Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Goodbye to a great character.
  • globalti
    Free Member

I introduced John to mountain biking. His funeral is today in Penrith. Sadly I’m stuck in Africa on business but I plan to be there when his ashes are scattered off whichever mountain his family choose.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/09/11/widow-pays-tribute-to-mountain-biker-john-graham-who-died-on-skiddaw

He broke his neck going over the bars on a rock step in an area that some STW members know well. Remember, going out mountain biking isn’t about showing off for the Go-Pro and taking stupid risks; it’s about enjoying the day and coming home safely to your loved ones.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

“His warm smile, idiotic sense of mischief, great fried breakfasts, strange ability to break things and loud vocal renderings of early rock classics will stay with us forever”

Sounds like a great guy – a sad loss. I’ll toast him.

peterfile
    Free Member

Sorry you lost a friend, globalti 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Sounds like a decent fella.

All the best

jekkyl

hope the trails are dusty on the other side fella, fair thee well.

nbt

*raises a virtual pint in toast to john*

Merak

Sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with his family/friends.

Its a stark reminder that cycling can be dangerous.

Take it easy out there folks.

jamj1974

Very sorry for the loss to everyone who loved him.

Northwind

That is a magnificent eulogy, I’m sure it’s no consolation but how many people can say they’ve earned that? You could live twice as long and still have less to be said about you.

miketually
    Free Member

🙁

binners

His warm smile, idiotic sense of mischief, great fried breakfasts, strange ability to break things and loud vocal renderings of early rock classics will stay with us forever

He sounds like a top bloke. That’s really really sad news.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Maybe it’s because its a situation that you can all too readily identify with but that is very difficult to read without getting too deeply involved in the families loss. I hope they are coping as well as they can at the moment.

John sounded like he could not have been more experienced or more prepared for being out in the hills and like Merak say above it is a stark reminder that if this could happen to him it really could happen to any of us.

globalti
    Free Member

When our son aged 14 had a ski accident in January the clinic in Moutiers was full of gung-ho skiers, all young men mostly in their twenties, who had crashed while out of control at high speed, breaking many bones in their legs or shoulders. One who had multiple fractures, was even bemoaning the fact that although his GPS showed he’d been doing some ridiculous speed like 80 kph, hs Go-Pro had been switched off and he hadn’t recorded the crash. When I learned to climb the lesson that was drummed into me repeatedly was “always know your limits and never exceed them, be prepared to turn back and always have an alternative plan so that the day can be salvaged and enjoyed in safety”.

I really do believe people have seen so many emergency hospital and helicopter rescue programmes on TV that there’s been a big increase in the level of risk they are prepared to undertake.

But how many of us have tried to nail that one tiny move rather than back off and walk it or sideslip it? All of us, I’m sure.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

That’s a lovely tribute by his widow. I just hope I can aspire to something remotely similar….

Off to hug my kids.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye to a great character.’ is closed to new replies.