• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cbike.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Good places to eat in Oban and Scottish Islands
  • Bunnyhop

Several of us are off on a wee jaunt, cycling around a few Islands.
    I understand in some places there will be little if any choice, however help with decent places to eat would be great, as we all like our food.
    Oban
    Barra
    Tarbert
    Portree
    Ardvasar and
    Tobermory

Thanks

legend
    Free Member

For Oban: http://www.obanseafood.com/ every time

nbt

Add in Benbecula 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rusty90
    Free Member

Eeusk on the waterfront in Oban is the best seafood restaurant I’ve been to in my life.

globalti
    Free Member

We went on an island-hopping trip through the Hebrides and couldn’t find any decent seafood in any pub or restaurant. One fine day we saw a bloke unloading some beautiful langoustines from his boat and packing them in polystyrene boxes. When we asked him where we needed to go to eat them he replied: “You’ll need to be in Madrid tomorrow lunch time!”

At one pub we saw a blackboard with “Fish of the Day” chalked on it. When I asked the barman what the fish actually was today, he shrugged and replied “I dunno… whatever we took out of the freezer this morning!”

Go figure.

mcj78
    Free Member

I was just about to suggest the Seafood Temple in Oban too – make sure to book, it’s small & pretty popular (rightly so)

Budget option for lunch, the the wee seafood hut right on the harbourside at the ferry port – looks like a green garden shed with a couple of picnic tables outside, had a tremendous crab sandwich last time I was there – was about 3 inches thick, mmmmmmmmm

scotroutes

Isle of Barra Beach Hotel had amazing food when I was there, including the biggest scallops I’ve ever seen.

The Indian in Portree is surprisingly good.

If you like your seafood and know where you are going to be staying it’s often worth phoning ahead to see what they can get in for you. They tend not to stock lobster etc but they’ll always know where to get some.

Bunnyhop

Good call scotroutes.

Yes nbt, I forgot Benbecula.

Budget option for lunch, the the wee seafood hut right on the harbourside at the ferry port – looks like a green garden shed with a couple of picnic tables outside, had a tremendous crab sandwich last time I was there – was about 3 inches thick, mmmmmmmmm

Ah yes, I had a delicious seafood platter to take away from there. Drools now.

ton

Jane, when are you going?

Bunnyhop

End of May. To avoid midges.

ton

snap, me and Karen are going on the 16th may for 2 weeks…. 😀

Bunnyhop

Yay! We’ll have to see if it’s possible to meet up.

ton

8)

nbt

We ate there last time we were in Oban. Bunnyhop enjoyed it 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Portree

Forget Portree – head over to Colbost and eat at the Three Chimneys. Definitely in the “very expensive but worth it” camp. There’s also a good fish restaurant at Stein (Loch Bay)which is simpler and cheaper, and has a pub next door IIRC.

There’s also Kinloch lodge in the south of the island, which has held a Michelin star for far longer than Three Chimneys, but in my view isn’t as good.

iainc

Tobermory – the seafood restaurant at the ferry pier is very good, The Mishnish is a great pub with decent food but a bit pretentious and yachty (and I sail 🙂 ). the place along at the marina end, with beer garden bit out front is pretty good food and laid back

nbt

We’re on bikes so we won’t be “popping out” to places in the evening, we’ll be trying to find somewhere close to the night’s lodgings

E.g. rather then Tobermory, we’re actually staying in Salen so we’ll either eat in Tobermory after getting the ferry, or in Salen itself.

Given that, we probably won’t make it to Colbost, we’ll be cycling from Uig (possibly via The Quiraing) to Portree and eating there, then the next day we’re down to Ardvasar so will pass Kinloch lodge but not sure the timing will be right for having lunch…

hebridean
    Free Member

For decent food on Benbecula head across the causeway to North Uist and go the Isle of Orasay Hotel.

ransos
    Free Member

We’re on bikes so we won’t be “popping out” to places in the evening, we’ll be trying to find somewhere close to the night’s lodgings

I’d be arranging the cycling so it goes near the decent restaurants!

