Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Google Chromecast
  • shuhockey
    Free Member

Google Chromecst is available in the UK today, I have one reserved at Currys to pick up at lunch. Anyone already use one? are they any good or should I not bother picking up?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on with yours.
    I already have an AppleTV and a RaspberryPi both running XBMC and they are excellent for streaming, but I could do with another – I’ll prob go for another Pi but it would be interesting to see how Chromecast goes.

johndoh
    Free Member

Why could you need more ways of streaming TV? Surely one method is enough after all they all show the same stuff?

clubber
    Free Member

So is there a browser (well, Chrome, obviously) built in?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got one, courtesy of Sadexpunk of this forum.

Bought it primarily for Netflix, which I understand works very well but haven’t tried it yet.

YouTube works well though.

It seems that functionality is a bit limited otherwise, so depends what you wanted to do with it?

chakaping
    Free Member

So is there a browser (well, Chrome, obviously) built in?

You sync it with a device, we are using iPad. Android will work even better probably.

hooli

I have had a US one for a few months and use it for netflix and youtube, works perfectly for those 2. Well worth the money I would say.

Hopefully as it is now in the UK they will licence a few more things like BBC iplayer etc.

IA

BBC journalists have been tweeting pics of iPlayer working on them this morning, so almost worth it for that alone for a lot fo folk I reckon.

EDIT: iplayer listed at the top of the list here now:

https://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

bencooper
    Free Member

We’ve had one for a few months – it’s good for chucking stuff from Netflix and Youtube up onto the TV. It’s not streaming as such – once you tell the Chromecast to play something, you can then do something else on the iPad or even turn it off.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why could you need more ways of streaming TV? Surely one method is enough after all they all show the same stuff?

Two TVs in one house and a TV in another house.

sharkbait
    Free Member

…. So it can’t stream from a network device?

hooli

Ah, good news on iplayer. Hope a few more apps too.

johndoh
    Free Member

BBC journalists have been tweeting pics of iPlayer working on them this morning, so almost worth it for that alone for a lot fo folk I reckon.

My take on this… If you have yet to upgrade to a new-fangled Smart TV, will the Chromecast be right for you?

My thinking is that the techno-freaks all have the latest stuff so don’t need one, and the people that have old equipment (for whom this seems to be most suitable) won’t have the technical know-how to run a device from their phone or whatever – if indeed they actually have a smartphone.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

No, it streams from the internet or a Chrome browser tab.

Basically a phone or tablet is used to trigger a stream from the web to the Chromecast, then can be turned off and the Chromecast carries on streaming. That’s all it does.

Very simple, basic but I really like it for Netflix, YouTube and Google Play.

Glad to hear there’s iplayer support, mine is a US version that shows location as ‘US’ in settings, so hope it’s compatible or there’s a workaround.

chakaping
    Free Member

Johndoh – Nah, it’s cheap, easy to understand and set-up and offers access to loads of content for nothing or next-to-nothing.

It’s gonna be massive I reckon. Possibly a “game changer”, to use that awful buzzword.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

johndoh – you could be right but I’m quite technical but have a TV that came out just before all the intergated apps etc. Adding this functionality for the £19 it cost me was perfect compared to hundreds on a new TV. I also think it’s so cheap that lots of techy people will pick one up to tinker with.

sharkbait – actually, it may be possible, using Chrome to cast a tab that’s playing network content, but the computer would need to be on too.

johndoh
    Free Member

Johndoh – Nah, it’s cheap, easy to understand and set-up and offers access to loads of content for nothing or next-to-nothing.

I couldn’t imagine it would be ‘easy’ to someone that doesn’t do technical stuff – how do they control it via a phone? Do they need an App? How do they get the App? If they don’t have a smart phone how do they use it?

Just not quite sure I get the ‘gap’ in the market.

EDIT: Now if the unit came with a controller, I could see it working….

hooli

It also means you can find things to watch on a tablet rather than using a remote control. Much easier to do.

As above, my 42 in telly is perfectly good but not a smart tv so rather than spend £500 odd on a new telly, this means I can watch netflix etc on the telly rather than the tablet.

sharkbait
    Free Member

No, it streams from the internet or a Chrome browser tab.

+

actually, it may be possible, using Chrome to cast a tab that’s playing network content, but the computer would need to be on too

= Meh 😐

I’ll get another Pi for the extra £10 (inc SD card). Will do more than the CC does.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive had one for a few months

I mainly use it for casting tab content from a chromebook (i.e. US tv series stream sites,,,,,,ahem 😳 )

I recently got a smart TV which covers networked media service and iPlayer. I dont use netflix. I have used it to play youtube vids controlle dby my Nexus 4 or Nexus 7. I not in the habit of using youtube for sit down entertainment though, unless IM missing something. There are some landrover mechanic vids I will watch on the big screen, but TBH I usually use my PC for that kind of thing.

