Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • good tyres for winter?
  • sapper
    Free Member

Iam using Schwalbe Nobby Nic 26 x 2.25 but find them very slipy in the wet and with winter on the way i think i should change them two a better suited tyre. any ideas?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you're after a proper mud tyre then I can recommend the Panaracer Trailraker. It's far from being an "all-rounder" but when it gets sloppy I've not had better. For a knobblie I don't find it too draggy either

firestarter
    Free Member

the bonty mud x is good for all round use in mud but the trailraker is brilliant for winter only use

abennell
    Free Member

i use the bontrager mud x tyres, really grippy and don't clog up at all, they survived hit the north no problems last year! The only downside is that they are quite soft so wear fairly quickly

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Trailrakers are relatively hard-wearing in my experience but I tend to put them on when I know I will need some help in the mud rather than have them on all winter

mikey74
    Free Member

Depends what sort of terrain you are riding: Where I ride, in the North Downs, I find 2.35 Super Tacky High Rollers to be good, but then again I tend to avoid mud wherever possible.

You only need a mud tyre if you end up ploughing through the stuff for long periods which, I personally, can't think of anything worse.

sapper
    Free Member

my Schwalbe Nobby nics are rated 5 stars for grip in all conditions but thay just dont make the grade in the wet. has anyone found same problem or is it just me

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You only need a mud tyre if you end up ploughing through the stuff for long periods which, I personally, can't think of anything worse

ha ha, yeah whatever. Try riding in the White Peak in winter and then tell me that 😆 You don't have to be ankle-deep in mud to benefit from mud tyres

njee20
    Free Member

They're rather slidey certainly.

Another vote for Mud Xs, great winter tyre.

mikey74
    Free Member

You only need a mud tyre if you end up ploughing through the stuff for long periods which, I personally, can't think of anything worse

ha ha, yeah whatever. Try riding in the White Peak in winter and then tell me that You don't have to be ankle-deep in mud to benefit from mud tyres

That's why I said "depends what terrain you are riding" – read posts properly first, but actually I find high roller super tackies fine in all but thick mud, and that includes wet peaks trails.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Trailraker 2.1's for the winter here in Scotland. Great grip and traction but draggy if you have to do much road work

tinsy
    Free Member

Swampthings in 2.1….. A pair is £28 posted off ebay…

Any mud tyre will be better in mud than an alrounder type tread, just pick whatever you can get at the right price.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

mikey74, the curse of the internet strikes again and offence seems to have been taken where none was intended. I wasn't having a dig and I did read your post. I was pointing out to sapper that "mud tyres" don't have to be just for mud.

And yes, it would seem sensible that when choosing tyres, it "depends what sort of terrain you are riding". Now I am having a dig by the way 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

Is it worth pointing out thet the Trailraker isnt Panaracers mud tyre?

They got one called a Fire mud for that, the Trailraker is a bit more of an allrounder with a slant on wet weather riding as it comes in slightly larger volume than the Fire Mud.

🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

tinsy, no it isn't worth pointing it out. Don't confuse matters 😆

sapper
    Free Member

thaks for all your comments and help lots to think about now

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘good tyres for winter?’ is closed to new replies.