Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Good luck to anyone racing xc nationals at Sherwood this weekend
  • rsvktm

Didn’t think could make it this weekend so hadn’t pre entered but wife and I are going to have pop at open on the Saturday, be a giggle.

njee20
    Free Member

Good luck! Going up with a friend who’s racing Sport – so I’ll be there to shout at you. If I knew you…

Racing Sunday in Expert, 94 of us, could be interesting.

cubicboy
    Free Member

I’m going to do the open on Saturday. I have foolishly bought new tyres that I may attempt to fit tonight.

rsvktm

I hope that they give a good space before its gets tight then ! Last weekend in Whinlatter there was 67 of us vets setting off together, carnage..

Good luck to you and your mate, all the shouting and cheering is always for me in my little brain 🙂

Edit. What tyres for sherwood !

cocker
    Free Member

Does this mean the trails arent open tomorrow?

rsvktm

Sorry wouldn’t know re trails, would suggest giving the shop a ring in the morning and they would tell you what’s open. If anyone fancies saying hello we are in a black vivaro ‘camper’ and I’ll be racing in a bright orange big bear shirt.

gee
    Free Member

If it’s anything like last year, the course won’t use the trails.

It will use horrible narrow twiddly trails and the plank of shame.

Sherwood used to be awesome; fast and swoopy. Last year it was awful.

I really, really hope this year is better.

njee20
    Free Member

Oh George don’t tell me that!

Re: tyres, I’ve got Thunder Burts fitted, and taking Rocket Rons if the promised rain arrives.

stylish
    Free Member

really looking forward too it,not riding though as im part of the Commisaire team for the first round, early start and 2 long days ahead, so good luck too anyone riding and see you there.

dawson

I’m doing Open category – #802 according to the start list.

looks like plenty have entered.

cubist
    Free Member

Trails are open as normal. According to FC Facebook page.

longstuff
    Free Member

Is there an age limit on the open class?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Can’t help but smile when people mention a 67 man field and use the word carnage. The 1st NEMBA race I did back in the day had over 200 on the line and a small gateway after 700mtrs, now THAT was carnage.

rsvktm

Just got back from sherwood, wife won open female, not bad for a near 46yr old, and I got 5th open. Great little course plenty of nice roots woodsy singletrack and good overtaking opportunities which was a good job as entering on the day meant gridded 65..
    The carnage reference was not overally linked to numbers at Whinlatter it was more the crashes 😉
    Hope the rain stays off for everyone tomorrow.

dawson

I enjoyed the course. Was gridded on the front row but went backwards from there!

Forgot to look for results.

I think somebody offered me encouragement near the plank – sorry I didn’t acknowledge you, my lungs were trying to escape at the time!

Stevie-P
    Free Member

It was ace. Course was really fast today. I entered Sport for the first time, it was a quick pace!

Anyone know who the photographers were?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Racing has changed from the early 90s to mid 90s with big fields.But they are getting bigger again.Early 2000s they were dead.NPS doesn’t use the best courses these days.Maybe that’s all they can get!!.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

there was mud

njee20
    Free Member

Aye that was shit eh? Dunno if it was cassette wear or just the mud but I couldn’t get any power down without the chain skipping, really frustrating as I felt good. If only it had stayed as dry as Saturday, would’ve been good fun.

According to BC the condition of the junior rider who had a heart attack is still unknown. Thoughts with him and his family.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

re: above, quite harrowing riding past and seeing someone getting CPR, made you think twice about pushing on, they were working on him for along time as well, as you could still see as it looped round, i saw the guys packing the helicopter back up, didn’t look in a rush, but i think he was still on the ground at that point as the ambulances hadn’t moved,

i did hear over one of the marshals radio’s that someone had said to call off the race, but obviously that decision was reversed and a diversion put in

it was just hard work, once the field had thinned out after lap 1, i just plodded round really as my bike got heavier and heavier and the mud got stickier and stickier, pushing through the flat wooded section was no fun at all, id have preferred it to keep raining, was almost relieved when i punctured, gave me an excuse to stop 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Totally agree that continued rain would’ve been better. I ride even worse in the sticky stuff! Clearly my bike didn’t want to either!

