Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Good .mp3 computer player / manager?
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

OK … nearly finished converting all my iTunes library to .mp3 (and getting rid of the duplicates!). As I mentioned in a post yesterday, I would like to compile playlists to put on SD card to use in the car. Can anyone recommend a good .mp3 music manager that will be compatible with SC card … and also be easy to use? I've converted the iTunes library within iTunes, but I don't think iTunes can be used to create non Apple playlists …

DVDVideoSoft and Videomonkey may well be contenders, but I'd like to hear what people use on their pcs and rate highly!

Thanks in advance.

euain

In iTunes, you can just drag the playlist to the SD card and it'll copy everything onto it. Could be all you need?

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

That would be excellent! I just didn't think you could do that. Would I drag the playlist from within iTunes, or would I need to find it elsewhere?

euain

I'm on a Mac – so it might be different – but I can just drag a playlist or any songs onto the desktop or another folder / disk and it copies the mp3 (or whatever) files there.

Actually, just checked.. I need to open the playlist, select all the songs, then Drag them to the folder/disk I want.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Dare I mention Windows Media Player? What is people's problem with it? Does as good a job as any other ones.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

My only problem with Windows Media Player is that I've never really used it, but realise that it's about time I started!

OH has created a playlist with 150+ tracks on it, so I'm hoping to be able to avoid re-doing it if at all possible … out of laziness! I'll have a go with the drag and drop option first though 😉

5lab

are these songs you've downloaded with itunes? if so they may be riddled with DRM (technology which stops you playing them elsewhere) – there was talk of removing it a while ago but I'm not sure what happened to it

I'd reccomend winamp. very powerful, can be set to see sd cards in the same way itunes might see a ipod, so can auto sync tunes to them and so on. Can also manage your ipod, using ml_ipod.

H

dobo
    Free Member

foobar2000

dmjb4
    Free Member

Why not use Windows *explorer* or my computer, or the Apple / Linux equivalent. Not really sure why anyone needs to use a separate utility, once everything is ripped / downloaded, given drag and drop has worked for the last 20 years or so.

dobo
    Free Member

well dmjb4

lets say you have 1000 albums to choose from to create a playlist from, the albums are all perfectly aranged by album for browsing via explorer. however with foobar you can set up multiple playlits and drag and drop songs that you have searched or have sorted via genre or album etc. but what you can also do is once you have draged all the files to your playlsit you can then right click and use 'copy to' to copy all these songs in your playlist to you SD card or CD or mp3 player etc and your perfectly arranged 1000 albums remain undisturbed.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Thanks – I'll have a look at foobar. I looked into all the DRM stuff and short of buying a program for about $35, the easiest, legal option is to burn to CD and then reimport using .mp3 settings. This seems to be working but has taken a while … but I've got better things to spend my money on 😆

If nothing else, this has taught me the shortcomings of Apple … I genuinely like their stuff but am not happy that I can't play songs I've bought legally on other non Apple media (i.e. my car's sound system) … all for personal use only. I will be using Amazon more in future and reimporting new stuff from iTunes too.

Oh, and dobo, can you use foobar alongside iTunes, or would it be better to use them on separate computers? I can copy my music files across easily enough. Thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Good .mp3 computer player / manager?’ is closed to new replies.