Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Good impromptu air display today!
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Went for a pootle on the HT & was passing RAF Linton on Ouse & noticed a camouflaged Tucano waiting to go, which it did after a Hawk had come in. It then went on to do what I reckoned was a practice for the 2014 airshow season & nustv’e been up about 20 mins. Excellent display with all the usual stuff & mostly in the perimeter of the base. Nice to see. About 15 mins before I got there, 2 Tornado’s went over me, low, slow & bloody noisy!
    Nice day out & the longest ride since Xmas.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brilliant, love watching the likes of that. RAF Leuchars air show is no more, which is sad, but the awesome downside of that is that prestwick airport is taking over. Half a mile from me! Woo hoo!.

Northwind

I think the best thing I’ve seen (apart from full-power Vulcan voice of god runs over the crowdline in the old days) was just recently at leuchars, a spitfire being chased by a typhoon around the perimeter- Spitfire giving its all, typhoon matching speed but looking like it really just wanted to fall out of the sky at such an insultingly low pace. Very cool.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sounds awesome Northwind! ‘Catch me if you can, but you can’t cos your’e too fast’
    Best thing I saw was up in Durham, 1980something. 2 F15’s at low level chasing an F1 Mirage, they all turned & headed West at speed only to be intercepted by 2 Tornados’s from the North, then they were all bounced by another 2 F4’s screaming along at about 500ft on full burner.
    Those were the days.

legend
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Brilliant, love watching the likes of that. RAF Leuchars air show is no more, which is sad, but the awesome downside of that is that prestwick airport is taking over. Half a mile from me! Woo hoo!.

What what what!? Is that official? From 2914 or 2015? Half an hour or so from me.

crazybaboon

Riding near raf scampton today, was treated to a red arrows display

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Legend, yip, I was at leuchars last year, and it was announced that it would be the last one. Straight after that, our engineering manager (I work for GE at prestwick) was telling us that they were bringing back the prestwick air show, which used to be a pretty big event. Not long after, it was in the local rags too.

Dunno how much involvement the RAF will have though, but it hope they do. Typhoon is just amazing to watch, the noise, maneouverability and sheer speed is awe inspiring.

peajay

The Austrian Typhoons stole the show for me at Leuchars last year, the Hercules intercept was very impressive!

yetidave
    Free Member

A hucules was flying down the M74 as I can home yesterday, up near beatock, very much in the valley..

ji
    Free Member

I miss working near scampton. The view from the top floor officers was perfect as the red arrows practiced – saw them all the time. Great when in a boring meeting.

racefaceec90

when i was riding near red horn hill (salisbury plain) some years ago,was watching some people flying biplanes for around 30 minutes from a nearby airstrip.

would love to fly one of those (if i ever could afford the lessons).

bentandbroken

@ Racefaceec90

In the same area there is a slightly cheaper option than lessons (still pricey though)

See it all the time when over that way 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

I got treated to a nice practice display at Duxford once. Caroline Grace’s two seat Spitfire 🙂

Made my day, it did

willjones
    Free Member

I soiled my pants and nearly crashed my car when a tornado flew down the M6 a couple of years ago (up near Shap). Fast, and very low. I’d love to see that again soon 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I was in the Air Cadets circa 1986 and on camp at RAF Watton one year, we got taken to Holbeach ranges for the day to watch the bombing runs, USAF F111, F18 and F15 all came in in the morning missed 60% of targets. After lunch Tornado’s and Jaguars came in with 90%+ strike rate, it was quite something to see. Then the sceptics came back with A10’s and basically hosed the range leaving nothing behind it was genuinely awesome. The big cannon thing on the A10 sounds like a great big fart.

Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone in South Worcestershire/North Gloucestershire right now is being treated to a Typhoon having its nuts ragged to bits! Fantasic noise, the pilot is really throwing some shapes out there!

Trekster

Likely to be a bit lively around here soon:
    http://www.dgwgo.com/regional-news/military-exercise-bring-3000-military-personnel-dg/
    Fair bit of army and helicopter activity this week and an increase in low flying planes.
    Wonder what they make of all the wind farms?

racefaceec90

bentandbroken just read your comment/clicked your link.would love to do that one day 😀

slowoldman

I grew up not far from Finningley and we used to see Vulcans over the house. 😀

I like the impromptu displays. A few years ago staying near Dent we watched a “dog fight” over Sedbergh then a few days later there were very low flying Tornados over Arkengarthdale.

I think my most vivd memory though is standing on Tryfan looking down on a Lightning flying along Ogwen Valley.

renton
    Free Member

Last Leuchars airshow was last year as the RAF are moving from leuchars and we are taking the Typhoons up to Lossiemouth.

Army are moving into Leuchars camp which will be good for the locals… :mrgreen:

peajay

As a side comment, I bet if the mr4 Nimrods had been allowed to live they would have made a pretty good job of finding that missing 777!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Good impromptu air display today!’ is closed to new replies.