Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Good riding around Ross on Wye?
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I recently changed jobs and now work in Tewkwesbury with Friday afternoons off! Iv decided that Friday afternoon is now riding time so I’m keen to check out new locations not too far from work. My normal stomping ground is Malvern but I’v done it to death – I’v tried the Cotswolds but haven’t been too impressed. I recently went for a walk (to keep the GF happy) around Goodrich Castle and found some promising looking techy stuff there on Coppet Hill. Does anyone ride around that area or anywhere else not to far from the end of the M50? I’m keen to go exploring this Friday but would benefit from a bit of local knowledge before I set off.

Stoner
    Free Member

“Alex” on the forum sometimes may be able to help, he’s based a bit further towards Hobbit-land than me (Between Upton and Malvern).

You might also consider Forest of Dean as you’re closer than Ross and there’s loads of trails in there.

Look out for posts by “Tollah” on the subject.

zangolin
    Free Member

Forest of Dean – from the Bike centre.

Bedds
    Free Member

I ride with Al a fair bit.. he’s ledbury.

There is Coppett Hill to ride, very unwelcome up there though chap, best do it on the quiet. IMHO Chase Woods (the wood at the back of ross) is a bit rubbish.. few trails and mainly overgrown. FOD all the way to my mind, drop us an email if you want and I’ll give you some info :o)

I live in FOD so it’s my local stomping ground 🙂

fuzzhead
    Free Member

as above, head for the FoD

Alex

Ullo 😉 Ledbury indeed. I’m not that posh. I’ve done some exploring around Ross and it’s not great. There are some woods local-ish to there, but you’re as close to the FoD.

A guide helps. Happy to help out if Ian can’t.

tollah
    Free Member

there’s nothing to ride or see in the FOD, move along……

😉

ndthornton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses
    Sounds like Forest of Dean is worth checking out.
    Are the marked trails any good or do you need to go off piste?

Bernaard
    Free Member

Anything around Symonds Yat? Used to go climbing there back in the day and thought about it as I passed on the way to Wales that it is full of potential.

ski
    Free Member

Apart from FOD which is a must if you live that close..

Clent & Bredon are worth a trip if you want a change from Malvern.

Wyre Forest has some hidden jems too, if you know where to look 😉

Are the marked trails any good or do you need to go off piste?

FOD marked trails are worth doing, but again, worth hooking up with a local to link up some of the best stuff.

tollah
    Free Member

1 waymarked trail in the FOD and to be fair not really worth the trip down for it. There’s funding for another trail at some point.
    If you want me to show you about one weekend I’m happy to do that however you probably won’t remember anything! And judging by past rides you may get lost!
    Although bestvthingvto do is park at Pedalabikeaway and just follow your nose.

psling
    Free Member

Best to avoid Coppett Hill; half of it is shooting estate and the other half is managed by the home-owners who watch it like a hawk 😯

The woods above Symonds Yat offer some reasonable riding but it’s difficult to put a route together without local guide.

Forest of Dean is great; I’ve spent days there finding my way out after going on a ‘tollahride’… 😉

bottombracket
    Free Member

I tried Copit hill but wouldnt do it again. met this nice lady who said it was a nature reserve and was owned by the village and that they all came out and maintained the paths. seems that bikes dont fit in and i could see her point. also said that the hill was regularly patrolled by locals. saw one later and he wasnt as nice as the lady. i certainly wont be going back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Good riding around Ross on Wye?’ is closed to new replies.