can see it and comment, others collaborate on the wave which updates the blog.

it does have real world impact and could easy replace email systems internal of a company, as most companies use 75% of email as instant messaging and then other tools/apps to create collaboration documents.

fozzybear
    Free Member

a further step down the road of unifying disparate technologies

couldn't have put it better..

if your an IT geek/server manager you can see what it's about..

scaredypants

friggin google again ?! I'm pretty sure they own everything, all the way up to unilever, tesco & microsoft

same old shite as with gmail I suppose. It's likely a very good product but they can't help themselves – they have to get the world's geek population all het up with this invitation-only "early adoption" wankery.

I'm sure it's good marketing tactics, christ knows they've managed OK up to now, but it just makes me MAD !

allthepies
    Free Member

>they have to get the world's geek population all het up with this invitation-only "early adoption" wankery.

They admit it's buggy and probably hosted on a limited server estate so unleashing it to the great unwashed as a done-and-dusted service isn't a good idea.

>but it just makes me MAD !

Chiiiiiillll….. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like google and google mail very much. But social network sites seem conceited – why is anyone interested in what I'm doing and why do I want them to know?

And "following" people on twitter? Stalking more like. So I'm reluctant to surf the Wave, but I expect that google have a very good implementation of the concept.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"They admit it's buggy and probably hosted on a limited server estate so unleashing it to the great unwashed as a done-and-dusted service isn't a good idea."

It's beta-testing and a well-proven way to improve software quality. Shame bespoke software industry isn't encouraged to follow this approach.

scaredypants

They admit it's buggy and probably hosted on a limited server estate so unleashing it to the great unwashed as a done-and-dusted service isn't a good idea.

so why not keep it low-profile & only those who can deal with it will use it at first ? – right now there's proper geeks being bothered by wannabe geeks ( 😯 ) & people who just think it's cool to have something hard to get. Some tosser actually said to me the other day that I should try to get a "gmail" address rather than googlemail because they're cooler. If he'd said easier to remember or to type I might have let him off but he meant easier to **** over 🙄

fozzybear
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear, social network sites are not the aim of this tool, they just interact with it to some degree (via API's), it's just a popular medium atm so they make sure they give it a mention.

like i said, it can also do forums like this

DudleyPoyson
    Free Member

Some tosser actually said to me the other day that I should try to get a "gmail" address rather than googlemail because they're cooler.

If you sign up and get an @googlemail.com address you still get the @gmail.com address as well. Tell your mate he's a cock

scaredypants

oh, interesting Dudley (I'll tell him I contacted Google direct and they agreed to migrate me)

He's not really a cock, just a wannabe geek. Under that he's quite a nice bloke (for a tosser)

uplink
    Free Member
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘GOOGLE Wave’ is closed to new replies.