Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Goodwood Festival of Speed 2017. Accommodation and visiting tips please.
  • rockhopper70

I’d quite like to take my son to this as he loves cars, particularly exotics and CarFest was a bit flat this year.
    But, its at the other end of the country so I wondered if anyone had tips for the best day to go, visiting tips or places to stay etc.
    Driving and camping was a possible but the campsite wants around £300 for the Wed-Mon and this might be too long/too expensive.
    So, local travelodges etc?
    Only asking now as the tickets go on sale at the end of october .

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Take a folding chair and packed lunch.

No idea re accommodation, google and Airbnb?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Friend owns a shepherds hut that she rents out

pj11
    Free Member

Hi , there’s a travel lodge at Fontwell which is about 4 miles from Goodwood. Chichester is nearby with various options for accommodation. Obviously traffic can be a nightmare getting to the event but you can cycle right upto the entrance and chain bikes to fence. Friday is the quietest day.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Take wellies if it has been or is raining, especially for the car park (though I’m judging this on an experience from many years ago, but it was a big bog between the car park and the house).

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There is a camp site at Graffham, just south of Midhurst, which ain’t a million miles away. There’s a great pub just up the road too.
    Festival of Speed is effing fantastic! One day isn’t nearly enough to see it all, so do the three days. If he has any interest in cars at all your nipper will love it!
    Last time we went we took the tractor ride up to the top,( more than once…) while Bowler Wildcats hurtled down through the mud, Formula one cars tackled the hillclimb and historic rally cars flashed past on the forest section.
    Watch out for Derek Bell. He’s a chip thief!

diz

Hammyuk – could you email me details of your friends hut as I would be interested in it.

Thanks diz

Yak

Yes, can get muddy, but they put down lots of bark mulch to mitigate this a bit. Food inside can be pricy, so pack a picnic. Ear defenders can be useful for kids, especially if you want to get close up. This year there were lots of Can Am cars, so the noise and feel was phenomenal. Lots of pubs and some camping a short drive away, so check now for availability.

Bring your bikes too, lots of great natural trails here and qecp for some trail centre fun.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Email sent

garage-dweller

OP the traffic getting there from even close by is awful.

I’ve been the last three years and the only decent journey I’ve had was to cycle from Chichester train station.

I only live 15 miles away and leaving at 6am it still took me 90 minutes and that’s on the Friday.

When I’ve met up with people there coming in from Midhurst side the roads have been just as bad if not worse.

If I were taking my kids I’d be tempted to try and camp arriving mid-late afternoon on the Friday but I’ve never tried it so others may be able to tell you that’s a bad idea…

Dolcered

We stayed further out, Hove. Got the train in,then the event buses. Worked out well.

singletrackmind

Depends on how old your lad is but there is Gumber Bothy about 8 miles away?
    Otherwise train in from Havant and Havant Travelodge would work
    Its really busy and expensive inside, its not that I mind paying £5.50 for a burger , but I have issues paying £5.50 for a ‘gourmet’ burger thtas 1cm deep and made from cardboard stuck together with fat , served cold on a non buttered bap.

Plus the shuffling, so many people there its impossible to walk across the site ( which is huge ) with any speed or purpose

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Goodwood Festival of Speed 2017. Accommodation and visiting tips please.’ is closed to new replies.