Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Good Veggie Cafe in the Lakes
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Now that the Lakeland Pedlar is no more are there any recommendations for a similar veggie café in the Keswick / Ambleside area.

geoffj

Wilfs @ Grasmere

Edit: I’m guessing it’s not there any more 🙁

finbar
    Free Member

Bookmarking as I’m off up to Ambleside next week and my girlfriend is vegan (but no suggestions from me, sorry).

benp1

Am I right in thinking that the only difference in a meat vs veggie brekkie is no black pud or bacon, and veggie sausages instead?

davetrave
    Free Member

Only go in Bilbo’s occasionally but I think they do veggie options…

Or the (not so, as people only think of the restaurant…) obvious choice – Zeff’s cafe, open from 10am.

boxelder

Zeffirelli’s, Lucy restaurants in Ambleside, Mason’s near Fishers in Keswick, Quince and Medlar in Cockermouth if you want posher.

crazy-legs

Zefferelli’s in Ambleside (on the one-way system)
    Not sure about Keswick.

Further south, Wilf’s Cafe at Staveley (round the back of Wheelbase) is my usual go-to cafe, they do some excellent veggie food.

Cougar

Another vote for Zeff’s. It’s a proper restaurant rather than a café but the food and choice is excellent. You wouldn’t know it was a veggie place unless you looked at the menu.

sandwicheater

Went to one that is almost opposite the bike shop in Ambleside. Very nice it was.

davetrave
    Free Member

Another vote for Zeff’s. It’s a proper restaurant rather than a café

Nah, it’s a cafe as well, albeit a bit more upmarket than the likes of Bilbo’s…

Went to one that is almost opposite the bike shop in Ambleside

That’d be The Fulling Mill opposite Biketreks then… Quite expensive for what it is…

Another option is Dodd’s, not strictly veggie but plenty of options.

traildog
    Free Member

Zeffs is always good. Bilbo do a great veggie breakfast.
    Rattlegill cafe is reported to be very good.

In Keswick, Saddleback always have a nice veggie option.
    I really miss the Pedlar though. 🙁

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Wilfs. Stavely

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Avoid Zeffs and their nut Wellington, especially this Friday

(Late booking and need to ensure that some is left 😉 )

Nipper99
    Free Member

The 3 bean chilli at the Little Chamonix café was very good if your passing.

alanbill99

Rattlegill in Ambleside. The best cafe in the lakes IMO. I’ve been to most. Very very good food, tiny place

sc-xc

That’d be The Fulling Mill opposite Biketreks then..

Possibly, although there are three bike shops in Ambleside. Is the Goose Cafe not roughly opposite the new one? and Esquires is just round from Gyhll (sp)

The Fulling Mill was shit when it was the Glass House, and remains shit now. IMO.

Zeffs usually good, but last week was shit – possibly something to do with the Spectre/Half Term traffic.

Wilfs V good, and surprisingly the cafe up at Lakelands in Windermere. I had a bowl of soup, sandwick, cafetiere of coffee and massive slab of cake for a tenner the other day.

Ate at the Unicorn in Ambleside the other day, not bad if you fancy some veggie pub gurb. The Log Cabin menu looked good, although I didn’t try it.

Worst in all of the Lakes is the **** Apple Pie Shop. Their idea of veggie breakfast is (I kid you not) remove the meat from the plate in front of you. Never **** again.

I also mis the pedlar.

Edit. If you want a huge veggie burger, and can put up with the insane volume of the telly…Churchills is OK.

tomhoward

another vote for Zeff’s. It’s a proper restaurant rather than a café but the food and choice is excellent. You wouldn’t know it was a veggie place unless you looked at the menu.

Aye, that’s how I found out. But it was too late to escape… 😉

grizedaleforest

Bit further out, Waterside in Kendal is good, esp for vegans.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Thought the vegi chilli at Wilf’s a bit poor tbh and not a patch on Little Chamonix.

davetrave
    Free Member

That’d be The Fulling Mill opposite Biketreks then..

Possibly, although there are three bike shops in Ambleside. Is the Goose Cafe not roughly opposite the new one? and Esquires is just round from Gyhll (sp)

Correct, but the one that everybody knows is Biketreks and the Fulling Mill is pretty much opposite, so the logical deduction based on the wording of the post. Agree with the remark about it in it’s previous and current incarnations though…

The Giggling Goose is sort of, vaguely, opposite Push, in an across the road and along Stock Ghyll a bit kind of way. And Esquires is around the corner from Ghyllside, when the poster said opposite… 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I went for a meal in TFM a few weeks ago – I thought it was ok as the Glass House further back (not in Ramsey’s time)

Really sad experience – caught between styles, a sad attempt to be up market but really rather bland and therefore overpriced. The partridge had as much flavour as….actually had no flavour. I left not feeling angry, just sad for the place (the staff tried) and the punters. sorry experience unfortunately

Trekster

http://www.chestersbytheriver.co.uk
    http://thechaletportinscale.co.uk/tearooms.html

Worst in all of the Lakes is the **** Apple Pie Shop. Their idea of veggie breakfast is (I kid you not) remove the meat from the plate in front of you. Never **** again.

Agree. Not a veggie but we were discussing this on Wed, poor service and food on recent visits 🙄
    Pedlar became poor value for money and service went DH…….
    Wilfs I still like but as per Pedlar needs a refresh…….

boxelder

Another +1 for Little Chamonix in Keswick. Great food and Tim knows his biking too.

freddiest

+1 for Rattlegill cafe in Ambleside.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Another +1 for Rattlegill

http://www.rattlegill.com/#about

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Good Veggie Cafe in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.