Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Good wheel upgrade for my Pitch?
  • grumm
    Free Member

I know nothing at all about wheels.

Just broken a spoke and put a pretty big ding in the rim on my back wheel – I guess it will be fixable, but I am wondering whether some slightly tougher wheels might be in order for the Alps/Mega trip this summer.

I gather the one’s that come as stock on the Pitch are not mega tough. Any good cheap deals on a slightly tougher ‘all-mountain’ wheels about?

Cheers

kamina
    Free Member

How about one of the Hope Hoops? Seem like pretty good value for money. They have new ones coming out any moment now with Notubes Flow rims which should be great for a pitch.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

XT hubs on 719s?

FuzzyWuzzy

Roval Traversee’s (esp. if you can get 2008 ones on offer)

Simon

EN321 on XT hubs are are good tough budget wheelset.
    Although I’ve just replaced mine with Hope 2 front/Bulb rear with XM719 rims.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the answer to every wheel question for any use is either xt hubs with 717 or 719 rims, or chris king hubs with the same rims, depending on how flush you are.

adstick
    Free Member

The wheels you have already are not that bad. Use them till they’re broke. If you want a new pair – Hope hoops (5.1) are very good value, or something hand built from your local LBS (prob more expensive) or if you’re feeling flush Mavic Crossmax somethingorothers (SX) are lovely.

You sure you don’t fancy a drive to South Wales this weekend?

sq225917
    Free Member

sx are very good this season, much improved..

xc-steve
    Free Member

XT do 20mm?!

EDIT: Sorry should have checked on CRC before saying that… http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20802

Awsome!

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

Use them till they’re broke.

Well the back one is kinda broken – but I guess its probably fixable. There is a fairly big ding in it and a broken spoke and its got a severe wobble.

You sure you don’t fancy a drive to South Wales this weekend?

Could do, as long as I can get back to Liverpool for 8 o’clock on Saturday morning to catch my flight to Geneva. 😛

Strangely, while I am really looking forward to it, I am slightly gutted about going away when for once the weather and riding conditions are this good. Went for a ride near Staveley yesterday and it was amazing.

adstick
    Free Member

One broken spoke will put the wheel out by miles. Get it fixed quick for the sake of the rim.

Forgot you were going away. Have fun!

jam-bo

really, i’ve got three broken spokes in one of mine and its still running true…..

adstick
    Free Member

Then the tension is all out of whack. Wheels don’t like being ridden with missing spokes either, you probably need to get it looked at.

theflatboy
    Free Member

xc-steve – Member

XT do 20mm?!

EDIT: Sorry should have checked on CRC before saying that… http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20802

Awsome!

i didn’t know they did one either, that’s pretty nice 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Hope hoops 5.1D’s though.

They’re £235 from Dave hinde in Northwich (now expecting mucho abouse for mentioning him) but if you drive down there and pick them up he’s sound

takisawa2

Any decent rim on pro2’s.
    Rock solid.

bomberman
    Free Member

have a look on merlin they do some great deals on wheelsets

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

en321, a very good rim for very little money!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Good wheel upgrade for my Pitch?’ is closed to new replies.