Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Google says my account has been accessed by someone
  • vondally
    Free Member

So just got a message from Google on my Tablet saying someone has tried to access my account from a Mac in London.

It is not me so is this a genuine message and should I secure my account?

Just paranoid that the message may be false,

All help cheers

jambourgie
    Free Member

Do you use a VPN like Cyberghost or anything?

the-muffin-man

Don’t follow any links in the email if there are any.

Run a virus/malware check then go to gmail in your browser, check all is OK and change your password.

vondally
    Free Member

Not email just a message through Google play.

allthepies
    Free Member

Presumably you’ve got 2 factor authentication turned on ? (so an attacker would need a code sent to your phone to login).

vondally
    Free Member

No mobile reception is dire,……

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for your Passwords !

😉

sands
    Free Member

vondally – Member
    So just got a message from Google on my Tablet saying someone has tried to access my account from a Mac in London.

FYI: I usually only use gmail / Google sign-in on Android; however, if I do sign in on a PC, I receive a gmail to my phone e.g. “New sign-in from Firefox on Windows”.

I have no idea if it’s related to your issue, but a week ago (25 Feb ish), there was a problem with Google sign-in.

There’s been a change to your Google account, please sign in…

Account Action Required notifications and unexpected sign out issues

johnners
    Free Member

No mobile reception is dire,……

I think you can still use the Authenticator app for 2FA, no mobile reception required.

FWIW someone could just have mistyped their Google ID.

Cougar

I’d suggest “big fat hairy deal” if someone has tried to access your account. If I know your email address I can try to access it myself. Where you need to worry is if they’ve actually succeeded.

If you share your password with other sites, well, don’t do that, doubly so for something as critical as your email account. Anything that has the capacity to unlock other accounts (eg, resetting your paypal password) needs to have a strong, unique password.

Handy resource, bung your details in here:
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Cougar

I think you can still use the Authenticator app for 2FA, no mobile reception required.

I think you’re right actually. It works like an RSA token, constantly generating new codes every few seconds in time with what the server expects.

kcr
    Free Member

Two factor authentication is definitely worth doing, and as others have mentioned, you don’t need mobile reception.

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers for all the help will look into the suggestions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Google says my account has been accessed by someone’ is closed to new replies.