Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Good places to eat and drink in Cardiff
  • solidrooster
    Free Member

Going to Cardiff next Monday with my wife. Off to pick up new bike. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions for decent restaurants/bars. Staying near the castle.

Thanks

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Uncle Sams…

piha
    Free Member

Caroline Street offers all what the discerning diner & drinker could wish for in Cardiff. Later the better too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

A superb widely renowned Indian on Whitchurch road, but that’s a taxi ride away. Unless you are picking a bike up from Cyclopedia.

copa
    Free Member

Couple of nice places just over the road from the castle.
    Cafe Citta – tiny place doing authentic Italian food.
    Couple of doors away is a similar type of place called Casanova.
    Both really good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Watches with interest*

Might be in the ‘Diff for work later this month. My usual trips there involve drinking too much then watching rugby then drinking too much, so interested to see what’s good for proper eating.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a Nando’s too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Seriously though, we ate at Miller & Carter on Saturday night and it was very good.

They book half the tables and operate a waiting list for the rest, we arrived at about 6 and they said a 2 hour wait but in reality it was about 50 minutes.

I had the 16oz T-Bone – I think it was around £25.

Menus here : http://www.millerandcarter.co.uk/food

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There’s a Nando’s too.

he asked for good places to eat 🙂

gwaelod
    Free Member

In th Holiday Inn Express ? Try the Potted Pig just round the corner for dinner, probably need to book but don’t take any veggies there. Madam Fromage in the arcade for a spot of lunch..or New York Deli if you are starving. There is a small tea shop just inside the Castle gate opposit Holiday Inn and the bloke from there was on Bake Off…top cakes to be had. All in the city centre…spend time poking about in the Arcades off High Street and Castle street and ignore StDavids shopping centre which is standard chain store shops and restaurants.

keppoch

Agree on Potted Pig on High Street.

gwaelod
    Free Member

As above though if you are a kebab and chips sort of guy then head for Caroline Street. There are also lots of chain restaurants in the nearby Brewery Quarter.

IdleJon

They book half the tables and operate a waiting list for the rest, we arrived at about 6 and they said a 2 hour wait but in reality it was about 50 minutes.

(I don’t mean this to sound critical but it might..)

What’s so special about a chain restaurant that is worth a potential two hour wait?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What’s so special about a chain restaurant that is worth a potential two hour wait?

My friends daughter works for another company in the chain so they had a 33% off voucher – they are northerners and the lure of being able to get a discount with a voucher seems to be an irresistible attraction to them.

They had also been there before and the food did live up to the hype, plus we were drinking cocktails in their cheaper happy hour plus we had the discount…

Tinners

Been going to Cittas regularly since they opened and agree that it’s quaint, friendly and very very good Italian food. However, they’re back home in Italy for a few weeks and will probably be closed when you go (that’s if you can even get in without booking). They originally owned Cibos in Pontcanna and you can get essentially the same menu at Cibos, which is arguably a nicer environment (and an indoor toilet…). It’s a short walk up Cathedral Rd. Alternatively, another good Italian is Casanova opposite the entrance to the Millennium stadium. I also agree with Potted Pig. Great food and can be a good “underground” atmosphere if the right crowd are in. With regard to chains, Miller & Carter do reliably good steaks and Jamies can be good. If you have time during the day, check out Pettigrews tearooms for a good old fashioned afternoon tea (set into the castle wall next to the bridge over the Taff. Depending on the time of your visit, you could catch the water taxi by Pettigrews down to the bay, where there a number of chain places to eat, but better choice of quality in town. If it’s a Friday and you like Jazz, there’s usually great Jazz and tapas at the fabulous college of music and drama behind the castle, although check dates to see if they’ve restarted sessions after Xmas. Avoid Caroline St unless you like chips. And chicken. And curry sauce – that’s unless it’s the wee hours and you need sustenance to soak up the beer.
    It’s a fantastic city. You’ll love it. PS Barkers coffee shop near to where you’re staying (same arcade as Madame Fromage) and Garlands in the arcade opposite the castle (I think Duke St arcade) are good for coffee (Barkers) and lunch (Garlands). For chain coffee, #1 Coffee (owned by Brains) are very good too. The brewery quarter has choice, but not quality. Bistrot Pierre is the best of a very mediocre bunch in the 1/4 in my opinion (your views may vary etc)
    Molgrips is probably referring to the purple poppadum and it is very good. You should also consider The Clink next to the prison. Cast away all of your preconceptions about the concept of food cooked by inmates because the food is very very good and not at all what you’d expect. Seriously.

