Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Google Earth
  • CountZero

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but I read on Flipboard earlier that the satellite view had been updated, so I’ve just checked and it’s now got a 2016 copyright date, and the view of where I live is up to date, I can see my current car out front, and I can see the solar panels that friends across the road had installed about a year ago.

siwhite
    Free Member

Still at least two years out of date at my place. Rather isolated though – perhaps they prioritise conurbations?

scotroutes

It’s just random. They don’t do the whole planet/country every year.

leffeboy

It’s worth looking on bing maps as well. Sometimes the images there are even better

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It goes in cycles, farmland is great to look at as you get these great stripes where crops have changed. I think my dad reckons he is on there about 5 times on the farm at different times of year doing different things.

StirlingCrispin

Stirling has been updated.
    Can now see my house. Before it was being built – and it is 12 years old.

(Quality of image is better on Bing though….)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Unnamed+Rd,+Bilas,+Upau,+Kabupaten+Tabalong,+Kalimantan+Selatan,+Indonesia/@-2.1702088,115.5605131,871m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x2dfaac74055e6ebf:0x8c599d2a62bff90c!8m2!3d-2.1702142!4d115.5627018

This was a mine I visited a while back, at different zooms you get different time slices Jungle/Hole etc. If clouds covered the new images it looks like they revert to the older ones to give clarity

Nico
    Free Member

It’s just random. They don’t do the whole planet/country every year.

I don’t think they do the country at all. I seem to remember seeing Infoterra’s copyright on some in the past. Soon we’ll have open street map satellite images pieced together from all the zillions of toy helicopters currently go-pro-ing the country.

GrahamS

Yeah updated in the North East.
    2016 copyright for my street, but Street View is still 2010.

Soon we’ll have open street map satellite images pieced together from all the zillions of toy helicopters currently go-pro-ing the country.

Not sure we need that – OpenStreetMap already have an agreement with Bing to use their imagery. It’s pretty handy when tracing out boundaries etc.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Says 2016 on the bottom of mine but it’s the same image as previously that is a few years old.

jam-bo

i need to cut my lawn.

DezB
    Free Member

Says 2016 on mine, but the bushes I cleared from the side of my driveway last year are still on the satellite image.

Clobber
    Free Member

The image of my place is over 10years ago, I can tell due to the car and the seeding of the lawn of the land we bought off the farmer…

swavis

Still at least 10 years old here as my house hasn’t been built. The street view is about 8 years old and shows the house though 😀

flaps
    Free Member

I noticed a few weeks ago that our house is on Google Earth but only if you view it via Chrome, if you use IE the image is considerably older and our house isn’t there. I’d date the Chrome image at about three years.

CountZero

It does look like more urban areas get the latest update, I guess because that’s where infrastructure changes quickest.
    There was something in the article I read about Google using images from the latest Landsat 8 satellite, which are clearer and sharper.
    Worth keeping an eye on known places to see if they update in coming months.

jimdubleyou

Just looked at ours – must be fairly recent as the local school has their rounders & athletics tracks marked out on the field.

Must have been a weekend too, as I can see our car parked in the road.

AlexSimon

Mine is newer than before I think, but still 3-4 years old

midlifecrashes

Must do that hedge.

kayla1
    Free Member

I can see my old mini 1275 (stage 1) parked outside and my old Yam TRX850 in the garden 😀 Both are long gone now though 🙁

scotroutes

Satellite imagery here is still 2006. Streetview is April 2015.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Shame they’ve updated Russel Square – the passenger jet that was parked there has gone 😆

CountZero

I found a google maps blog about it, but it was locked and I couldn’t copy a link to it, but it does seem to be a steady roll-out of the newer images.
    Trouble is without being really familiar with a particular place, and the changes that take place over time, it’s difficult to see when changes are made. In my neighbourhood it’s easy, because I can now see my Octavia parked out front instead of the Puma I sold eleven years ago, and my friends over the road’s house, which they weren’t living in up until around three years ago.
    Trying to think of parts of Bath that have changed recently…
    Actually, the new Southgate shopping area didn’t used to show up, I’ll go and have a look at that.
    And it hasn’t been updated, although the footpaths that run through the precinct are shown running right through buildings, and there’s a bunch of bus routes marked where the bus station now is, but was just a big building ten years ago.
    Odd that a major city like Bath hasn’t been updated, but a small market town in North Wilts has!

dannybgoode

My house is updated – now about 9 months old. Was very old before…

brocks
    Free Member

Haven’t looked lately but last time on street view we still had a fridge outside in front garden, I laughed big style but Mrs and youngest daughter were not impressedat all. Pointed out to them that’s the way to get rid of White goods. Leave em out after awhile local scrotes/salt of the earth will gather them up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Google Earth’ is closed to new replies.