Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • good value, lightish shortish travel trail bike??
  • ianv
    Free Member

Something that can be ridden all day, will be reasonably easy to climb on yet is fun going down. Possibly about 120mm travel, reasonably light and no more than 2 grand for the complete bike.

So far I am thinking cannondale rz120 but would welcome suggestions.

Does the scott spark meet that criteria?, can you stick a 120-130mm fork on a superlight?

Alex

Orange ST4.. climbs well, descends faster than a blind man falling off a cliff, is pretty stiff (in the latest incarnation), 120mm at the front, 110mm at the back. Not as light as an Anthem-X or Spark/superlight/whatever but huge amounts of fun.

I think the lowest spec model is around 2k.. mine was frame only. Might be a heavy build but really it’s a brilliant trail bike.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Superlight

househusband

Giant Anthem?

robhughes
    Free Member

giant trance X?

ianv
    Free Member

The orange is too expensive with crap components for the price
    The anthem is too racey with a steep head angle

any other suggestions please

4ndyB
    Free Member

Cube AMS 110, superb xc/marathon bikes for all day riding. Several in the range, pick the one that matches your budget, the SL being the top of the pile @£2199

mboy
    Free Member

Off the shelf? Giant Trance X for defo… You just can’t beat them for VFM, and the Maestro suspension system is awesome too…

If you’re not sold on the looks of the Giant though (and there are some out there that hate it I know), then the Trek Fuel EX is an absolute winner too. Though those new Cannondale Rize 120’s do look pretty good.

Personally though, for £2k I’d be building my own bike. You can easily do it, especially if you keep yours eyes on some bargains from the classifieds, or ebay, and you look out for VGC 2nd hand kit. My Maverick Durance (frame only should have been about £1600) with DUC32 forks, and XT/XTR kit, Thomson post, tubeless wheels etc. doesn’t even owe me £2k. If you walked into a shop, it would cost you over £4k retail!!!

TimCotic
    Free Member

You see quite a few Superlight frames on ebay for decent money. The current shape (which is about 3 years old) takes 120mm forks, is low maintenance, and is more trail ready and much less flexy that the older models. It’s popular and easy to sell if you don’t like it – I’m hanging on to mine. 🙂

AJ
    Free Member

spark

tthew

Alloy Commencal Super 4? Bargain price at Evans at the mo. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/commencal/super-4-team-2010-mountain-bike-ec021442%5D

anotherstan
    Free Member

superlight with 120 on the front. does just about all you could ask of an ‘all day’ bike.

ianv
    Free Member

that commencal is too small, the top fuel is a bit racey.

some good deals from evans though

I am tempted by the superlight as I used to have one of the old hecklers and thought it was ace. Problem is, it soon adds up if you build from new and I dont think I could build a decent lightish one for under 2k, even with the cheapness of the frame

si-wilson
    Free Member

I could build a Chumba XCL with Fox forks, full SLX groupo with wheels, Thomson stem and post etc for £2150.

Similar to this

see here for frame specs http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/xcl_frames.html

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Anthem X with adjustable forks. Thread closed. 🙂

[edit] – You can stick longer forks on the Superlight and it works well. I did, and the 100-130mm Revs that were on mine a few years back are now on my Anthem X. I prefer the Anthem X – it’s stiffer at the back, a great all day bike, excellent value and really does ride (uphill and down) very well. Nowt wrong with the SL – it was a top bike, but the Anthem X does it for me. [/edit]

ianv
    Free Member

That XLC is nice but it would be too heavy and has more travel than I am looking for. I have a big bike for being silly.
    I want something that will be easy to ride reasonable distances, will be easy to climb on but will not be sketchy on the descents.

re the anthem point, anthem + new forks = way more than 2K

mboy
    Free Member

£1800 in a medium, from Pauls Cycles

Fox Forks, Crossmax wheels, XT/XTR kit, Raceface, Avid Elixir CR’s etc etc… And they ride amazingly! And it’s in stock in a medium…

Or the Trek Fuel EX (not the Top Fuel), it’s 120mm both ends…

tthew

that commencal is too small

How so? do you mean travel wise? 100mm rear and 120mm up front is the same as a sensible Superlight build.

ianv
    Free Member

“That commencal is too small”
    the one I saw was a small and I need a medium

si-wilson
    Free Member

Ian, how about the VF2 frame? I couldn’t do you a full build for your budget but I have a few medium frames at very good prices (sub 1k).

gonetothehills
    Free Member

ianv – Member

re the anthem point, anthem + new forks = way more than 2K

Just a cursory hunt around the interwebs digs up a size Medium X2 – XT, Fox forks, usual sort of stuff for the princely sum of £1,700

Pop the F100 RLs on the classifieds or eBay, pick up some Reba RLT Dual Air 120mm from CRC for £380 and you’ll have enough change left over for a new set of hoops from LifeCycles and a cake with a cherry on top. 🙂

That’s what I’d do if I had £2k burning a hole in my pocket (though that Chumba up there ^^ looks quite sweet too).

tthew

the one I saw was a small and I need a medium

Ah, right. You might even find you need a large, the sizing guide on the Commencal website put me there and I’m 5’10” though slightly long of leg. (Evans have all except the Medium BTW) (but I’d well understand if you wanted to avoid Evans, think I would again)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘good value, lightish shortish travel trail bike??’ is closed to new replies.