Tinners

To answer about Miller & Carter, the steaks in my experience have been very good. The wait usually reflects the fact that it’s good, but not had anything other than steak there. One of the better places to get a steak in town in my experience (about 8 visits) over the past year or so. You’ll not complain about the food, but you might about the service which has been, bizarrely, worse (slow) when it’s quiet in my experience. The Clink would be my choice.

l0key
    Free Member

http://lagunakitchenandbar.com/ is my go to place when people come down and expect a decent restaurant meal. But agree potted pig is also on gthat same list.

if not then dirty burger and chips at grazing shed http://www.thegrazingshed.com/ whilst hitting the bars.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips is probably referring to the purple poppadum

Mint and mustard.

Tinners

Ah! You’re right, Molgrips. It’s Mint & Mustard I mean on Whitchurch Rd, not purple poppadum. It’s the alliteration that threw me. I keep calling it Pickled Radish too, but that’s in Laleston (and that’s very good too if you’re out that way!).

molgrips
    Free Member

🙂

ell_tell
    Free Member

Purple Poddadum is within walking distance of the Castle too, if an Indian is your thing.

Also had some nice food in Le Monde at the end of St Mary St, but that was a few years ago now and no longer live in Cardiff, so not sure what its like these days

solidrooster
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ll pass them on to the boss.
    Been to some great restaurants that have been recommended on here.
    Thanks again

alfabus
    Free Member

I was there a while back and met up with some (local) friends, who took me to the gravity station. Not what you might call overflowing with atmosphere, but the beer was bloody good.

timber

New York Deli for lunch. It’s about the only leverage my wife has for a shopping trip to Cardiff.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m a twenty second walk from Mint and Mustard, it is good if a little pretentious. There’s a wealth of good eateries on Whitchurch, Cryws and City Road. Tenkaichi is good for Japanese, .CN for proper Chinese, The Pot. Troy, La Shisha and Lilo’s for a posh sit down kebab. Check out this blog for inspiration. http://gourmetgorro.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

IdleJon

My friends daughter works for another company in the chain so they had a 33% off voucher – they are northerners and the lure of being able to get a discount with a voucher seems to be an irresistible attraction to them.

😆

taxi25
    Free Member

Deffinetly go to the New York deli for lunch 😀 In fact its the only city center eatery I’d actually bother to make a trip into the city centre to go to !! If you order a hero think about sharing one 😯 unless you want to lie down all aftrenoon
    Try Bullys on Romilly Crescent for dinner, its within walking distance or a short cab ride away.

alsoran
    Free Member

suprised nobodys mentioned the smoke house in pontcana, amazing food. The best meal in all of cardiff has to be the lamb in the purple poppadum though that is lush.

SaxonRider

If you want something romantic, try booking a table in one of the alcoves at The Chapel. It’s a great atmosphere, and the food has been excellent every time I have been there.

Otherwise pretty much everything Tinners said.

PS. Who are all you other Cardiff folk? I haven’t seen you before. You better not be using my roads/trails. 👿

Pigface
    Free Member

There used to be a little Welsh place in Castle Arcade that served Lavabread and Cawl etc, that was very good.

IdleJon

Lavabread and Cawl etc, that was very good.

Too far east for laverbread to be good. 😉

(Not LAVA btw.)

Pigface
    Free Member

John I used to regulate a certain plant in Crofty and I am amazed I still eat laverbread 😆 is there much still in Swansea market as my mum hasn’t seen any in Newport market for ages.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Can second the recommendation for the Grazing Shed. Great burgers!

Purple Poppadom is on Cowbridge Road isn’t it? Also in that area, Chapter Arts Centre has a good beer selection, and does some nice cafe/bar type food. Also good for lunch in Canton is Time, plus they sometimes do a ‘residency’ with Street Food Warehouse in the evenings, which despite the two-years-behind-Dalston-hipster overtones is pretty good. Have to keep an eye out on Twitter/Facebook to see if they’re doing any more soon though.

IdleJon

John I used to regulate a certain plant in Crofty and I am amazed I still eat laverbread is there much still in Swansea market as my mum hasn’t seen any in Newport market for ages.

I think so. I’ve got to admit that I don’t like it very much and don’t go out of my way to eat it. My parents just used to fry it and dollop it onto the plate -I hate it that way, prefer it rolled in oats and fried in bacon fat. I will report back next time I’m in the market!

creamegg
    Free Member

For lunch I recommend Café Minuet (small Italian café), also within Castle arcade. Next time im out for food in town it will be at Wahace (Mexican), located on the outside of St Davids 2 facing John Lewis

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And if you are after a Google Nexus 9 they had a 32Gb one on the clearance shelves in Cardiff John Lewis for £200…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The Depot and Street Food Circus a good shout but I don’t think there’s anything on at the moment.

versysrider
    Free Member

going off on a tangent, are there any decent trails around cardiff other than cwmcarn? just bought a flat in cardiff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, tons. It’s surrounded by great riding that extends all the way to north Wales.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Taff trail to CastellCoch woods and the Garth mtn. Google is your friend

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Good places to eat and drink in Cardiff’ is closed to new replies.