• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by km79.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Good quality tool boxes
  • richmtb

I’ve variously bought, inherited and acquired a good selection of half decent bike and general purpose tools over the years

But whenever I take them anywhere they get thrown in a shitty yellow plastic Stanley toolbox that has a crack in the lid.

Recommend me a decent quality portable toolbox to put them in

Cheers

YoKaiser
    Free Member

What about a tool roll? Saw an article on the home page one day and got one. I have my most used tools in it and roll it out when I’m working on the bike, this is bolstered by another box containing the lesser used tools. The tool roll normally comes with me in the car when I’m away for the day(chucked in a box of spares and stuff).

EDIT: http://singletrackworld.com/2015/05/spotted-at-tweedlove-a-tool-roll-to-covet/

daern
    Free Member

I now use this one for my more common portable tools, in place of a hodge-podge of flight cases and boxes. Perfectly sized and the slide out cantilevers are perfect for holding hex keys, cutters etc:

It’s about the closest I’ve found to a perfect bike toolbox. The only downside is that it’s not huge, so while it’s OK as a portable box, I still have loads of other boxes that hold the more eccentric tools that get used less often.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice set up there daern.

I have a Mastercart and it’s pretty useable for home and away, but quite not so organised as that.

daern
    Free Member

Nice set up there daern.

I have a Mastercart and it’s pretty useable for home and away, but quite not so organised as that.
    Thanks! The plastic “mano” box with the yellow clips was from the pound shop and I can fit two of them under the slide-out drawers. They’re perfect for nuts, bolts, chain links, cable ends and stuff. The second one (not shown here) has a nice selection of brake pads in it, all organised in such a way that I should be able to tell when I run low on a specific type so can restock 🙂

richmtb

Daern that looks pretty good, its also about the size I’m looking for.

I don’t need loads of space for spares as they tend to go in a couple of those Really Useful Boxes – which are well made and tough.

daern
    Free Member

It really is a cracking box. It’s also waterproof (well, it has a waterproof seal around the lid) so seems to be pretty good at keeping damp out of the tools, which is useful in a garage.

I now need something much bigger for my garage as my old garage drawers are knackered and need replacing. I was thinking that this might look lovely… 🙂

km79
    Free Member

I use the same stanley fatmax one as daern. It’s great, fits more tools than you would think, the top two trays fold out flat giving easy access to everything at once, and it has proven durable and well constructed. Makes a handy wee seat also.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Good quality tool boxes’ is closed to new replies.