• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by colp.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Good MTB Spots around Liverpool and surrounding area?
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi, i am moving from the north east to Liverpool area early next year for a couple of years whilst my partner finishes her Uni Course.

I was just wondering if anyone knows any good mountain bike spots around that way? Greater Manchester ETC?

simondbarnes

Peak District, North Wales, Pennines, Lake District all in easy reach.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ll probably want to come and check out Rivington and the West Pennine Moors at some point, Macc Forest won’t be too far either. And Hebden Bridge.

I’m sure there’s good stuff within reach in North Wales, Llandegla the obvious trail centre.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Delamere Forest near Chester.
    Lee Quarry Lancs http://www.pmba.org.uk/lee-cragg-quarries/

Aristotle
    Free Member

Local to Liverpool, not really, although there is some pleasant road riding.

As others have said, there is a lot of good mtb riding within an hour or 2.

voodoo_chile

Not much really ,formby/fresh field woods aren’t bad but no trail centre

jekkyl

Encourage your partner to change to Sheffield uni

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Peak District, North Wales, Pennines, Lake District all in easy reach.

Ive always wanted to give north wales a blast, thanks man didint actually realise it was that close.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Encourage your partner to change to Sheffield uni

I wish i could, but its not as straight forward because she has a busery thing. We are actually both keen to move to wales but because she’s been on the course coming up 2 years apparently she can’t transfer, weve tried 🙁

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Well not ro sure how far local is classed as but im from county durham and my “local ” trail Center is a good 45 minute drive and i go about three times a week Without much problems so hopefully shouldn’t be to bad.

airborne
    Free Member

Well firstly I’m jealous – Liverpool is one of my favourite cities in Europe – awesome music, art, architecture, nightlife and people and you’re bang on the right age to enjoy it all!!

As for cycling as other have said loads of superb riding in the surrounding counties. Also doesn’t the Trans-pennine trail start in Southport, head down to LIverpool and then head across country to the East?

There’s also riding to be had alongside the Mersey and Manchester ship canals.

Some more stuff to do in Liverpool
    Beatles museum (awesome)
    Albert dock for dinner/lunch
    The Philharmonic pub
    Both cathedrals, make sure you go up on the roof of the Anglican
    National Trust private tours of the Lennon and McCartney homes
    See the Cavern Beatles at the Cavern
    Visit Strawberry Fields and the churchyard of Woolton Church
    St George’s Hall is magnificent
    Pier head area has glorious architecture and hop the iconic ferry across the Mersey
    Absolutely bloody brilliant city! Enjoy it!

Saxon

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shropshire and N Wales are good, Peak, Sheffield and over that side involves the M-ways of hell and the lakes the M-way of soul crushing 🙂 Avoid peak times and it’s fine.
    When working in Warrington we managed some evening laps of Llandegla with a sharp finish

loddrik
    Free Member

Liverpool is a fantastic place to live if you choose your area right. Mtb stuff is non existent though. Although an hours drive in any direction and you have great riding.

Where do you plan on living?

Marin
    Free Member

Don’t move to North Liverpool whatever you do. Sorry anyone who lives there.

chakaping
    Free Member

What kind of riding do you do?

colp

There’s actually some decent riding around West Kirby / Thurstaston which is just through the tunnel.
    Nearest proper place is Delamere, then you aren’t far from Llandegla. Farmer John’s isn’t far if you like DH.

Marin
    Free Member

Foel Gasnach isn’t too far for DH either or good enduro day out. Antur Stiniog a couple of hours.
    I stick to Thurston/Royden as winter night riding can get bit busy with walkers in summer and is a bit cheeky.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cracking city but as noted all riding is a drive away
    Rivington local if you want a tour

colp

I stick to Thurston/Royden as winter night riding can get bit busy with walkers in summer and is a bit cheeky

Yeah, I do dusk laps there sometimes.
    My lad spends most weekends at the cliff tracks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Good MTB Spots around Liverpool and surrounding area?’ is closed to new replies.