Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • google+ and google+ photos – help please
  • sadexpunk

still trying to get to grips with my chromebook, and how everything is stored. slowly getting there, but i cant believe how difficult im finding it organising my photos.

ive muddled my way through orgainsing some albums, mainly transferred from picasa days. id like to organise them better tho, but i cant find out how to either rename albums, or even add to them.

f’rinstance, my phone takes some photos, i ‘share’ them with google photos, and they appear in my ‘all photos’ section. but id like to add them to an existing album, yet i cant find any way of doing this.

itd be great if you could just drag and drop stuff as you can on a hard drive on pc, but i understand that this way is different. id have thought youd still be able to edit your collection tho, but i cant find out how to do this either in the photos app itself or the photos section in google+

anyone able to help me?

cheers

mogrim

f’rinstance, my phone takes some photos, i ‘share’ them with google photos, and they appear in my ‘all photos’ section. but id like to add them to an existing album, yet i cant find any way of doing this.

Click on the top left of the photo(s) you want to add to an album, then select “Copy”. You can make a new album from there.

scotroutes

Top right on my Galaxy Tab2

mogrim

Just checked on my phone – you can only move previously uploaded photos to an album, long click on the center of the photo to select it. What I posted earlier refers to the webpage.

sadexpunk

thanks mogrim, thats a good start, ill get cracking with that.

next puzzle…… 🙂
    i have an album in ‘photos’ app full of dog photos. i try sharing it with family but it wont allow me. its the only album in there unable to be shared and says visible to only me.
    ive just taken another couple of pics of dog, tried to add to the album in google+, but the album doesnt exist there. so i made another with just these 2 photos.
    so…’photos’ app has 2 dog folders, google+ photos just has the new one. why are g+ and g+photos not the same and why cant i share the original album? its like it doesnt really exist?

thanks

EDIT: dont understand your 2nd post sorry. whats the webpage? google+?

EDIT EDIT: im doing all this on my chromebook, im not sure if a phone would have limited functionality or not…..

scotroutes

What “Photos” App are you using btw?

sadexpunk

google+ photos

scotroutes

Ah. Must be a chromebook only thing.

mogrim

EDIT: dont understand your 2nd post sorry. whats the webpage? google+?

https://plus.google.com/photos

so…’photos’ app has 2 dog folders, google+ photos just has the new one. why are g+ and g+photos not the same and why cant i share the original album? its like it doesnt really exist?

Check G+ isn’t filtering the results to “Highlights”, it does automatically. You can select “All photos” at the top (on the webpage).

i have an album in ‘photos’ app full of dog photos. i try sharing it with family but it wont allow me. its the only album in there unable to be shared and says visible to only me.

Not sure about that, I just click on “Share” and type in the name of the contacts I want to share the album with.

sadexpunk

Check G+ isn’t filtering the results to “Highlights”, it does automatically. You can select “All photos” at the top (on the webpage).

nope, all the dog photos are in ‘all photos’, im on about the ‘albums’ tag. surely they should all be the same albums whether im viewing on g+ or g+ photos? but theyre not, g+ photos has an extra dog album in which doesnt allow me to share. strange. was hoping someone could explain that to me.

i too just click ‘share’ on the others and theyre fine, its just this one album, but theres obviously something a bit weird with it if it doesnt show in g+ albums….

scotroutes

Maybe you’ll just have go back to the “invisible” one and copy all photos to the one you can share?

sadexpunk

just done that thanks mate, and now shared, so thats all good. ill forget that anomoly ever happened 🙂

next question……

my mate wants some of my work photos for a collection hes doing. google+ photos is obviously all stored up there ^^^ in the cloud. how can i transfer some of them to either a work pc or a separate hard drive?

scotroutes

If you log on to your Google+ account from a PC browser then go to your photos page you can click on a photo and download it from there

sadexpunk

think i tried that before but it kept bombing out. but thats the right way then yep? i think it also downloaded some as a zip file, then crashed.
    is it normal to download as zip?

scotroutes

Makes sense for bandwidth compression.

sadexpunk

great stuff so far, ive been solidly editing and merging albums whilst you chaps have been helping me out, so thanks for that.

im just about to try downloading a few albums to a portable HD. can i do the reverse, and upload some photos from HD to g+?

scotroutes

I don’t know what’s available in that Google+ Photos app but it can certainly be done in a normal browser.

sadexpunk

great stuff, on with it now thanks, doing it in the browser. only slight complaint is ive got a load of different holiday albums, entitled cape verde, phuket etc et, but you cant upload the albums, only photos. so ive just selected all the photos in one album, uploading them, then ill have to try and create a new album in g+ when its finished.
    itd have been nice if i could have selected all the albums, one click and then leave it all to upload and stay in their respective albums.
    no worries tho, thisll keep me busy for a while 🙂

thanks

mogrim

itd have been nice if i could have selected all the albums, one click and then leave it all to upload and stay in their respective albums.
    no worries tho, thisll keep me busy for a while

I’ve got to do something similar with about 3-4 years worth of photos, but really CBA!

scotroutes

You can create the new album (only one at a time though) when you select which photos you want to upload. It’s at the top left of the browser window.

sadexpunk

hmmm didnt have any success that way. it told me i could add to an album, but couldnt create one.

