Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Goodbye Black Sabbath
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just found out they’re playing a farewell gig tonight in that there Brummagem. Truly gutted to have missed it. So long lads, and thanks for all the riffs 🙁 🙂

Anyone going?

And … Best riff? Supertzar, Symptom Of The Universe, War Pigs?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ey, Ozz was on breakfast TV this morning recounting his belief in the band.

Anyway, no Sabz thread should be without ..

[video]https://youtu.be/-bqHI5_uo3w[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Planet Caravan.

Not just a lairy metal outfit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theboyneeds
    Free Member

I opened the first ever gig I played to War Pigs. I always had a lot of respect for them after trying to nail that one live!

Edukator
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoweoZ6jpM[/video]

MoreCashThanDash

Shame I didn’t see this tour, but I saw the Heaven and Hell line up when they toured under that name just before Dio died. Sounded amazing.

Thanks for all the great times, great music and great memories.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Saw them at Manchester a couple of weeks ago – bloody brilliant.

As for goodbye…maybe on the touring front but Tony Iommi suggested there may be more to come still so fingers crossed…

mrsi
    Free Member

Supernaut is the complete package, riff, solo, great drums, zesty salsa interlude in the middle. Never disappoints. Apparently Frank Zappa was a fan too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Amongst thier many songs, it’s always the first one I reach for when having a Sabz moment..

CountZero

Saw Sabbath on the Vol.4 tour at Bristol Colston Hall. Those were the days!

CheesybeanZ

Very lucky to be old enough to hqve seen them on thier Heaven and Hell tour , probably my favourite rock album ofbthe last 50 yrs .
    Impo they should have retired a few years ago .

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Saw Sabbath on the Vol.4 tour at Bristol Colston Hall. Those were the days!

Niiiiiiice. Volume 4 was the first Sabbath album I bought, still my fave – I think it’s the darkest album they did.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJlBfgu7HDk[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B8A1To_-8Y[/video]

Epic.

Kind of an odd announcement for them to make RE final show though, and Ozzy has kind of got history there…

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Not just a lairy metal outfit.

It’s rock and roll maaaaaaaan 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Saw them in Manchester too – gutted to having been unable to get tickets for last night.

Still, I was one of the lucky 1000 or so that saw them at their warm up gig at the O2 Academy a few years ago (the 13 album tour) and got right to the front:-)

leegee

The sign of the Southern cross riff from Live Evil is one of my favorites.

cinnamon_girl

First time I saw them was at the Royal Albert Hall and, strangely enough, rock bands were banned thereafter! Saw them again at Hammersmith Odeon where Ozzy threw an item of clothing into the crowd which I fought hard for, didn’t wash it for weeks. 😀

The 70’s, you had to be there man. 8)

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’ admit to having been there in the 70s on this forum, those born too late to enjoy it think we were all racists, bigots, child molesters, rapists, perverts, stoned, freaks, lazy, violent, cheats… and still are if we’ve survived. 8)

cinnamon_girl

😆 @ Edukator.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Just got back from Birmingham after seeing Sabbath last night. The same setlist played as the rest of the recent uk shows with a bit of magalomania added to the medley. Still a good performance though.

johndoh
    Free Member

I am very surprised they didn’t do something a bit more special for the last night. Makes it a bit more bearable that I didn’t manage to get a ticket.

hatter

They’ve never been ones showbiz related flim-flam, part of their appeal.

If being at the last ever Sabbath gig isn’t special enough for you then I guess there’s no pleasing some people.

Was lucky enough to catch them in Hyde Park a few years back, the shiver down my spine as 100,000 voices san “Generals gather in their mass-eeeeeeeesss” will stay with me til my dying day.

johndoh
    Free Member

They’ve never been ones showbiz related flim-flam, part of their appeal.

I get what you are saying, but I thought they may have done a bit more of an encore and Ozzy do the speech that he said earlier in the week that he’d be making. Or maybe even a guest spot for Bill Ward…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

maybe even a guest spot for Bill Ward…

If Bill and the rest of the band finally got it together again I’d be stuck between opportunity and outrage deciding whether or not to patronize a ‘Black Sabbath Final Farewell, No Really, This Is It’ performance.

(Goes back to condoling self that missing an all-time favourite band’s farewell gig and having never seen them live is no big deal)

Was lucky enough to catch them in Hyde Park a few years back, the shiver down my spine as 100,000 voices san “Generals gather in their mass-eeeeeeeesss” will stay with me til my dying day.

^That

the-muffin-man

Never really got the admiration for Sabbath – yep a few stand out tracks but a good chunk of their albums are full of durge.

