Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Good places to live in Edinburgh?
  • alpinegirl
    Free Member

Hi, I’m planning on doing a masters in Edinburgh come September so need to start looking for a place to stay. I know it might be a bit late with the festival coming up but nevermind…

Ideally I’d like something by myself for around £500ish. It needs to have storage for a few bikes. I’m not super fussy but I’d like somewhere fairly central (3 miles max from Holllyrood) but also close to greenery and where it’s easy to get out of the city. And not too dodgy, so I can walk/ride home at night okay.

I’d appreciate any suggestions/recommendations! Thanks!

hels
    Free Member

You’ll be wanting the south side then. Polwarth, Morningside, Bruntsfield all close enough to Holyrood. If you get the other side of town it’s a right hassle to get out.

Nice flats in Edinburgh are more like £550-600 for a one bedroom btw, esp as close to Holyrood park as you are wanting. And I wouldn’t walk home at night anywhere in Edinburgh, especially around the University area.

peterfile
    Free Member

Bruntsfield would be my choice (I was flat hunting there just last year).

It’s got a really nice vibe. I can’t believe i just used that phrase, I must be getting old 🙁

bajsyckel

For areas that are good for greenery, easiest to get out of town (for riding etc) pretty much as Hels says. Draw a line roughly East-West along the northern edge of the Meadows and look South of there. So, around Tollcross, Fountainbridge, Merchiston, Polwarth, Bruntsfield, Morningside, Marchmont, Newington, Sciennes, Blackford, Liberton… loads to have a go at. Could go plenty of places elsewhere if you find a good flat, but based on those criteria alone, that’d be my shortlist.

Safety wise, I wouldn’t give it much thought in any of these areas – some are most genteel Edinburgh – obviously make sure you’re comfortable with them though. All areas have different feel, Polwarth, Morningside and Newington probably would be my picks for access to other useful stuff on doorstep and some good value one bed lets in amongst the more usual larger tenements.

Try and get a 1 bed with a box room (that hasn’t been converted to the kitchen) and no carpets and bikes will be fine. Don’t keep them on the stair if you value them. Don’t worry about being too late for lets, just wait till after the festival, trying to do anything productive until then will likely be pretty frustrating. Loads of last minute students will be looking in early September, but most will be looking for flatshares. Like hels, I think cost will be your problem – a flatshare would be easy under £500, a one bed might be trickier.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’d suggest that there are parts of the north of the city which are handy. We lived in Trinity for 4 years. Lovely quiet, leafy area with free parking and nice neighbours but still 3 miles from Holyrood and you can actually get out of the city very easily as if you are going West or North – you don’t have to go through the city centre and just nip round good flowing 30-40mph roads. Trinity also has great off road cycle connections on old railway lines. Walking distance from Leith or the city centre if you want, although buses are available too.

Rents in Edinburgh have dipped a little recently after rising steadily for the past few years.

hels
    Free Member

True, the New Town, Inverleith and Trinity are enclaves in the north of Edinburgh, the rest is mostly bandit country.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve only lived north of the city briefly, having to ride through town to do ANY ride was a PITA and getting out via car must be poor also.

I’m a Portobello fan/resident. Getting to the bypass is quick and you can get out to East Lothian quickly for road rides too. Plus you’re by the beach and it doesn’t feel quite like living in a city.

bajsyckel

I was assuming that a masters student is unlikely to have use of a car, and although Porty, Trinity etc. are decent places to live they’re not as good as the south side for easy access to riding or the uni related stuff at all hours as asked for in the OP. But that’s IMO and assumption might be completely wrong.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ve lived all over Edinburgh, in studios, H.M/O’s, sqaulid premises not befitting of “bedsit” and now a crackin’ 1 bed with garden front and back.

Living in Newhaven was wonderful. Near the water, plenty of parks, great quiet access into the city.

Fountainbridge/Tollcross/Dalry… that’s another thread.

Now i’m in a new build near Baberton in the South West. It’s bolted on to a notorious shitehole, but i’m right on the canal and the Pentlands so i’m staying put.

Always check your neighbours before signing ‘owt.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Great, thanks for all the suggestions – gives me somewhere to start looking. Portobello was somewhere I thought about but my sister said it’s a bit grotty and built up?

bajsyckel is right – I don’t have a car so it is more getting out on bike (road or mountain) or by public transport – although might be being a bit too optimistic about that having been abroad the last few years. I’m a bit older than the average student so don’t think there will be too many late nights but I’m used to quiet village life and am a bit apprehensive of big city life!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Public transport in Edinburgh is good. Consider leith / trinity are as well but southside would perhaps suit your needs best. anywhere is easy to ride out of the city from – but again southside might be best

Kunstler

My flat is less than a mile from Holyrood. I spent an age flat hunting and it paid off. I love the place I’m in now – very, very quiet side street that is only a ped/bike throughfare. Just off Easter Road – it’s 10mins down a cycle path to the sea and along to Porty beach. If I want to head out to the Pentlands then I can start with a ride around Arthurs Seat on the way.
    I’ve lived in Meadowbank, Stockbridge and the New Town – been very lucky with finding good flats in all these places. Probably the least lucky was when I didn’t have a lot of time to look around much and took the first option. That didn’t work out too badly though. I’ve got a lot of friends who have also moved into this area (Leith Walk/Easter Road). There’s some good pubs here too.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Which area do you think has the best vibe?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Portobello was somewhere I thought about but my sister said it’s a bit grotty and built up?

It’s mixed for sure but some areas are reet posh. It’s not flash either, but has a couople of decent pubs and places to eat. Turkish baths too.

I think Abbeyhill is OK to live at, not sure re going out but you are close to town and Arthur’s Seat.

Gnnr

Another thumbs up for Porty! Not that run down these days.
    We even have a Victor Hugo’s Deli now!! How Posh is that!

Agree it has a nice feel, close to “town” but easy to nip towards Peebles for singletrack.
    Beach is a big benefit, Mrs G has got right into: RowPorty

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Hmm… I used to be really into ocean rowing when I lived in west Wales, will definately have to check Portobello out! 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Good places to live in Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.