Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Goodbye Privateer – it's been fun.
  • Duffer
    Free Member

The last one just landed on my mat this afternoon. I’ve not had chance to have a proper look through it yet, but there looks to be some interesting bikepacking stuff in there, including a feature about EWE written by Aiden Harding.

Real shame it’s gone.

ratherbeintobago

Real shame it’s gone.

Yes, early issues were a bit shaky but the recent ones had been excellent.

Speshpaul

the SoCa road trip was epic.
    after 18 i might just start at 1 again.

johnnystorm

Such a shame. 🙁

ton

£10 for a frecking magazine.

wonder why is has folded………….. 🙄

RustySpanner

They should now post all the content on the net, just to piss of those who will try to sell their back numbers for silly prices.

warton
    Free Member

wonder why is has folded…………..

how much is MBR or singletrack? 4.50 / 5 quid a pop, every month.

privateer / rouluer is 9 quid, every two months.

do the maths.

RustySpanner

ton – Member

wonder why is has folded…………..

S’what I thought until they sent me a free copy (because I moaned about the price on here).
    It was very good.

sssimon
    Free Member

£9 for 10 times the content of the £4.50 mbr style comics

will be missed in my house, the wife liked it so much she paid for the subscription.

geologist
    Free Member

Just to balance out the Privateer love, I thought it was really dull. Too many full page photos of muddy faces. Tbh id rather look at an advert than a full page face shot.

brant
    Free Member

Nine quid??

coogan
    Free Member

how much is MBR or singletrack? 4.50 / 5 quid a pop, every month.

privateer / rouluer is 9 quid, every two months.

do the maths.

£9 for one mag. £9 for two mags. Maths for me says £9 for two mags.

stur
    Free Member

Yeh it’s a sad day… made even sadder by the half hour i’ve just wasted, looking for my name in the list of subscribers at the front. Jesus I’m so ashamed now, don’t know what came over me. I’ve not scrutinised a piece of print in such detail, since I found half a page of a ragmag on the way home from school.. circa 1980!

caspian
    Free Member

I’ve not scrutinised a piece of print in such detail, since I found half a page of a ragmag on the way home from school.. circa 1980!

Ahh, childhood

sharkattack

What was the SoCa roadtrip? As in, south California? I love anything to do with so-cal and bikes. What issue?

matt22
    Free Member

Mountain flyer is a good ipad magazine, American but they do some awesome trips. I did like privateer though shame it’s going

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cover price twice as much as a standard mag and about 4 times the readable content. Expensive yes, good value yes. Only read a couple (because I don’t generally buy mags, not a reflection on its quality), but like Rouleur plenty of content to keep you going. Interesting that the road market can sustain a premium mag but MTB can’t

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll hang on to issue 1 then, in case it increases in value like Rouleur

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It was expensive but worth every penny as far as I was concerned.
    The only magazine I’ve every bothered reading cover to cover!

tenfoot

^^^^^ditto

aa
    Free Member

Agreed, they went a bit ‘freeridey’ for my tastes for a little while, but, it was well written and had inspiring articles. And that’s what its about, not just rewriting the same old reviews about the same old (but newly improved) bikes and components.
    Farewell privateer, its been nice knowing you.

this_wreckage
    Free Member

^^^^^titto…?

Only magazine I subscribed to other than ST. And my ST subscription got canned a long time ago. Disappointed doesn’t cover it.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

MBR and MBUK not even in the same league.

Sad that this has folded as I came to it too late, was buying Roluer for myself and thought the GF woudl appreciate Privateer, then found myself more into Privateer. The always liked the behind the scenes view of the manufacturers. And the artwork and the fact they didn’t try to sell you anything.

brant
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    I’ll hang on to issue 1 then, in case it increases in value like Rouleur
    POSTED 57 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Though Rouleur had the advantage of not having me naked in it.

sharkattack

Has anyone seen the Albion BMX magazine? Very similar but free and going from strength to strength.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I bought the latest Rouleur to read in the Lake District thought it was shite yeah RIP Privateer

brant
    Free Member
    MoreCashThanDash

Though Rouleur had the advantage of not having me naked in it.

Rouleur does prefer longer articles, to be fair. 😉

Speshpaul

Sharkattack 16 i think, road trip around south Cal, riding spots, manufactures, people.

Anybody got any idea how much privateer was? i would have thought some muppet would have gone on about it.

mintimperial

I liked Privateer a lot. It was well worth my £9, and I’m as tight-fisted as the next grumpy Yorkshireman. I’m genuinely sad to see it go.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Never even clapped eyes on a copy………way out of my price range for something to read 😆

terrahawk
    Free Member

Well worth 9 quid. At least the 3 issues with me in were 🙂

Kahurangi

Well worth nine quid, only bought it about 4 or 5 times though. I didn’t get through it quickly enough. MBUK = toilet reading, Privateer = Sofa reading. If I have time to sit on a sofa and read it’s Singletrack or the current book; hardly ever had time for a second indulgent magazine.

I took my Singletrack subscription overseas with me and it’s a shame Privateer won’t be around to come back to.

colin9

sharkattack – Member
    Has anyone seen the Albion BMX magazine? Very similar but free and going from strength to strength

I’m reading the Albion. Nice mag, pity I’m not more into BMX these days to really appreciate it. Picked it up free in the LBS.

ski
    Free Member

Struck me more as a book than a magazine the free copy I got from SSUK was a cracking read.

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

What is your number on the back?

are they different or all the same!

Duffer
    Free Member

1086. Took a few minutes to find my name inside… I can’t understand why they’re not in alphabetical order.

johnnystorm

Order of taking out sub?

cookeaa

I hate to say it but Print media is a slowly dying business, and while some might consider £9 “Worth it” Clearly the majority don’t otherwise It wouldn’t be such a failure…

It might seem like I’m being harsh but TBH launching a premium cycling magazine in the middle of a global downturn, in competition with an increasing amount of, mostly free, online content and lots of established mags with lower cover prices, was about the stupidest business idea anyone could have…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I only subscribed a few months ago. Very sad to see it go.

I loved it. Wish I’d got onto it earlier.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye Privateer – it's been fun.’ is closed to new replies.