sadexpunk

you were right, i found it thanks.

next question….. 🙂

can i share all the pics with ‘non android’ users with no gmail address, or do they need google+ or google+ photos to see them?
    if i was to put in mybrother@hotmail etc etc hed get an email saying ive shared an album, but would he have access to them on his apple mac?

sadexpunk

also am i right to assume you cant have sub-folders? at the moment on my portable hard drive i have a ‘holidays’ folder with all the different folders of respective holidays inside that.

to organise on g+ am i just limited to ‘all photos’ which will have absolutely every photo on it and a waste of time trying to trawl through, or ‘albums’ which will just have every album in no particular order and no chance of tidying up with folders within folders?

thanks

mogrim

if i was to put in mybrother@hotmail etc etc hed get an email saying ive shared an album, but would he have access to them on his apple mac?

You’d almost certainly have to make the photos public, as Google has no reliable way of identifying your brother. At that point anyone can see them.

No idea about the album/folders thing, but I’ve never seen “sub-albums” on G+ so I’m guessing you’d need to move the folders out from the main holidays folder.

beej

You can share G+ albums on Facebook (just post a link to the album) so no reason why email wouldn’t work.

EDIT – go to an album, click on down arrow on top right, sharing options. Then there’s a “share via link” that gives a link.

Here are some motor cars:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/105888904351832179934/albums/6061236769532034593

sadexpunk

thanks chaps. beej, yes i can see them, but it opens in my google+, thats why. spose im asking whether my brother would be able to see them when he has an apple mac, no gmail acc etc. he’d get the email on his hotmail acc saying ive shared a g+ album with him, but how would he view them without g+ himself?

thanks

beej

Still works, just tested by going Incognito in Chrome. You get the G+ style interface but without being logged in to any account.

mogrim

Still works, just tested by going Incognito in Chrome. You get the G+ style interface but without being logged in to any account.

Exactly – but as I mentioned earlier, the photos will be public. Anyone who knows your name will be able to find them. Whether that’s a problem or not is of course your decision.

sadexpunk

right, so do i need to physically change the album settings to public, or do i just share with him, send him the link, but because of that they become public?

thanks

sadexpunk

right, this is really frustrating me now. i sort of understand the system well enough to work it, but for some reason some things dont work and i really dont know why they dont!
    can anyone help me?? whats happening is…..

firstly i took 10 photos with phone camera. a day later i take another 10 photos.
    i then go to phone gallery and ‘share’ with google+ photos. ok, theres a time lap, but after an hour or so only 4 photos are showing in phones g+photos app. another few hours day 2 photos are there, no day 1 photos.
    i open g+photos on chromebook and move day 2 photos to an album. i can now go to albums and see them, but i cant share them! every other album i can share, this one is greyed out.
    if i go back to ‘all photos’ i can see them all separately, and i can share them one at a time. i dont want to do this i want to share the album. why can i share single photos, but not the album theyre in?

and to confuse things even more, the google+ app doesnt even show the album still after a day. surely theres something wrong here? it shows both day 1 and day 2 photos in all photos, but no albums.

google+photos app just shows day 2 photos, the album, but i cant share.

ive just read that back and it sounds confusing so i apologise, hopefully you get the gist of my problem.

help????

sadexpunk

bit of a thread resurrection with a problem im having at the minute….

i tried embedding a couple of photos on the bike forum for people to look at and offer advice. used the tags, right clicked my photo on g+, selected ‘copy image url’ and pasted it between the tags. didnt work. got my bro on the job whos a bit of an IT wizz, he pointed me to a site called goo.gl that shortens long url’s. posted it up and i could see the pics. great, its worked!! but, only i could see them (probably cos i was logged into my gmail acc?)

hes since looked into it and we cant seem to figure out how to stick a picture from g+ photos into a thread on here for all to see (settings are set to public btw).

any ideas? for those of you using g+, how are any of you doing this?

thanks

scotroutes

OK – Google seem to have changed the format of the URL generated for an image. The first attempt above is what it now looks like. The last attempt was copied from a post I put up on the Bikepacking thread a couple of weeks ago.

sadexpunk

yep, thats what was happening to me…..

bro’s just hit me with another idea. can you see this?

EDIT: if so, then the answer seems to be to right click the photo in g+, select ‘open in new tab’, then put that long url into goo.gl and copy and paste THAT shortened url into the img tabs on here. seems a bit of a faff. thats if its worked of course 😀

scotroutes

I see it – the bit off your Hydrapack.

sadexpunk

yup, looks like thats the solution then.

that didnt take long 🙂 like i say, bit of a faff tho.

scotroutes

And now your photo has gone

sadexpunk

whaaaat?? really? i can still see it but you cant?
    i havent changed anything to it….

anyone else?

sadexpunk

ok, try this. can you see it? and if so will you check back later to see if that changes?

scotroutes

I can see that one but not the previous

sadexpunk

yep, im getting help from my bro on this. hes suggested putting the long url from the ‘open new tab’ page into bit.ly rather than goo.gl to shorten it, then copy and paste into the img tags.

the first pic cant be explained, hes wondering if google themselves block them for some reason but ive no idea why theyd do that. apparently bit.ly is the same sort of thing as goo.gl.

whole new world to me 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘google+ and google+ photos – help please’ is closed to new replies.