Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • good guide book for the peaks
  • smoothwhale
    Free Member

can someone recommend me a good guide book for the peaks? I prefer the white peak area. And if possible routes that dont go uphill on the road for ages just to do a technical and steep descent thats over in moments.!!! Good maps not sketches are also helpful

Thanks

BadlyWiredDog

The Vertebrate Publishing ones are both good. They do a Dark Peak one and a White Peak one, both good. Most of the classic routes, OS mapping, clear directions and nicely produced and designed.

Edit: it’s kind of in the nature of things that climbs take longer than descents. Not sure what you can do about that.

unstableJ
    Free Member

+1 BadlyWiredDog, although their rides don’t always go the best way round IMO (but they’re not as bad as MBR for that)

Quite easy I found from the White Peak one to pick and chose bits from different rides to pull one together to suit your mood/fitness/time.

alexpalacefan

Want climbs to take less time, descents more?

Rigid hard-tail. Much faster up, and you can’t go as fast down. Problem solved 😉

APF

unstableJ
    Free Member

Rigid hard-tail. Much faster up, and you can’t go as fast down. Problem solved

…either that or more fitness and less skill required!

smoothwhale
    Free Member

lol! I do ride a hardtail but what I meant was that i Would rather walk up a technical climb than walk down a technical descent!

Shorty121
    Free Member

I suggest buy the white peak book and then mix and match good parts from different routes and put them into one

unstableJ
    Free Member

lol! I do ride a hardtail but what I meant was that i Would rather walk up a technical climb than walk down a technical descent!

the Vertebrate books give you enough detail to figure that out I’d say.

I steal crayons off my kids to draw the routes onto my laminated OS maps and then you can stitch together different routes.

There’s some pretty nice flowing descents in the Holmesfield area if short and steep isn’t your thing.

smoothwhale
    Free Member

“flowing” is probably the best description of what i’m after

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘good guide book for the peaks’ is closed to new replies.