I think the cult of Ozzy has given then a bigger shelf life than they would otherwise have had.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My mini-review (agonisingly schoolboy-styled, as is fitting because like most of us I was a teen when my ears lost their virginity)

War Pigs by Black Sabbath. Live in Paris (1970)

Sabbath showed up sharp as a knife with the chops to boot. Ozzy in his finest and most acerbic voice ever, a stiletto falsetto slicing through the air, skewering the warmongers on their own words and swords. Acid sermons for the disaffected. Memorial mantra for those murdered millions. The music itself even sounds like war. Ward is brutalising that vintage jazz kit in an indescribable way that I’ve never seen or heard before or since. Iommi’s fuzz tone and feedback is now an unearthly insistent drone, now a brief silence, and now it explodes into machine gun chatter. Geezer’s pinning it all down with galloping bassnotes, running from the frontline to tell us that all this time we’ve been lied to by our generals, our politicians, our parents, our TVs.

[video]https://youtu.be/K3b6SGoN6dA[/video]

nickhit3
    Free Member

@Malvern rider

Geezer’s pinning it all down with galloping bassnotes, running from the frontline to tell us that all this time we’ve been lied to by our generals, our politicians, our parents, our TVs.

is a very nice line for a review, especially a schoolboy’s efforts. well done that man.

johndoh
    Free Member

Never really got the admiration for Sabbath – yep a few stand out tracks but a good chunk of their albums are full of durge.

I can forgive any amount of crap albums in the later days (and for me every album without Ozzy just isn’t Black Sabbath) because the first four albums were wall to wall perfect and I never tire of hearing any of them.

And to be honest, I struggle to think of any band that has continued to make consistently good music after about album three or four….

keithd
    Free Member

@Malvern rider
    That was awesome-how fit must Bill Ward have been? He was leathering those drums!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

because the first four albums were wall to wall perfect and I never tire of hearing any of them.

Not forgetting Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^’Sabotage’ was my first and their (partly therefore) best. On Warner Bros. It sounds/sounded positively weird/unearthly to my ears. In parts actually terrifying (Ozzy’s insane-sounding vocal shriek right after you’ve been lulled by the weirdly quiet and bubbling melodic bass intro of ‘The Writ’. Then that swelling wave of extraordinary-sounding layered guitar licks in ‘Megalomania’ and ‘The Thrill Of It All’

Heard nothing like it since. Just amazing.

The production of Sabotage was/is masterful. I absolutely love that whole album from end to end.

@Malvern rider
    That was awesome-how fit must Bill Ward have been? He was leathering those drums!

Thnks mate. I know, was like Animal from the Muppets having a perfectly synchronised tantrum, haha

Stoner
    Free Member

coincidentally I was just an hour ago having a lunchtime pint with a local friend who was very close to Black Sabbath through all the 70s and 80s. He has some extraordinary tales to tell. He spent months on the road with them. One day, he has promised to write a book 🙂

He does though hold a huge amount of scorn for Sharon Osbourne. She runs everything and is eye-wateringly greedy. She hated Bill Ward. He’s still in LA now, doing some solo stuff and drumming classes. But as much as she doesnt like Bill, my mate reckons she loves money more, and will probably sort out decent contract for him that doesnt royally screw him this time, to bring him back for a “Final, final tour” with the original line-up so that she can cash in again.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not forgetting Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage

True that.

But what is astounding is that the first four albums were released over a period of just 2 years and 7 months!

johndoh
    Free Member

He does though hold a huge amount of scorn for Sharon Osbourne. She runs everything and is eye-wateringly greedy. She hated Bill Ward. He’s still in LA now, doing some solo stuff and drumming classes. But as much as she doesnt like Bill, my mate reckons she loves money more, and will probably sort out decent contract for him that doesnt royally screw him this time, to bring him back for a “Final, final tour” with the original line-up so that she can cash in again.

But I thought she deliberately keeps Bill & Ozzy apart because it was those two that tried to bring down their worlds between them with mind-numbingly insane benders of drugs and alcohol and she fears that they would inevitably fall back into that trap should they be on the road again together.

Stoner
    Free Member

I gather thats the official line. My mate thinks its something else, but either cant/wont say or is just guessing. But on tour, Bill had to share a tour bus with the roadies 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Whatever there is going on between them, there is certainly more than anyone has ever let on IMO – as you say, a tour with the original four would be a massive draw – I would pay ££££££££s to see that as would many others.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Bill Ward just isn’t up to it anymore, he’s had all sorts of health problems and would never see a tour of any length through.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bill Ward just isn’t up to it anymore, he’s had all sorts of health problems and would never see a tour of any length through.

Yeah that’s what Sharon says, Bill Ward says he’s fit and healthy but he wanted to get an equal share of income (as Ozzy, Tony and Terry get now) rather than be on a smaller percentage.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye Black Sabbath’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts