Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Google Drive?
  • jam-bo

Good? Bad? Just another Dropbox?

Stoner
    Free Member

https://drive.google.com/start#features

dont know yet.

Im a paying google apps user and dont have it yet. Ive requested an email when “my drive is ready”.

Hopefully it will provide online storage that doesnt muck with file types. Id love to use google docs but it cant handle my excel models. I work at various locations and rely on syncing a micros SD card and taking it around with me. If I could just download files to work on as and when and where, that’d be great. Esp is I can share links too.

druidh
    Free Member

I thought you could already upload to google docs without converting?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I work at various locations and rely on syncing a micros SD card and taking it around with me. If I could just download files to work on as and when and where, that’d be great. Esp is I can share links too.

pretty sure you can do that with dropbox already?

still, drive looks pretty good (no idea how any private user could fill 16tb though!).

google docs is shiiiite!

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

CaptJon
    Free Member

you want to give google more stuff?

atlaz
    Free Member

Not sure what I get from this that I don’t from dropbox. And I don’t trust Google with the contents of stuff I archive via DB normally.

Stoner
    Free Member

drop box is too small.
    google offer 5GB
    Also google search functionality is v powerful and useful.

I have no qualms about google handling my data.

sas
    Free Member

No Linux client, so I’ll stick with Dropbox.

GrahamS

drop box is too small.

2GB for free, plus 500MB per referral up to 18GB.
    Not too hard to refer a few email addresses if you need the extra space 😉

jam-bo

Pricing looks sensible too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Windows Live Skydrive thingy

spacemonkey

DB is great but a lot of my clients (predominantly public sector) can’t install it. Most of them have trouble with GDocs too so I’m hoping this is a better bet. Have tried umpteen collaborative tools and am yet to find something that I and ‘everyone’ else likes and can use.

GrahamS

DB is great but a lot of my clients (predominantly public sector) can’t install it.

You can access it through the website without installing anything.

spacemonkey

Think I’ll dig deeper into box.net. Have tons of shared files on there already – just haven’t bothered checking out the collaborative side enough. Me reckons it could do the trick.

spacemonkey

You can access it through the website without installing anything.

Hmm, you have a point there. I keep forgetting about that because I’ve always used the local client.

Does the public sharing work the same way, i.e. set up a local DB folder with shared permissions that only designated users can access? If so, then I guess you can have as many of shared folders as you like?

donsimon
    Free Member

you want to give google more stuff?

They can have whatever I choose to give them, except the tin foil. You never know when you’ll need tin foil.
    Another happy Dropbox user, isn’t this what the tablet and smartphone were invented for?

Cougar

Windows Live Skydrive thingy

If you already have an account, it’s worth logging into. They’re upping your limit to 25Gb if you do.

I have one as I used to use Live Mesh; stopped using it as when it came out of beta they dropped support for XP.

These days I use SugarSync, as it’s the best fit for what I use it for. (Referrals for extra storage available on request)

allthepies
    Free Member

Just had my drive invite come though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just had mine.

I think I get free 25Gb as an app payer.

Going to spend friday setting it up.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Cool I bet dropbox respond by giving me even more space

druidh
    Free Member

Got it. Google Docs syncronized automatically.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why do people worry so much about their info being used/accessed – Bank Details excepted?

What the hell are you people up to?

I’m a dodgy bugger and I don’t worry what’s out there, so the saints on here should have no worries surely?

grum
    Free Member

It does also presumably mean if you are an artist, designer, photographer, musician, writer etc they could potentially just nick your stuff and use it for whatever they want and not pay you a penny. I imagine there would be an outcry if they actually did it, but why do they reserve the right to?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why do people worry so much about their info being used/accessed – Bank Details excepted?

