Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Good old England collapsing.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Anybody following cricket?

Strangelove
    Free Member

I had forgotten it was on
    Its not looking too good

trailmonkey

I only watch it when they’re p1ssed up on an open top bus.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hairychested
    Free Member

Taken from the Beeb:

eldridge
    Free Member

Oh God more solipsistic sports bollox

“England” is a country. The country may or may not be collapsing, but if you mean the England cricket team, say so – because some people on here don’t give a toss about sport, and want to avoid being suckered by ambiguous post titles into reading posts about sport.

Also I notice that for sports fans of all persuasions, using “England” gets round the problem of using “the English … team” because actually that team includes a load of overpaid foreign nationals whose only loyalty to “England” is that they are paid huge amounts of money for their temporary allegiance.

mogrim

Most of the English teams (for all sports) are English, perhaps you’re getting confused with football (league) teams?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The England cricket team has Peiterson in it – a south african. He didn’t come for the money tho but the glory as he thought he might not get a chance in the SA team as they have racial quotas

Hairychested
    Free Member

Strangely it’s not English vs. WI but England vs. WI playing.

mogrim

The England cricket team has Peiterson in it – a south african

English mother, though. My kids are half-Spanish, I’d like to think they could represent either Spain or the UK if they decided to in the future.

mboy
    Free Member

Strangely it’s not English vs. WI but England vs. WI playing.

LOL. Good Point, well made!

Also I notice that for sports fans of all persuasions, using “England” gets round the problem of using “the English … team” because actually that team includes a load of overpaid foreign nationals whose only loyalty to “England” is that they are paid huge amounts of money for their temporary allegiance.

EH? WTF? Where someone is born doesn’t determine their nationality, and neither does their accent! Kevin Pietersen’s Mum is English as stated, this makes him “English” as far as The ECB (and me) are concerned. The fact he grew up in SA is irrelevant. My friend from uni hadn’t lived in England a day until she went to uni, her parents were ex-pats from before she was born. She may not have lived in England at all, but the fact her parents are both English means she is very much English too!

The England cricket team has Peiterson in it – a south african. He didn’t come for the money tho but the glory as he thought he might not get a chance in the SA team as they have racial quotas

LMAO. You feeling alright, had a bump to the noggin? SA would kill for Pietersen to be in their team, he is after all just about the most highly rated one day batsman in the world, and doesn’t do too shabby at test level either. Also, he’s the most highly paid for the upcoming IPL 20/20 competition, which says something about his skill and desirability as a player. SA have some good batsmen indeed, but Pietersen could have walked into their team if he wanted to a long while ago. Fact was he wanted to represent England, and seeing as his Mum is English, was totally within his rights to choose so.

TJ, you’re not a yorkshire man are you? From the days when Yorkshire CCC wouldn’t let anyone born outside of Yorkshire even play for their team, as they were seen as “foreigners”!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mboy – thats what he says for his reasons for playing for England.

“He made his first-class debut for Natal in 1997 before moving to England after voicing his displeasure at the racial quota system in place in South Africa,[4] and to further his opportunities for playing at international level.”

From wiki

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh God more solipsistic sports bollox

Flippin eck. More pointless uber-pedantry.

The name of the team in question is the England Cricket Team or England for short. So the country is called England but also the team is commonly referred to as England.

Supporters of a team often use “we” when referring to the team since they identify themselves as part of that sport-following community.

And in English, commonly accepted usages are good enough. Why did you even bother to type all that crap? 🙂

uplink
    Free Member
    epicyclo

Cricket is pointless and a waste of riding time, so it doesn’t matter if England gets beaten (again).

Hairychested
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

Cricket is pointless and a waste of riding time, so it doesn’t matter if England gets beaten (again).
    It’s not for everybody, the intelligent will understand (regardless of their liking or disliking it), the rest will argue.
    And well done to the ladies! When is the open-top bus parade in London?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

the open-top bus parade

Why did my brain translate that straight in to “the topless bus parade”?

Hairychested
    Free Member

‘Cos you’re intelligent! It’d be the view of 2009 IMHO.

blu-tone
    Free Member

Eldridge mate, are you really surprised at finding some CRAPPE in an internet chat forum ?

The internet is THE home of crappe. That’s why you’re here, just like me !!!

Ourkidsam: Same translation here.
    And from what I saw the England womens team would be worth watching topless on the bus a distinction not shared by many of the England womens football team who appear more likely to wear brogues and smoke pipes!!

eldridge
    Free Member

Hello molgrips

I know it’s probably hours too late (or probably, years) to tackle you on solipsism, but here goes anyway.

The title of this post is “good old England collapsing”

solipsism is the tendency to think you are the only person in the world who matters

so just because YOU are focussed on the adventures of the men’s England cricket team, you think “England” in a post title means the men’s England cricket team. Your interpretation of “England” is utterly solipsistic.

You fail to take account of the success of the women’s team , and the fact that others who have zero interest in cricket may have completely different, completely valid responses to the same term, and therefore resent being suckered into reading a post about sport

We keep being told – if you object to a post, don’t read it. But ambiguous post titles don’t help.

What would have been so hard about titling the post “Good old men’s England cricket team collapsing, while the women’s England team are world champions”?

God I hate sports bollox

Hairychested
    Free Member

eldridge – Political Correctness at its best.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Good old England collapsing.’ is closed to new replies.