Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Google Nexus 7- newbie questions
  • hora
    Free Member

Basically its for a present for mrshora and for hora jnr to use (hes 3 and likes games, vids and looking at photos etc).

A few questions:

She can tether her mobile phone to it or run a connection between easily enough?

(She knows she’ll have to add tethering to her contract).

Its ok for web browsing?

(Basically everything she does whilst relaxing on her mobile at home and on public transport).

Get an Apple? Too much for general mucking about on IMO.

cranberry
    Free Member

STOP.

There’s a new version coming out in a couple of weeks time – it would be a good idea to wait for it to arrive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/24/google_unveils_nextgen_nexus_7_android_43_tablet_to_take_on_apple/

jon1973
    Free Member

She can tether her mobile phone to it or run a connection between easily enough?

You can set your mobile up as a hotspot, if your mobile cotract allows you to do that and the tablet just recognises it as another wifi. Or you can teather it via bluetooth.

Its ok for web browsing?

My wife has a 7″ tab, I find t a little small for browsing and prefer my 10″ one, but it does the job fine.

hora
    Free Member

The new version?

fondleslab

is that for real? 😆

The Nexus 10 is quite a leap in price though.

The Nexus 7 seems to fulfill basic requirements for both of them and if it physically gets broken* 1yr down the line it wont be too upsetting.

*hora jnr has form.

scotroutes

At least until the new version is out. If you are happy with the current one, you should pick up a bargain.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you get the Nexus 7 3g, you can only tether by blue tooth, works well though.

VanMan
    Free Member

As above I would wait until the new one arrives, then what is already a bargain tablet will become even cheaper! If you look on Google Play store you will note it is now called the Nexus 7 (2012).

With regard your other questions, yes it is easy to tether, and yes it surfs the web (well enough that I haven’t fired up the laptop since last November!)

TooTall
    Free Member

Get one of the data transfer cable/dongle thingies and you can quite easily grab cartoons from well-known internet video sites and bung them on the Nexus 7, therefore having loads of small child distractions for car trips etc

fuzzhead
    Free Member

new version is out end Sept in the UK for £200ish gauging from what i read today

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yes.
    Yes.
    No.

(Nexus 7 & former iPad 3 owner)

Bimbler
    Free Member

New ones to be more expensive, 16gb £200 32gb for £240 (something like that anyway)

hora
    Free Member

I honestly don’t mind the current one. After all, its hardly a Neanderthal product is it?

What scares me is I said quietly to mrshora ‘put the mobile signal block on’- as I said it hora jnr went through three menu’s and turned it on.

I was 😯 still. He aint that bright as he didn’t use the side-key shortcut 😀

rickon
    Free Member

Nexus 7 is ace. You can actually hold it in your hand like a mobile, rather than your arm falling off after 2 minutes holding an IPad.

It’s quick, big enough for web browsing, FPS games, watching films and reading books. Go for it!

Cougar

FPS games

GTA Vice City + Xbox controller. Fantastic.

hora
    Free Member

Nexus 7 is ace. You can actually hold it in your hand like a mobile, rather than your arm falling off after 2 minutes holding an IPad.

Considering she’s a size 8 and petite this sells it to me. Plus a 3yr olds little mitts.

Cheers guys 🙂

smokey_jo
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Google Nexus 7- newbie questions’ is closed to new replies.