Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Goodridge gear cables worth it or not ?
  • oldfart

Will these last any longer than XT ?Faff to fit or not ?£24 on CRC compared to £20 for XT.Good at keeping out crud or not?What does the team think .

rs
    Free Member

they look better

rootes1

well in car land that certainly give a firmer brake feel than standard auto rubber flexible brake hoses….
    but that only helps if you are talking about hydraulic brake hoses…

Shimano XTR gear kit seems a good deal sealed cables for a whole bike for £20 – I used this kit on my bike – £20 from action bikes

Just bought some Fibrax Powerglide Sport braided direct from Fibrax and they look sweet – match Hope braided hoses.

Like a complete tool, I ordered when inebriated and bought brake, rather than gear, so will be sending back.

£18.99 all in and they look very good quality – inner cable, end caps/ferrules and nipples/crimps supplied too.

martyntr
    Free Member

I’ve had my goodridge gear cable since September. Fitted them and have to touched them since. They have been a perfect fit and forget component, just like my Hope headset. 🙂 Plus I’ve ridden right through the Winter in the best mud and grit that they Welsh climate can throw at me..

druidh
    Free Member

Fitted the Goodridge gear cables on the Meta last year. Can’t say I’ve noticed any performance improvement over the original Shimano cables. They match the white Goodridge brake cable though, so they must be worth it 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

I just use white Goodridge gear outer (£4.99/metre at CRC) with whatever cables are in the bottom of the toolbox and Middleburn inline cable oilers . . . works fine. I think that the outer is slightly thicker than Shimano though so I use metal ferrules instead of those skinny plastic ones.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Don’t think their as good as XTR (imho).

I’ve had 2 sets and the outers wore through quite a bit with cable rub (against heli tape), they don’t come with enough ferrules to install them, (an extra ferrules pack is £6) and they’re noticably stiffer than XTR. Mine also creaked where the ferrules entered the cable guides on the frame near the head tube. One of my friends had exactly the same problems, not impressed!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have used all three of the above cables; I would say that if the fibrax is the same as it was 6 years ago it is ace: I still have a set of fibrax outers that have lasted that long; 4 years on a mountain bike and 2 when i turned it into my commuter. Nice metal ferrules with rubber grommets inside and very tough.

Xtr is the nuts if you have lots of cable stops esp top tube cable routing and does come with enough ferrules fot this. My xtr cablles have been well filthy and are still shifting very nicely.

Goodridge is also very nice and has that blue plastic stuff for sealed cable runs but as mentioned, will only fit if you have down-tube cables (or only one mech as on my dh bike) -it is 2 ferrules short for top tube routing. Oh and you have to like blue as the plastic tube is very blue indeed. It is very tough though and you can buy more outer from crc for uninterrupted cable runs, or a couple of extra ferrules and gubbins for more cable stops.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Goodridge gear cables worth it or not ?’ is closed to new replies.