Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Good to be back riding
  • nammynake
    Free Member

Crashed while mountain biking in Morzine back in July. I was due to ride the Marmotte a few days later but instead spent 3 weeks in a Swiss hospital due to liver and kidney damage.

The Doctor recommended no riding for 3 months (risk of impacts). I was given the OK to use my turbo trainer, which has kept my fitness topped up but clearly not doing any long rides has knocked my fitness back by a country mile. I was in the best shape of my life prior to the accident, doing a 70-80 mile hilly ride each week and several hard turbo sessions for the previous 4 months.

Anyway, today marked the end of the 3 month ‘rest’. Did a section of my usual loop, about 45 miles in total. My legs felt pathetically weak going up some of the climbs (incl. Norwood Edge for those in West Yorkshire) but I was actually pleasantly surprised that I rode the whole route without stopping once (except at junctions/lights). I’m guessing that all of the hard work earlier in the year wasn’t totally lost and that my cardiovascular system has retained some of its fitness.

Anyway I’m jibbering…just wanted to say how good it is to be back riding. Also, what’s going on with the weather? 18C today according to my Garmin – I was bloody baking in shorts, vest and a short-sleeve jersey!

ton

good on you mate

oh, I walk up norwood edge when I am fit…. 😆

nammynake
    Free Member

Yeah Norwood Edge is a brute of a climb – really steep (close to 20%) for the first couple of hundred metres which just zaps your energy for the remainder of the climb.

It never seems to get easier no matter how fit you get. I think it’s the old saying that it never gets easier you just get faster. Still…it’s just a warm up in comparison to Greenhow hill out of Pately Bridge!

dantsw13

Nice one! I mangled myself in Morzine last year, and after 3 months, my first ride back was ace.

nammynake
    Free Member

Here is the offending jump. Landing on ones head is definitely no recommended!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Good to be back riding’ is closed to new replies.