Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Good Kedgeree recipe?
  • joe1983
    Free Member

Anyone got a tried and tested recipe for Kedgeree? I have not had it for years and fancy giving it a go but every recipe I come across lists a different bunch of ingredients!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Everyone has their own.
    Mine – boil bismati rice with 3 or 4 cardamoms – 6 oz rice drain/ rinse and cool rice when it is slightly underdone

Poach a finny haddock fillet

Boil two eggs really hard

Melt an couple of ounces of butter in a pan – Add 3-4 spring onions fry for a minute or two, then flake the fish into that and a teaspoonful of guram masala. stir for a minute or two then add the rices – stir until hot right thru.

Slice the eggs

Chop a load of parsley

Add cream to the rice /fish mix and the parsley stir on gentle heat until well mixed

turn out onto plate, decorate with egg slices and a sprig of parsley

Serves two

joe1983
    Free Member

Thanks TJ!

grumm
    Free Member

lemon juice is nice too.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Slowly fry a finely chopped onion in 75 grams of unsalted butter until soft. Then add 1 tbs of medium to hot curry powder and cook through for 2 minutes. Add basmati rice along with another 50 grams of butter and cook for 2 minutes on a low heat until each grain of rice is coated. Pour in chicken/veg stock and cover. Once nearly all the liquid has been absorbed flake the cooked smoked haddock in to the mix and season with black pepper and salt if needed. Pop a huge ladle full onto a warmed plate add a soft poached egg on top a few snipped chives and finally a drizzle of olive oil. Sorted

gizzardman
    Free Member

P.S Don’t just use Garam Masala it won’t taste as good as if you use curry powder. Maybe use curry powder AND Garam Masala but not GM on it’s own.

joe1983
    Free Member

ok – reading this has made me super hungry so i’m going to attempt a combinatioon of the two approaches right now!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its an anglo indian dish made up from leftovers originally so there is no one right answer. Yseterdays rice plus left over smoked fish from breakfast My recipe is from Jane Grigson.

gizzardman
    Free Member

You’re right TJ i’ve never seen 2 the same. I’m ordered to make a version of this from Gary Rhodes’ New British Cooking book (or something similar) every boxing day by my wife. It takes about 4 hours and uses about 1 packet of butter, coconut milk and single cream. To say it’s rich is an understatement. Amazing taste but you can’t eat much. P.S Just checked Sophies recipie and it seems she uses a curry paste not GM?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well its from memory from her book – not looked at the book for that one for years – modified by me perhaps. I prefer the subtle cardamon rice and GM to curry powder.

Stoner
    Free Member

as above, no two recipes the same.

When Ive tried from a book, it just doesnt seem right.

There is of course only one correct recipe, and that’s Mum’s 🙂

b1galus
    Free Member

stick the kettle on . get some broken fish a few different types is always good (i like smoked haddock and smoked salmon) put it in a bowl add the contents of the kettle
    chop two or three shallots
    crush a teaspoon of cumin seeds and a teaspoon of coriander seeds
    put a generous slug of olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the shallots till soft
    add the cumin and coriander
    add enough rice to cover the pan base well and drain the fish stock from the fish and add to rice stir once
    bring to the boil then turn down to a gentle simmer
    stick four eggs on to hard boil
    when the eggs are done the rice should be ready
    peel the eggs
    flake fish into rice
    chop and add eggs
    add some parsley and some good black pepper
    add two tablespoons of mango chutney and a decent chunk of butter
    and the job’s a good’un
    will feed four or one oli

beej

Gentle fry onion and green peppers for 10 mins or so.
    Add whatever spices you want (madras curry powder for me), chopped chilli, cook a bit.
    Add uncooked basmati rice, stir til it’s absorbed oil/moisture. Add stock, cook til stock absorbed and rice done.
    Add flaked fish.
    Add chopped fresh corriander.
    Squeeze of lemon juice.
    Eggs if you want.
    Yum.

As everyone else has said, use what you have kicking around. Mine is different each time.

sharkbait
    Free Member

God I love kedgeree, especially with toast……… seems to be an acquired taste though! Interesting that some people use uncooked rice. I use standard long grain rice that’s been pre-cooked and allowed to cool.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Good Kedgeree recipe?’ is closed to new replies.