Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Good shoes for riding?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Am after some good shoes for riding with flats. Not really cycling specific and, as I'm 37 not not into 'counterculture', nothing like 5tens.

Anyone recommend any non-cyling shoes which they can recommend?

ton

salomon trainers are very good and grippy.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/#/footwear/footwear/trail-running

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Have a look at the five tens freerunner.

They're not as orthapedic like As the others but still have the stealth sole.

They come in normal colours as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dmiller
    Free Member

salomon trainers are very good and grippy.

I have a set of these but wouldn't cycle in them – too flexable. You would just wreck them I think.

Seggons
    Free Member

I ride in nike 6.0 shoes usually
    good grip, however lotek shoes are bmx shoes which are quite good

sourcebmx.co.uk, they've got a sale on at the mo which is rather good

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Vans with waffle soles. It's what we used to use back in the good old daze for BMX racing, and they're still some of the best (and most cost effective) riding shoes. And well RAD! too.

_tom_
    Free Member

Vans work for me, look stupid though as for some reason they make em so much chunkier than most other skate shoes.

jedi

etnies
    emerica
    dc
    orchid

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks Jedi but they represent everything I definitely do not want..

jedi

you can ride in thigh high boots if you want but that dont make it right 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Buy the shoes you like and then you can get them resoled with the stuff they use on 510s.Can

r

m sure someone will be able to advise.

atlaz
    Free Member

Don't think skate shoes count as "counterculture", and if you're on an MTB, surely the only thing to really worry about is whether they work on the bike? Your call obviously.

If that's no good… how about something like this:

http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_13&products_id=15

or

http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_14&products_id=16

atlaz
    Free Member

As an aside, for the people who are okay with skate shoes, looks like five ten finally designed a really good looking shoe:

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/24-spitfire-black-grey

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Some of the specialized cylce shoes (the taho I think) come with a hard sole, and you have to cut a section out for the cleat, so if you don't use spds you can don't have to cut it out and have a pair of shoes ideal for riding!
    and, you've always got the option to cut the section out and put cleats in for spds in the future 🙂

Northwind

Shimano AM40s? They don't look "counterculture", mainly they just look horrible. But they're very good shoes.

Otherwise, Vans with either the full waffle sole or, if you can find them, the older dot sole. They're available in loads of different styles, some of which are very understated. They're just shoes tbh, nothing skatery about them at all.

gra

I tried some Nike 6 Zoom Oncore on today, they were really comfortable and I have heard good things about the soles and flat pedals. They also got the approval of my wife who can't stand the look of Five.Tens. So hopefully a pair will be coming my way on my birthday…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

have recently bought 5.10s but also use old pairs of Vans shoes with waffle sole and they are plenty grippy, and with the larger platform of flatties you dont need a stiff sole (my first observation of riding 5.10s wasnt wow how grippy it was hmmm stiff sole cant feel the pedals).

I'm 38 and wear Vans and Etnies anyway. Nothing counter culture about them, Vans became synonymous with skateboarding first time around when you and I were at primary school! many of their designs are pretty restrained, and shoe discount shops and TK maxx often have em in for 20 quid or so.

http://www.vans.net.au/wawcs0130206/tn-history.html

montylikesbeer

a cheap pair of bmx vans from about £20, amazing grip, cheap, well padded, come in rucks of colours.

Try tk max for good deals

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I have used some Adidas Originals for the last year. They were all black 'Stan smith' sytle shoes with an almost perfectly flat sole that was rock solid once on my flats. Zero movement on the pedal. I got on with them good, but it could get a bit hairy if for any reason you had to bike-a-hike on slippery ground. I changed out the insoles with the ones from my Spesh BG shoes for extra support and stiffness.
    Cheap in the sale and sound in the pub after!

thomthumb
    Free Member

they represent everything I definitely do not want..

reebok classics?

