Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Google nav for sat nav for alps trip
  • cheers_drive

Has anyone used Google nav for this – I’m concerned about not having a data connection at all times?
    I am aware that there will be data charges but as I’ll probably want to check on the TDF and Ashes whilst I’m away so I’ll want a data roaming package anyway.

jonba
    Free Member

no but you could download navfree instead.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Use it to get out of trouble but the directions can be written on a small bit of paper. For most Calais, Rhiems, Djion then pick Morzine/Les Arcs etc.

cheers_drive

It does look easy to use the lost art of map reading to get us there but as we are taking it in turns to drive / sleep the sat nav is just for reassurance.

legend
    Free Member

on an Android phone? The last Android I had allowed you to save big chunks of map and use them without a data connection, can you still do that?

Bimbler
    Free Member

A friend bought Co-Pilot Live , not free, about £30 rates it, not sure if it’s any better than NavFree

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Who’s your mobile provider cheers_drive?

(Tried explaining the significance of “cheers drives” to someone the other day…they just didn’t get it 😀 )

onehundredthidiot

It is easy. We’re heading down on the 14th/15th and just using Tom Tom. You do get big bits where it’s “keep in left lane in 250km”.

Why not just get a Tom Tom with Western Europe on it? You can pick one up for about £70 new. No worries about data charges then.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Skobbler was what I used. I think the download is free but you pay a few quid for all of europe-maps which you can download (country by country) when connected to wifi. Then wipe them when you get home. Worked through France, Belgium and Germany for me. It also has crowd sourced speed camera locations. I thought it was excellent value for money.

wallop

There is wifi in the campsite, btw.

UncleFred
    Free Member

+1 for navfree and buy the maps needed at £1.99

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Google nav for sat nav for alps trip’ is closed to new replies.