Sounds like a great trip.

Bunnyhop

I’d be arranging the cycling so it goes near the decent restaurants!

Best idea yet 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Scallops from the chip van on Tobermory harbour, superb!

nbt

It’s been bad enough first rearranging the entire trip as we couldn’t find anywhere on Islay (chose the dates of the Islay and Jura whisky festival so every bed on the island is booked) then making sure we can find accommodation on the re-planned route. It’s not bloody changing again!

welshfarmer

Was also going to suggest the Three Chimneys on Skye. Can still remember 4 of us eating there on a Geology Fieldtrip and the bill being over £200 (back when that was a hell of a lot of money 🙂 ). Interesting to hear it is still going with a good reputation as these sorts of places tend to be great for a while and then go out of favour. Fair play if they are still doing well 25 years after we ate there.

kcal

yes, fish and chips from fish van on Tobermory pier. Michelin star rated I think.

Absolutely gorgeous (setting, and the fact you’ve usually hiked or biked there helps). They have the fat absolutely toasty, or fresh, I don’t know, but it was the closest Anne-Marie came to foregoing veggie-ness..

Calgary Bay used to very good too. Isle of Mull cheddar. Yum..

Three Chimneys – don’t know. Had great food at hotel by Sligachan – Sconser Lodge Hotel.

Marin
    Free Member

The White Room in Lochaline is great and the food is super fresh. Good for lunch if passing the Fishnish ferry on Mull.
    Is the gents in the Mishnish still a paddle of piss on a Saturday night?
    The scallops handdived off Harris and Lewis used to be driven back to Barcelona in an HGV with a water pumping system in the back of it to keep them fresh. Two Spanish guys used to drive round the islands buying up what they could then head back when full. Good moneymaker for the local hobby divers. Mind you that was over 10 years ago now.

thegreatape
    Free Member

EEUSK always overcook my scallops 👿

mcmoonter
    Free Member

On our Sweary Northerners tour with Ton, we went to the Starfish in Tarbert. It was pretty good.

The big man also checked out a small fish restaurant near the where the ferry landed from Arran. I’ll see if I can find it.

Here you go, The Seafood Cabin In Skipness

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1479113-d732385-Reviews-Seafood_Cabin-Skipness_Argyll_and_Bute_Scotland.html

peterfile
    Free Member

One fine day we saw a bloke unloading some beautiful langoustines from his boat and packing them in polystyrene boxes. When we asked him where we needed to go to eat them he replied: “You’ll need to be in Madrid tomorrow lunch time!

This is actually very true.

On your way from Portree to Ardvasar, take a quick detour out to Carbost and visit the Oyster Shed (tasting tour at the Talisker distillery is actually very very good and right next door!) .

We tend to pop in and grab as much seafood as we can carry and cook it down at Glenbrittle, but you can get them to cook it for you there. Paul’s banter is almost as good as the produce. Add on 30 minutes to however long you think you’ll be there if you want to have a chat!

I challenge you to find better oysters (or shellfish generally!) on the islands 🙂

Restaurant wise, I’d go Three Chimneys over Kinloch Lodge as mentioned above. The Three Chimneys get their oysters from Paul at the Oyster Shed btw 😉

arrpee
    Free Member

Three Chimneys is very much worth a detour for seafood fans. Stayed a couple nights on my honeymoon. My liver was fois gras by the time we left.

I’d also echo the above comments re. Oban and Mull.

minichops
    Free Member

There was a decent little cafe that did great Indian food, right on the harbour side at Castlebay, Barra. That was 3 years ago mind. Sorry but can’t remember what I it was called.

cbike
    Free Member

Kishorn Seafood bar

The chipper in Acharacle.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Good places to eat in Oban and Scottish Islands’ is closed to new replies.