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I have used some Adidas Originals for the last year. They were all black 'Stan smith' sytle shoes with an almost perfectly flat sole that was rock solid once on my flats. Zero movement on the pedal. I got on with them good, but it could get a bit hairy if for any reason you had to bike-a-hike on slippery ground. I changed out the insoles with the ones from my Spesh BG shoes for extra support and stiffness.

Just got a deal on some Fiveten Freerides tho, i've heard good things about Stealth rubber off friends of mine but couldn't stand the look of the traditional shoe.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Just got a deal on some Fiveten Freerides tho, i've heard good things about Stealth rubber off friends of mine but couldn't stand the look of the traditional shoe.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

I've been riding in adidas originals, they're ok in dry conditions but when it gets wet they become a bit sketchy.

I have some FiveTen freerunners for sale in the classifieds, they're new but a size too big. When I sell these I going to buy some more FiveTens, the stealth sole is really good.

peachos
    Free Member

i'm currently riding in some Karrimor low cut walking shoes that i picked up from TK Maxx for £20. the sole is nice and stiff (like vibram, but not), they're dead grippy on the pedals – moreso than my old Etnies, great for hike-a-bike, and have a waterproof liner.

these are the ones in fact – http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/Camping-and-Outdoor/Karrimor-Walking-Boots/Karrimor-Mens-Walking-Boots/Karrimor-ksb-Mount-Low-Mens-Hiking—Walking-Boots-Black/0004730p.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomparison

i can't see why people would spend £80 on 5tens.

jam-bo

i can't see why people would spend £80 on 5tens.

because they work significantly better than ANY other shoes I have tried in 20 years of dicking round on bikes. to me thats well worth £80.

peachos
    Free Member

in what way do they 'work better'?

jam-bo

in that I put my foot on the pedal and it stays there until I choose to take it off.

i have plenty of scars to prove that wasn't always the case.

peachos
    Free Member

maybe it was user error that you fell off the pedals all of the time? i have never experienced such issues, so i suppose that's why i could never justify such a ridiculous outlay.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I've been riding in Scarpa Quest approach shoes for the past year or so and have been loving them, perfect for with flats…

freeridenick
    Free Member

5/10s really are worth the money. so much better in every respect.
    more grip
    more protection
    more supportive
    and perfect for hike a bike missions in the lakes/alps etc. which is what I use mine for primarily.

peachos – stiff sole is not what you want IMO – those look wrong to me

Tomahawk
    Free Member

There are some deals around on 5ten freeriders'…

Got mine for 60 english pounds on ebay, even better value!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends what your riding really, if its fast bumpy downhill the 5:10s are great cos they give loads of grip.

The soles are too thick though and you cant feel the pedals properly which makes them a bit shit for jumps and less gnarly xc

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

5-10 Freeriders. Designed for biking, got the stealth sole, but look like understated mainstream skate shoes. Had mine for a year – v. comfy. Thinking of getting some for casual wear

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

These:

peachos
    Free Member

peachos – stiff sole is not what you want IMO – those look wrong to me

well, when i say stiff i don't mean stiff like spd shoes, but stiff enough for decent power transferance. those shoes are spot on for biking, but because they've not had all the marketing bollox (like 5.10) you'll probably think they not fit for purpose and somehow don't work.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

5-10 Freeriders. Designed for biking, got the stealth sole, but look like understated mainstream skate shoes.

Thats the bad boys… mine will be waiting for me when i get home.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Peachos have you actually tried 5/10s!

jam-bo

peachos -I explained why I would spend £80 on a pair of 5:10's. i'm sure your shoes work for you and I'm happy for you to spend your money on them.

5:10's work for me and thousands of other flat pedal riders. you will be in a minority at a DH race if you aren't using them and given the styling, that really isnt a fashion thing….

Cougar

I ride in Solomon approach shoes. Waterproof, warm, breathable and comfortable, and whilst they're slippy on el cheapo beartraps they stick like a catholic priest to a small boy on DMRs.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

You tend to get what you pay for, FiveTens being the best I have come across for flat pedals.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Good shoes for riding?’ is closed to new replies.