Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • good tool kit under £100 (no screw drivers or puncture kit junk) :)
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Had to have to jobs done to bike in last 6 weeks. Bottom bracket bearings and now rear cassette bearings. Cost me £30 in labour charges so mite as well get me own tools. Ones that will last and not bend.
    Don’t like the look of crc ones for under £50. Look like there is too much unecessary stuff in them like screw drivers and that.
    I’ve got Allen keys adjustable spanners and screw drivers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy a BB Tool, Chain whip or cassette clamp (pedro’s do one) Cassette Tool, cable cutters and a nice couple of hammers. Add in some Torq T Handles (T25 at least) and that should about cover it.

Park or Pedros should go in that budget, ice tools are good too.

Extra Bits
    Cone Spanners if you have Shimano Hubs
    A good knife

Then buy tools as you need them.

core

Yeah, buy individual tools that suit your current bike(s), if you already have spanners, screw drivers etc there’s probably no need for a set, just get the specific bits you’re lacking. Pedal spanner, bb tool, chain whip, t handles, cable cutters, chain tool, decent tyre levers for a start.

jacob46
    Free Member

I suppose your right. Cheers.

jacob46
    Free Member

This any good guys?

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=190673030280

trail_rat
    Free Member

adjustable screwdrivers make good hammer – thats the only place they have fixing a bike.

the kit you linked to is ok , i would disguard the allen keys , the chain tool and the screwdriver – all three are poor and will likely damage componants rather than repair them.

get a good quality set of hex keys – hex plus if you can i reccomend weras. I would also add good quality t25 and t30 hex keys.

i know wera hexes are expensive – about 20 quid for the set – they are the most used piece of bike maintainance kit and cheap/worn/damaged allen keys were most often the cause of a tail between the legs at our shop.

hatter

+1 for what mikewsmith said, buy them as you need them and buy decent quality. The old adage ‘buy cheap buy twice’ may as well have been invented for bike tools.

Park, Pedros, Var and Unior are all worth investing in.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve had a different branded version of that tool kit you’ve linked to for four years now, it’s built numerous bikes and been used to keep our five running. If anything gets lost or breaks I replace it but so far it’s only losses. I’d happily buy it again.

The screwdriver I lost before I had a chance to use it so that might be crap, I don’t know.

trail_rat
    Free Member

interesting hatter – i bought a 29.99 tool kit similar to above – from all terrain cycles out of MBUK when i started out – age 13.

I still have various bits of it now at 28.

case is long gone but the cassette tool , the BB tool(for cartridge BBS) and the cone spanners and the headset spanner are all still in my box oh and i should add to the above – throw away that spoke key and get spokey pro – yellow(most stock wheelsets) and red(dt spokes)

I changed out the chainwhip for a park pro and the pedal spanner for a park pro – purely because id been spoilt with them and after 10 years throwing them about to pay the bills – they were the two tools in the workshop couldnt live without.

if you want a bit more quality than icetools try “fatspanner” and sometimes you can get deals on the birzmann sets on rosebikes.

different if your earning your keep with them but var and unior for the home mechanic is a bit like using snap on for the occasional oil change.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that does look good -comprehensive anyway.

i still stand by junking the allen/torx keys

dantsw13

This 3 way Park Allen wrench is a really handy staple for the workshop. I also have a similar Torx one.

Having used several crap cable cutters, a good set of them is invaluable. And a rubber mallet/persuader.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

First think I learned in a bike shop, “if you pick up an adjustable spanner you are fired”.

jkomo

I have the ice tools one, it’s ace.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 For On One. No experience of them, but look good value and comprehensive.

I’d also say that if you’re using these once or twice a year, then you’re never going to knacker them if they’re not quite ‘pro’ quality, so you haven’t got much to lose.

Superstar tools are also fine, and cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘good tool kit under £100 (no screw drivers or puncture kit junk) :)’ is closed to new replies.