I heard them talking about calling the race off too, I suspect they would have if an easy reroute wasn’t available.

adsh
    Free Member

Nick – sorry to hear about your transmission issues. I am very close to going 1×11 with XTR M9000/XX1 hybrid as you have. Do you think your old 10x would have had such issues?

njee20
    Free Member

Well no one else seemed to be having quite the same issues I did, which makes me think it’s a cassette on the cusp of being worn out, with a newish chain, and the mud. I don’t think that it’s 11 speed, or a SRAM/Shimano hybrid made any difference whatsoever frankly.

It’s never once skipped or chain sucked, and it was doing both horrendously yesterday, one of those things I think.

gazhurst
    Free Member

I’m soooo glad I raced on Saturday, It’s going to take me ages to wipe my bike off with a baby wipe 🙂

Thanks for the shouts Nick, it was just what I needed and was very welcome…does the video look good?

Re the poor lad…I personally thought the Marshals, Medics and Commisaires did an absolutely amazing job. From where I was stood in the feedzone, the response looked awe inspiring. I spoke to the Marshal that was first on scene in the Cafe after the race but he was under strict instructions not to discuss the lads condition. However, he did tell me that he was still unconcious was was breathing unaided when they loaded him into the Air Ambulance. I have since heard various rumours of very different things but one thing is for sure, my thought and prayers are with him, his family, friends and team. And not forgetting those young Marshals that had to deal with it!!!!

Get well soon young man!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Just emailed you the vid chap – looks good in slow-motion on the phone, think it’s just normal speed on email for some reason.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the youth rider. Passing my regards on to all those involved and wishing a speedy and full recovery.

rsvktm

Incidents such as these put racing around in circles into perspective. All credit to everyone involved and hope for a full and lasting recovery for the rider. Good to know at times like these can rely on both the professionals and volunteers.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Any word on how he’s doing?

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t find anything, which I’m not sure is a good sign. BC posted on Facebook this morning or last night saying his condition was unknown.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Was there yesterday – all a very sobering & thoughts are with him & family.

shortyj15

I was the one that alerted the medics.

Medic later told me he was in stable condition

njee20
    Free Member

He’s alright, from FB:

Tom Reid aged 16 suffered a heart attack in Sunday’s national MTB race. Since Sunday we have all been waiting to see if Tom was going to pull trough. We are so very pleased to say he has.
    A lovely boy who had everyone in tears of sadness and now tears of joy.

Message from Toms mom.

Tom awake. It’s a miracle. A bit confused by talking. When he’s stable he will have tests on his heart and probably need some sort of heart surgery. They say he had fitness and youth on his side. He’s angry now that his lycra got grown away. We are totally overwhelmed by everyone’s kindness and toms recovery.

Sally xx

c_klein87

From primera sport facebook
    “Fantastic news.
    This week has gone from being so very sad to one of real joy.
    Tom Reid aged 16 suffered a heart attack in Sunday’s national MTB race. Since Sunday we have all been waiting to see if Tom was going to pull trough. We are so very pleased to say he has.
    A lovely boy who had everyone in tears of sadness and now tears of joy.
    Message from Toms mom.
    Tom awake. It’s a miracle. A bit confused but talking. When he’s stable he will have tests on his heart and probably need some sort of heart surgery. They say he had fitness and youth on his side. He’s angry now that his lycra got grown away. We are totally overwhelmed by everyone’s kindness and toms recovery.
    Sally xx”

I personally know Tom, he is a fantastic talent, can drop me on climbs for fun! so relieved he’s on the mend, thought people might like an update

Chris N

dirtyrider
    Free Member

fantastic news

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Fantastic news!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Good luck to anyone racing xc nationals at Sherwood this weekend’ is closed to new replies.