I got mine for £30 on eBay. For the ability to cast net streams from a chrome tab, I think that’s right at the top end of the price Id pay as the rest of the functionality isnt yet one that Id use, as I think Google movie & tv services is still too expensive when I can buy DVDs from eBay for £2. Not to mention our BB isnt ace.

clubber
    Free Member

So if I wanted to watch something playing on a YouTube type Web page that doesn’t have a chromecast app, can I open the page on my tablet, send it to the chromecast and then play the content?

Stoner
    Free Member

not “YouTube” type, but YouTube yes. i.e vimeo isnt going to work unless they build an app for it.

You browse youtube on your android phone/tablet, then send the selected video to chromecast – it doesnt beam the file, just the link. Chromecast is playing it itself.

sorry clubber, should have read your post better.

Yes, you can cast a tab, but ONLY from Chrome browser (i.e. on your laptop) – its not supported in chrome browser for android.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, right, that’s what I wanted to know. Seems strange to miss that functionality from Android given that loads of people will be using a phone / tablet to control the chromecast

toby1

Would be worth looking at if I had broadband as opposed to narrowband I’m sure!

Stoner
    Free Member

oh google have been made very aware that a lot of people think its silly not to have casting support from android. As ever with google though if you’re at the front you’re always a beta user, the general public are part of the development process. They;ll get there eventually in their own time.

toby1 – we have c.2Mbs connection here in Malvernistan and it’s OK for 720p-ish streaming. HD works the buffering overtime though.

jonba
    Free Member

What does this do that the HDMI cable from my computer to the TV doesn’t?

I got annoyed with the iplayer and 4od on virgin being restricted (not all of the programs are on there) so bought a cable. Set it up on my PC then watch it on the TV.

clubber
    Free Member

It doesn’t do anything more than plugging your laptop in. It’s just a neat package without having to plug a computer in.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

It allows you to keep using the device that’s triggered the stream.

Laptop to TV – you need to keep the laptop on, playing the content.

Phone to Chromecast to TV – once the stream is kicked off, you can do something else on your phone or turn it off and save battery. It’s also a remote so you can do this from the sofa. Or queue up the next video while one is playing.

The SDK is out so there will be a lot more features coming.

A few beta apps let you stream local content already – AllCast, LocalCast

Stoner
    Free Member

although you can also use chrome browser to play local media files from the address bar and cast the tab as a work around too.

bamboo
    Free Member

Has anybody here tried it with Sky Go? I can output via HDMI from my laptop when viewing Sky Go through Chrome, I’d be interested if I could plug one of these into the AV amp and not have to mess with cables. Win7 can sometimes be a pain when trying to connect an external device.

johndoh
    Free Member

It doesn’t do anything more than plugging your laptop in. It’s just a neat package without having to plug a computer in.

But you need one to control it….

Stoner
    Free Member

no, you can use your mobile or tablet to control it. You do though need a pc on the network running chrome browser if you want to tab cast.

chakaping
    Free Member

I couldn’t imagine it would be ‘easy’ to someone that doesn’t do technical stuff – how do they control it via a phone? Do they need an App? How do they get the App? If they don’t have a smart phone how do they use it?

There must be millions of people with smartphones and tablets who are not tech geeky enough to get streaming on their telly yet.

Netflix will probably do way better out of this gizmo than Google, I reckon.

johndoh
    Free Member

no, you can use your mobile or tablet to control it. You do though need a pc on the network running chrome browser if you want to tab cast.

I know, but I was going back to my original point about the sort of people that might want to use something like this to upgrade an old TV not having smart phones etc.

I just don’t get it – it’s a basic piece of kit that does no more than may other devices out there already and requires something else to actually run it, thereby not being very suitable for the sort of people that might actually benefit from it.

Alphabet

I’ve ordered a Raspberry Pi and wireless dongle for playing Netflix just this morning. Now I’m wondering if a Chromecast wouldn’t have been a simpler option.

clubber
    Free Member

John, I think you’re mixing up people interested in technology with those willing to pay for it.

I’m very interested in it but have perfectly good TVs at the moment and have computers attached to a couple of them. I wouldn’t be willing to splash out for the latest TV with built in internet connectivity at the moment.

I would however pay £30 for a chromecast to allow me to easily make the TV in the bedroom have internet access without having to plug in the laptop as I occassionally do at present.

warton
    Free Member

interestingly, you can use a chrome browser to open videos etc held on a NAS or similar (by opening with ctrl – o)

therefore, if you then cast that chrome tab, all your network content becomes available, i think that’s a deal breaker for me….

fuzzhead
    Free Member

i’ve had one for a few months – good to see that iPlayer is now available.

For streaming films from the Play store and the odd YouTube flick it’s been great. I can see it becoming a very powerful tool as more apps become Chromecast-aware. Looking forward to watching the DH on Red Bull TV when the season starts (although live streaming isn’t supported at the mo).

BTW, I find in-app performance from Android devices better than Chromecasting a Chrome tab on a Windows PC.

warton
    Free Member

wel, I’ve bought one. Cancelled love film, started a trial of netflix, will update DNS tonight to get US version.

Plex and google films look like good apps, all looks cool!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Google Chromecast’ is closed to new replies.