• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by pcb.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Good Riding In Taunton Area?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

We’re going away for a week and staying somewhere around the Taunton area, from what I can gather it’s about halfway between Taunton and Exmoor.

Can anyone recommend any decent riding in the area?
    I’m sure there’s going to be some but I’d like to get an idea where’s best to go before we head off down there.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The Quantocks are just down the road from Taunton.

tom200

+1 for the quantocks, doesn’t look like much on a map but the riding is ace.

grubbish
    Free Member

Quantocks is great with some downhill trails at Triscombe too

thepurist

Yep quantocks are well worth it, and so is Exmoor. Do a forum search for “Porlock” to dig up some threads on Exmoor routes.

tom200

Pack a granny ring for Exmoor!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Pack a granny ring for Exmoor!

And the Quantocks, the climbs aren’t massive but they’re steep and there’s lots of them 😉

oxym0r0n

Quantocks/Exmoor – knock yourself out!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Nice, sounds like plenty of good riding around the area then 🙂

Are there many marked routes in the area or would I be better or digging about to see if I can find some routes for the Garmin and following them instead?

dropoff

The only marked trails in the area are at Haldon hill by Exeter, other than that the Blackdowns offer some nice trails but you may have a job finding them without a local.

MadBillMcMad

just head up or down anything that looks good. You miss some stuff but in general it’s grin grin grin. Here is a good base with Frog Combe a must. Good pub in Holford for grub too.

Will be fab in the Spring with all the bluebells too.

didgerman
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with Quantocks, check you’re on a bridleway though.
    Dunster to Dunkery Beacon was a favourite of mine. Return via Porlock and North Hill into Minehead for chips.

pcb
    Free Member

The Quantocks have loads of great riding, grab an OS map and go explore

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Good Riding In Taunton Area?’ is closed to new replies.