Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Google searches go straight to Yahoo. Confused.
  • Ambrose

My browser (Firefox) has its default search engine set to Google. Yet whenever I try to search (via Google)it always redirects to Yahoo. I’m not sure how to stop this happening.

It is a recent problem, only a month or so old. FWIW, I’ve been away in France and my niece spent some time on the laptop out there. She is resident in France and was on my laptop for a while.

deadkenny
    Free Member

When you say search “via Google”, how do you do that? Are you going to Google.com / .co.uk / etc, and typing in the search?

Or are you typing into the browser address bar?

If the latter, then it sounds like the default search engine has been changed to Yahoo. Classic is having installed some bit of software which installs a Yahoo toolbar and sets the default search engine, unless you opt out of it.

Ambrose

In Firefox homepage is

https://www.google.co.uk/

I did have a weird toolbar appear recently when I installed WinAmp. I uninstalled it. I’m not sure if the Yahoo issue existed prior to the installation of WinAmp or not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ambrose

Cheers Neal, I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

PJay
    Free Member

You should be able to uninstall the toolbar using “Programs and Features” from the Windows’ Control Panel; with any luck this should reset things back to normal.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member

I did have a weird toolbar appear recently when I installed WinAmp.

Sorry for asking this, but….is WinAmp still a thing?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Was about to ask the same, Winamp and Firefox did my time machine work?

zippykona

My MacBook keeps having a yahoo pop up. How do I get rid of it?
    My browser was google then it became bing then back to google all by itself.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Looks like Winamp download links are all a bit iffy. Seems to be some new development going on after it’s changed hands though, but existing downloads are on sites that love to bundle crapware with them.

Myself I use foobar2000 at times. Wide range of audio format support, loads of plugins, converters and encoders, etc.

andytherocketeer

I did have a weird toolbar appear recently when I installed WinAmp.

Sorry for asking this, but….is WinAmp still a thing?

Sorry for asking this, but…. are random weird toolbars (that people just automatically click OK to) still a thing?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sorry for asking this, but…. are random weird toolbars (that people just automatically click OK to) still a thing?

Yes, people love to click OK, OK, OK, OK, OK.
    And then ask you round to see if you can check why their PC is going slow.
    Worst i’ve seen was 1/3rd of the page taken up because the browser had about 20 toolbars installed……..

mrjmt
    Free Member

Does it still whip the lama’s ass?

plyphon
    Free Member

WinAmp… Foobar…. What year is it!

VLC is the only media player for me.

retro83
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – Member

Not always obvious, especially things like the crapware that sourceforge was bundling in installers a while back.

plyphon – Member
    WinAmp… Foobar…. What year is it!

Good point

plyphon – Member

Oh dear

Cougar

Does it still whip the lama’s ass?

Curses, I was going to ask that.

Likewise. There might be better options, but I’ve used VLC for donkeys’ years and it’s never put a foot wrong.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ambrose

YAYYYYY!!!! thanks Neal, Google is back.

Now however I feel that WinAmp is not the player of STW choice.

I’ll give this VLC thingy a go.

deadkenny
    Free Member

VLC is more of a video player really.

Groove is built into Win 10 (or in the store at least), and has handy ability to play/stream any music you’ve dumped in your OneDrive account, from anywhere in the world, on mobile, etc. Plus can index all your music on your PC / server, if you like.

Or, Plex will do similar. Again, video focused, but has nice indexing of music now. Needs a server though, or an online account, I think. Not sure if the Plex app has sorted out gapless playback however.

plyphon
    Free Member

I really use Windows Media Player for MP3s.

And VLC for videos (rare these days) or FLAC/WAV etc audio.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Google searches go straight to Yahoo. Confused.’ is closed to new replies.