Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Good Friday v Work
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Is it me or is Good Friday somewhat dismissed as a “holiday” nowadays? The boss asked me yesterday what I’d be doing at work today, I replied “nothing as its a holiday” he seemed somewhat taken aback.
    I’ve got lads on site so they clearly want to work.
    On a different note I need to visit halfords, I thought I’d just check the website to see if the one near work is open today, (that way I can call in on the lads to check all is good) to my surprise its open 9 till 9 tonight!

Stoner
    Free Member

My roofers arent working today. Personally theyd be happy to, but I gather their wives wouldnt 😉

As a self-employed lazy bastard loafer, bank holidays are a pain in the arse as it means the proles are all out and about on weekdays that I usually have all to myself.

Houns

If I wasn’t signed off sick then I’d be working 10.5 hours today, tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. Note runs out tomorrow so will be back in on Sunday.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Personally I think all carpenters should show solidarity against victimization and have the day off.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Gonna rain Sunday so that’ll ease the weekend work pain!

Lester
    Free Member

im working, friday saturday, sunday, and monday 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I still find it a novelty that stuff is open on Good Friday. In Ireland, it was THE MOST boring day of the year. Nothing open. Not a shop. Not a pub. Not a cinema. Nothing. At least Christmas Day had an element of fun about it, but Good Friday just had a load of guilt ridden boringness.

Nipper99
    Free Member

its a pain, i would go into work but most of the other firms i deal with are closed – waste of a day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You should have seen it in Shiney Town last night… Rammed full of suits on their way home for Easter Break, the only folks working today are in the underground shopping complex and Waitrose. However I’m home and the only things open are Chinese takeaways, Waitrose and the very local Co-Op corner shop, which is nice because I’ve got no milk and I fancy Hot X Buns for breakfast.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There’s always chocolate.. that’s what Easter is all about right?…
    Chocolate!!

gonefishin
    Free Member

It’s not a holiday up north. We only get Monday at easter.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not actually a bank holiday. It’s mostly just offices and professionals that get the day of afaik.

rt60
    Free Member

It’s listed as a bank holiday on the .gov website, the only sunny day if the long weekend and I have an 18 hour shift.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Off today but working from home a bit as the missus is working, though bailed at 330 for the pub. It’s Friday night here.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Officially it is a bank holiday in England and Wales

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above gov website has it as a bank hol. Am I right in thinking its part of your 20 days and 8 stats minimum holiday allowance. Mrs reckons you can’t be forced to work it. I don’t think she’s right.

IanW
    Free Member

No work here ,much better stuff to do.

Houns

andermt
    Free Member

My current employer gives us Fri & Mon off (I’ve taken Thurs-Tues this year).

My previous employer used to give us Mon & Tues off as Friday was a half day anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Officially it is a bank holiday in England and Wales

Well I’ll be hornswoggled.

grum
    Free Member

As a self-employed lazy bastard loafer, bank holidays are a pain in the arse as it means the proles are all out and about on weekdays that I usually have all to myself.

Pretty much this although it’s nice when some friends are about cos they have the day off. 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Personally I think all carpenters should show solidarity against victimization and have the day off

Carpenters !! Good Friday was all due to a carpenter

benji
    Free Member

Personally I think all carpenters should show solidarity against victimization and have the day off.

Shouldn’t you all be knocking up a few crucifixes, and maybe doing a bundle offer with a free tube of “no more nails” as a gesture to world peace? 😆

benji
    Free Member

Cheekyboy our minds were thinking alike, scary that.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Cheekyboy our minds were thinking alike, scary that

Hmmmm

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I don’t understand anyone moaning about a day off, I remember when May day was first suggested that some complained about having another bank holiday.

Good Friday was the only day in the year my old man worked as overtime, double time and a day off in lieu.

bearnecessities

Bacon buttie shop was closed.

I muttered “bollocks”, only to see the owner behind me with his young lad wondering what I just said.

Sorry 😳

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Most of the folk I work with (a University) are here. We get 5 statutory days a year (2 at Christmas, 2 at NY and May bank holiday), so if you want any of the other days off you can take them out of your annual leave (Which is pretty generous tbh). My previous employer had the same policy.

Drac

Finished work 6 hours ago had a few hours sleep and now it’s time to walk the dog before tackling the garden. I was supposed to be going to Aviemore riding for the weekend but as I’ve not much time off in the last few months I’ve not seen the family, so I cancelled. Currently my eldest is at her Nana’s, the youngest at her Gran’s and the wife ill in bed. Should have just bloody gone.

LMT
    Free Member

Its an odd day, the shop I work in opens as normal, its classed as a bank holiday, so we volunteer to work for an overtime rate or take it as one of the 8 bank holiday days we have as part of our holiday package.

For me I didn’t volunteer to work, but on the other hand I didn’t book it off, got to Thursday and got dragged into the bosses office as they wanted me to work, I pointed out I hadn’t volunteered so was going biking, they said I hadn’t booked it off, to which I replied prove it show me my holiday meeting form (knowing damn well they never do these for managers!) so catch 22. Needless to say I went biking this morning, lovely day for a day off!!

They did get there own back, im scheduled to work 3-12 tomorrow evening to lock down the shop, more fool them, I can go biking in the morning as well now!!

Duggan

‘Office’ worker and Friday and Monday off here. I always appreciate Easter and Bank Holidays as, like Christmas, you get time off knowing that everybody else at work is off too. Taking annual leave is nice but there’s always a small part of my brain wondering what the hell is going on at work when I’m not there.

Having said that, at least two people at work yesterday said that they were going in today to catch up on work so maybe the OP has a point.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Carpenters !! Good Friday was all due to a carpenter

And as Al Murray once pointed out he was a typical builder – disappears off the face the Earth for 3 days and then suddenly appears.

Northwind

“free” paid holiday today- one of our annual “building closed days” which doesn’t count towards annual holiday entitlements. Public sector, bitches!

Haze

Did a bit this morning, got told to go home as the sun was shining.

hjghg5
    Free Member

We are closed, my OH had the choice between taking today off or taking Tuesday off. My mum always used to say that it was treated as a bank holiday in lancashire but not yorkshire, not sure how accurate that is though given I’m in yorkshire and off.

That said, someone needed to come round to the house to do some work. I was working out which day I couldwork from home to let him in when he suggested today so there may be some truth in it.

milky1980
    Free Member

The whole premise behind Bank Holidays has been eroded over time tbh. They’ve been turned into massive retail events (no time off for the shop workers), anyone who works in a pub or restaurant will most likely hate them and banks are even open on them now!! My work doesn’t even close on xmas day FFS!!

Drac

My work doesn’t even close on xmas day FFS!!

My work never closes.

If you don’t want a job that involves working on public holidays then you need to apply for another job.

footflaps

Would it help if I told you what a gorgeous day it’s been here at Coed y Brenin?

Bazz

I like working bank holidays, i see it as extra money towards a new bike, just for working my normal shift 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

Bizarrely today is one of my ‘office shut/mandatory’ days (along with May Day and the 4 Xmas/NY days).

As it was glorious today I’ll not whinge (but I could just as easily have taken it as a flexi instead).

Bloody roads were mobbed though, bloody plebs…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Good Friday v Work’ is closed to new replies.