Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Google OS
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Not eaxctly breaking news but this should be very interesting indeed. I'm kind of hoping it'll be light enough to boot from a flash drive, if so it could be perfect for my little Asus eee which is a pretty fab little web book. It's currently running an nLight'd XP installation but sometimes even 45 seconds is too long to wait for it to boot.

Would love the option of a very quick boot into the Google OS as I find Chrome a good browser for quick searches (although Firefox is still my mainstay browser) and I find Gmail and Google Calendar pretty brilliant.

mcboo
    Free Member

you lost me at "not". what on earth are you talking about man? 😐

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how open it is and what sort of development tools will be freely available.

BlingBling
    Free Member

It's just a modified version Linux and at the moment only aimed at netbooks from what I've read (on the Inq mind).

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I have an Asus eee running Linux and it boots like lightening, less memory and very usable – Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office.
    IIRC the Google OS is based on Linux somewhere deep inside.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Are Google going to rule the world one day? Is that the idea?

brassneck

Yes, it's a linux kernel, but there is supposed to be a lot of work on making it boot quick, so it might be really nice as an alternate distro for my X24.

jimmy

jack – once they've bought Apple and crushed Microsoft, yep. I hear their next project is something called SkyNet

sharkbait
    Free Member

rogerthecat: which linux distro are you running – the one it came with or a further development? Must try and find one that will boot off a USB drive. XP is great for some stuff though, such as remote desktop and using my phone as a bluetooth modem but I guess there may be a way around that.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Will Google become the new Microsoft and eventually the geekks will all hate them.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

One has Mandriva running, the other two have the standard Linux dist that they came with as standard.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The Mandriva is a specific distribution for the Asus.

sharkbait
    Free Member

…. which do you prefer?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

For me it's all down to the desktop that is supported, I like KDE because its really flexible and I am used to it, otherwise may be tempted to use Ubuntu.
    We may drop Suse onto one, happy to keep you posted if you are not in a rush?

sharkbait
    Free Member

no rush at all……. that would be great.

CountZero

Mac OS X is also based on Linux kernel, which is why it can also be installed on Intel netbooks.

retro83
    Free Member

Mac OS X is also based on Linux kernel, which is why it can also be installed on Intel netbooks.

darwin 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ok Sharkbait – we have settled on EEEbuntu – a dedicated ASUS EEE distribution of Ubuntu – light quick and really sweet. Can run of a pen drive or installed, picks up wireless nicely – would recommend this for you EEE.
    Cheers, Paul.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Google OS’ is closed to new replies.