Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Good Work Scotland's Andy Murray..
  • Smee
    Free Member

On getting to number 2 in the world rankings.

The BBC of course have him down as Britain's Andy Murray though. 😉

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Apparently he gets promoted to English if he wins Wimbledon

geoffj

I think you'll find he is actually Dunblane's Andy Murray.

rOcKeTdOg

about time he won some major comp to justify the no.2 status, but he just can't seem to break through the barrier to be excellent rather than really good

tankslapper
    Free Member

ChubbyBlokeInLycra – Member
    Apparently he gets promoted to English if he wins Wimbledon[/quote

Demoted surely?

Smee
    Free Member

That would be a definite relegation – several leagues too.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Don't know about Murray but your football team is definitely Scottish.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Brilliant. He's really made it.

BoardinBob

about time he won some major comp to justify the no.2 status,

Apart from the fact this is the fourth time he's won a Masters Series event…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Which isn't one of the four touramnets classed as a 'major.' By the way, he was described as Scottish on the BBC news this morning. Amazing!

jam-bo

does anyone actually care where the miserable **** comes from?

Kit
    Free Member

does anyone actually care where the miserable **** comes from?

lol, I'm sure you'll see the irony in that statement!

mt
    Free Member

Has he won a grand slam yet? Is he only there because Nadal is injured? Nadal still ranked 3rd but has been out for months. Murray is a great player but he will need to win a big one if he is to earn the Nadal/Federer type status. Fantastic to watch him play though.

BoardinBob

Nadal's back but he lost and Murray overtook him by reaching the semi

HTTP404
    Free Member

Murray is a great player but he will need to win a big one if he is to earn the Nadal/Federer type status.

I think you'll find he needs to win several big ones. Federer has won all four majors and Nadal just one behind.

His current form is great. And definite respect for his accomplishments in the Masters series. Good luck to the lad.

mavisto
    Free Member

If he, as a Scot, can't forget what happened a couple of hundred years ago and makes stupid comments about the England football team.

Me, as an English man, will not forget either and I hope he never wins another thing!!!!

jimmy

Makes you proud to be British, don'it?

feenster
    Free Member

If he, as a Scot, can't forget what happened a couple of hundred years ago and makes stupid comments about the England football team.

FFS, get over it.

He was responding sarcastically to teasing from Tim Henman and the journalist about Scotland's failure to qualify for the 2006 world cup.

His response gets quoted, but the teasing doesn't.

FACT!

This has been stated by both the journalist who did the interview (scroll about 1/3 down), and Tim Henman who were both there.

Ok, he's not that likeable, but it is utterly ridiculous that people use this as a basis to hate AM, and actively wish him failure.

AM is not the one with the problem.

Bunnyhop

Not a tennis fan myself but am really glad about this.

A close relative is showing signs of talent in his tennis club. So anything that gets the sport into the public eye is good.
    As it stands it really is hard to get sponsorship. Tim Henmans family were weathly and able to provide funds for him to get to the top of his game. Andy Murray's mother ( as I understand it ) is/was a really good coach, so knew how to go about getting funding and sponsorship. We however are going to struggle if things progress for my relative.

As for him being British/Scottish I don't care, I'm proud either way.

trailmonkey

british doesn't come in to it. he's scottish so i hope he loses, just like scotchishers hope we lose all the time.

it's the way it should be.

feenster
    Free Member

just like scotchishers hope we lose all the time

You don't quite get the Scottish/English rivalry, so here's my take on it:

[list]
    [*]When a team or individual is competing as GB, they are supported by scots regardless of home nation.
    [/*]When a team or individual is competing as England, they will unlikely be supported by many Scots, because we are rivals. It's what happens with rivals.
    [*]When a team or individual is competing as GB and they are Scottish, they get of course get extra support from the Scots.[/list]

trailmonkey

You don't quite get the Scottish/English rivalry, so here's my take on it:

if you say so. he's still a sweaty to me though 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Good Work Scotland's Andy Murray..’ is closed to new replies.