Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Good source for Uni text books
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any suggestions?

I’m after a particular one for Geology but it’s coming in at around £55-60. I’ve looked on ebay too.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Recent graduates? Students in the year(s) above you?

That’s what we always used to do.

I was about the sixth owner of this belter by Hazel Irvines dad.

lemonysam
    Free Member

There’ll be a facebook group full of previous year’s students. There was even one we used back in 2006 so there must be loads now.

mikey74
    Free Member

I haven’t started, so no contact with other students as yet, but I’d like to do some initial reading before the start.

cokie

The used options on Amazon.
    I’ve always got my niche books from there. There was a book I needed that was about £80 retail which I picked up for £9 and it contained some useful notes 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

I keep looking on Amazon, but even the cheapest options are £53 at the moment.

Northwind

Can you access the library yet? I think we lend to pre-students, they just have to sign the book out in blood.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I haven’t started, so no contact with other students as yet, but I’d like to do some initial reading before the start.

Get yersel into UNI – Stick up a “These textbooks wanted – Cash paid – call Mikey on…” notice on the department notice board.
    Wait for cash strapped, beer drought sufferers to call. Job Done.
    Also – gives you the opportunity to make friends with the older students in the years above you on your course. An invaluable source of coursework answers and other useful info. Also helps when all the other Freshers are bouncing around like rabbits in headlights when you can casually pass some older dudes in the corridor and give it ” Alright Dave, how’s third year treating you?” Makes you appear worldly wise and shit, innit?

thomthumb
    Free Member

abe books. or amazon for second hand books.

or borrow it from your local library, they’ll be able to get it in for you for a couple of quid.

cbike
    Free Member

oxfam bookstores near universities.

luke
    Free Member

I’ve used Alibis in the past to save a fair few quid.

crankygirl
    Free Member

I’ve used Abe books a lot, especially if you don’t mind having an earlier edition (usually just as good as the most up to date edition unless it’s a rapidly changing field). Just make sure you read descriptions carefully, I’ve known some students to think they’re getting an amazing bargain priced full textbook when it’s actually a ‘study guide’. Some are US postage too which is fine, just takes a while to arrive.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Have you actually tried googling for the title and .PDF ?

Might also be able to torrent it?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Post all the details you have. I’ve just spent a day getting myv reading list.

mikey74
    Free Member

Stripes: I prefer hard copies of books like that.

mikey74
    Free Member

This particular book is called “Understanding Earth”. I can get up to and including the 6th edition fairly reasonably. It’s the latest 7th edition that is pricey.

PiknMix
    Free Member

i have understanding earth, will check if I’ve got the pdf of it

Edit: no I don’t.

Put a notice up in your department, or put a plea out on your society’s fb page. Understanding Earth won’t be much use later in the degree so cash strapped students will sell you their copy cheaply.
    There also won’t be much difference between the 6th and 7th editions.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers Pik.

I have wondered whether there would be much difference. between the editions.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

If you change your mind about hard vs soft copies

Comment from discussion .

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been getting all my stuff through Abe books. It’s an amazing resource 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Good source for Uni text books’ is closed to new replies.