Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Google Location Logging
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

I was reading an article the other day which mentioned the extent of Google’s logging and storing your location data. A quick… Google… got me this link: maps.google.co.uk/locationhistory which was, to be honest, a massive surprise.

I may be being naive here, but I’m not that thrilled by the amount of information that is stored online about my every move over a period of years – what do we think, a fair tradeoff for our fancy phones/apps?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It tells me where I am, where I need to be, when I need to leave to catch a plane, where the nearest what I’m looking for it and where to go, which bus train or tram to catch to get to my next meeting. I’m happy to share, I can always turn it off if I want to.

jam-bo

yep. apple had a similar ‘scandal’ a while back.

just proved to me I don’t go to the north…

midlifecrashes

You have no location history from 22 April 2014 to 21 May 2014

Nope, can’t find any. You know you can turn off Google Location? Not saying the phone company isn’t tracking me by which mast I’m near, but I only turn on GPS when I want it.

chambord
    Free Member

I think it’s ace.

My phone fell out of a hole in my back pocket in the park once. I went home, checked my location history and found that someone had picked it up and walked home with it. So I went there, knocked on the door, asked if they’d picked up a phone, they said yes, and I got it back.

Lovely stuff.

I don’t have any problems with google keeping my location history. If my girlfriend found it and saw how much time I spend in the brothel down the road though…

phiiiiil

The location recording isn’t on by default; at some point you (or somebody using that device) must have turned it on…

spooky_b329

How else is Google meant to give you directions, tell you the local weather or the nearest sandwich shop?

Very simple to turn off the location services, but it does limit the phone somewhat.

midlifecrashes

How else is Google meant to give you directions, tell you the local weather or the nearest sandwich shop?

Not sure if serious.

votchy
    Free Member

so I allow google to use my location but I have no location history according to google maps!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Google Location Logging’ is closed to new replies.