Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Google I/O
  • muggomagic

As we had a WWDC thread a month or so back, it seems right to mention Googles conference.

As some one that uses both apple and android on an almost daily basis I am pretty impressed with what google are doing with android. The material design in android L looks like a nice step from the holo design.
    Quite like the idea of the smart watches too, but it would probably get left at home after a few days of playing around with it and the constant alerts of Facebook friends invites to play candy crush.

Only downside is the rumours that nexus 4 may not get the android L update.

Google IO roundup

Stoner
    Free Member

My Bro and I were discussing Google wear the other evening (over hangouts, natch 😉 ) He’s really keen to get his hands on the motorola one. I might get the LG one but Im not sure Id get much out of it. Im more interested in google glasses when they’re ready and cheaper.

I have an N4 so missing android L woul dbe inconvenient, but if it was worth it I see no reason not to upgrade to N5, afterall I cant get LTE on the N4 anyway but it comes on N5.

dknwhy

Google+ amazed me yesterday. uploaded some photos to it from my weekend away and it came back with a little story of where i’ve been including maps. Very cool.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for posting. Didn’t seem much to get excited about but as I am all Apple perhaps that’s not surprising. I use Goolge everyday for search and maps, my primary email account but I wouldn’t consider a phone or watch. I’ve stopped using Google Drive, their social network thing is rubbish and I may switch my email to iCloud. As for Microsoft I think they are slipping away fast. I see the future as Apple and Google.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The Moto 360 watch in chrome (lol) looks gawjuss. As someone who’s been using Android from the get-go I’m still really happy with it as an OS and I love the amount of work the custom rom community put in. I’m using and awesome ROM on my One M8 and flashed 4.4.4 onto my Nexus 10 as soon as it came out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On Google Glass some US students have created an app which runs on various devices inc iPhones but works well on Google Glass (as you are wearing them all the time so relatively unobtrusive) which makes it easy to steal PIN codes. Bit scary.

PIN code theft

muggomagic

Though this sort of thing from ViewRanger seems like a good use of the watch.

Active navigation

Stoner
    Free Member

Bit scary

Cars found to be used in bank heists!
    Phones reportedly wielded by fraudsters!
    Toothbrushes used as prison shanks!

NOOOONOOOooooooOOOOOO!OO!OOOOooooo!

sounds v scary to me! 😀

Now this is proper use of a dev’s time!

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-06/16/trackingpoint-killer-app

muggomagic

On Google Glass some US students have created an app which runs on various devices inc iPhones but works well on Google Glass (as you are wearing them all the time so relatively unobtrusive) which makes it easy to steal PIN codes. Bit scary.

PIN code theft

This is where Google’s idea of not needing to input a pin or pattern to unlock if you’re wearing a paired watch might eliminate this potential theft.

muggomagic

dknwhy – Member
    Google+ amazed me yesterday. uploaded some photos to it from my weekend away and it came back with a little story of where i’ve been including maps. Very cool.

POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I rarely use Google+ for anything other than backing up my photos and video. I do love the auto awesome stuff. Bloody clever.

Stoner
    Free Member

google now is orsum trick in the pub.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Both Google and Apple seem to be playing “fill the gaps” to each other’s OS and services. For me Apple still have the edge purely because of the hardware, but Google do seem to be a bit more creative with their ideas.

Flaperon

http://www.google.com/design/

This is the new Material UI? Looks, uh, “borrowed” from somewhere if you ask me.

Oh yes… https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=i+hate+windows+8

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Google Now is scary good, the only bit that caught me out was booking flights for somebody else and I got the “You need to leave now to catch your flight” notice 🙂

dknwhy

My friend’s wife works in the Android team and she is amazed at what the team comes up with.
    For me, the fact that Apple are trying to develop both hardware and software whereas google are concentrating soley on the software and allowing phone manufacturers to develop the hardware means that I can only see Google and Android improving and with the likes of HTC, Samsung, Motorola trying to develop the latest, greatest handset, it can only be a good thing for the consumer.
    We’ve got a Macbook, Apple TV and an Ipad – and I like the way it integrates media but I much prefer using my HTC One and Nexus 7 to anything else.

warton
    Free Member

Google now is scary. i love it, that alone beats apple hands down.

Order something using your gmail address and you get live updates in google now, automatically, without having to do anything, it’s amazing.

muggomagic

Google now is available on iOS though, through the search app. The google search app on android gets better with each update. The latest one makes the “ok google” available from any screen or when using an app, which will be really useful when in the car. Still not quite as good as Siri IMO, but certainly closing the gap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still not quite as good as Siri IMO, but certainly closing the gap.

True but does anyone actually talk to their phone without feeling like a complete cock?

muggomagic

I often use it in the car or when I’ve got headphones in, I just make sure no one else is in ear shot. 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes, voice control is very useful when wearing a motorcycle helmet. I can choose music, take notes, answer texts, whatever. I use Cortana rather than Siri though.

muggomagic

Ok, put me down for one. Just hope it’s less buggy than the Motorola mobiles I’ve had in the past.
    moto 360

muggomagic

This thread on XDA might be of some interest to anyone that wants to side load some of the Android L apps. Read through the whole thread though as there are things you need to do to get the keyboard app etc to work.

Android L apps

muggomagic

Please be aware that some of these apps might not work properly yet. Also don’t blame me if this buggers up your device if you’re not sure then don’t take the risk.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Google I/O’ is closed to new replies.