What the hell are you people up to?

are you for real? intellectual property, business info, authors, musicians, film makers, photographers, product designers, software designers and anyone who wishes to store/selectively share confidential information of value over the internet.
    i upload imagery subject to NDA’s all the time (i use box.net)

SkillWill
    Free Member

Google clarified their position to deal with this sensationalistic reporting:

Updated at 8 p.m. to clarify that the first sentence of the Google terms states: “You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.” For more on this topic, See Rafe Needlemen’s FAQ.

Some seriously misleading reporting from cnet trying to make a story out of nothing.

More here: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/sr173/who_owns_your_files_on_google_drive_dropbox_and/

chrisdw
    Free Member

Just got Google Drive.

Its a vast improvement on Dropbox IMO. For some reason I just didn’t get on with Dropbox.

It is essentially an improved Google Docs (stuff now stays in the folders you put it in) with a downloadable application which embeds a sync file to your computer. Just click and drag.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve been using Dropbox for a while and it’s excellent – it’s one of those ‘just works’ services.

Trying Google Drive at the moment as well (they seem to co-exist quite happily). As far as I can see Drive offers everything Dropbox does but integrates very nicely with Google Docs (which we use as well) and with Gmail. It’s also less than 50% of the price of Dropbox.

However, Drive seems rather slow at the moment and I’m hearing of sync problems from other people. I suspect I’ll move over but not yet – treat as BETA.

andytherocketeer

Well dropbox is one of the sites banned on the corporate LAN so that rules that out. Think it’s also unencrypted on there too. Dropbox claim their engineers can’t see anything, but I bet they can when the feds ask 😉

Google T+C look just like standard Picasa etc. They have to be written like that so they can do stuff like use your content to display in albums to public or display your pics as promoted photos etc. (ie using your content for commercial gain). Ditto for the scanning of mails to use as input for their advertising. Not sure why that would be needed for Google Drive though.

Not used Google Drive as such, other than already having a few docs shared in Google Docs (which Google can’t really make much use out of), oh and something appeared on Android phone 2 days ago.

I trust Google more than Farcebook, but not by much.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Well dropbox is one of the sites banned on the corporate LAN so that rules that out. Think it’s also unencrypted on there too. Dropbox claim their engineers can’t see anything, but I bet they can when the feds ask

it is in many many workplaces. Doesn’t stop it being widely used within them. I can’t belive Google Drive will be any different.

Dropbox is pretty secure now – https://www.dropbox.com/help/27. Encrypted in transmission and on their servers. I think the issue they had was with their login system.

footflaps

I’m a complete Dropbox fan, been using it for months and sync all my machines via it (inc work). We use it to share big files with customers, collaborate between different sites / teams. It just works on every platform and is so effortless syncing machines in the background. Haven’t used a USB pen drive since I installed it.

the-muffin-man

Another big Drop Box fan here – it just works and the files aren’t just stored in the cloud, they are transfered and synced to any device you use, so you always have an up to date hard copy.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just written my Dear John letter to DropBox….

…as Google Drive starts syncing about 5Gb of files.

Seems to be working very nicely. Folder architecture is preserved, and when you click on an MSOffice file the default is to launch it in a viewer, so keeping the original file intact unlike if you RHC and “Export to google docs” it will obviously knacker up any special Excel functionality that is unsupported.
    Of course you can also use Google Search to search within “All Items” or within Folders. Very powerful, very slick. Im sold.

PJay
    Free Member

Skydrive is great. I’ve got a 25Gb free account and the web based Office apps. are free too.

Cougar, I’ve got Windows 7 and don’t bother with Mesh. You can use Skydrive with a web browers or use the new SkyDrive app. The app. creates a SkyDrive folder on your machine which syncs. to the online SkyDrive account (I think that there’s an XP version). If your computer is on and online I think that you can also access your computer’s file remotely through the SkyDrive webpage and app. As freebies go it’s not bad.

— Edit —

Sorry, no XP version which seems a bit daft, only Windows 7, Vista and Mac – Download.

timraven

Another happy Dropbox user, isn’t this what the tablet and smartphone were invented for?

+1

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Google Drive?’ is closed to new replies.