Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Goodridge gear cable outer – is it the same diameter as brake outer?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

ie 5mm?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bump????

Olly
    Free Member

generally, brake cable outer is much thicker than gear cable.
    the internals are toally different too.

Gears are made up of thin strands that spiral gently along the length, providing lower friction and better accuracy.

Brake cable is made up of a steeply spiralling "band" of steel, sharp as sin when you cut it, and not as smooth on the cable inner, but able to withstand much higher compression forces, which is good on brakes.

brakes are 7mm?

gears 5mm?

no idea about goodrich specifically.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I beleive goodridge brake is 5mm (with the clear outer stripped off) or 6mm with it on and the gear cable should be 5mm (it is thicker than normal gear cable)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just need an end cap (1 thats all) and don't want to pay £6 for goodridge gear end caps

Sam

Gears are made up of thin strands that spiral gently along the length, providing lower friction and better accuracy.

Brake cable is made up of a steeply spiralling "band" of steel, sharp as sin when you cut it, and not as smooth on the cable inner, but able to withstand much higher compression forces, which is good on brakes.

Gear outer is designed so that it's length doesn't change as it's bent, nothing to do with friction or 'accuracy'. The outside diamter is usually 4mm.

Brake outer is a wound helical cable, also known as a Bowden cable. True that it resists compression better than gear outer. However both gear and brake outer will have a plastic liner in these times so neither design has anything to do with friction.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

if you just need a furrel then I would say 5mm… I could be wrong, but the goodridge cable I just put on is def bigger than the old cables I had

zangolin
    Free Member

Spankmonkey – Member
    I beleive goodridge brake is 5mm (with the clear outer stripped off) or 6mm with it on and the gear cable should be 5mm (it is thicker than normal gear cable)

As the monkey says.
    Goodridge gear outer = 5mm
    Goodridge brake = 6mm
    Shimano gear outer = just over 4mm

Shimano plastic gear ferrules are just a smidge to small for Goodridge.

The other problem is if the brake outer ferrule fits it may be to big for the frame's gear cable guide (depends on your frame you may get lucky?)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Goodridge gear cable outer – is it the same diameter as brake outer?’ is closed to new replies.