Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Good freehub / pawls grease
  • flattyre
    Free Member

Looking for recommendations please.

whyme
    Free Member

I use the lightest I can. Finish line, can’t remember what but almost like water. Sometimes I just use wet lube but this is not so good for waterproofing.

flattyre
    Free Member

I have been using fox float but leaks out past the seal…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whyme
    Free Member

Wet lube does the same (if too much is put in) although prob not quite as much as float fluid would. Wet lube is designed as stickier than float fluid, I assume due to their intended different base uses.

cp

Fox float fluid is very thick and sticky compared to wet lube (I asunder you mean wet chain lube), and is what I use in hope xc hubs

mudmonster
    Free Member

I tried mixing fox gold 20wt oil with super lube grease. I’m not sure if any leaked out past the seal of my pro 2 evo. It definitely feels less draggy.

jeffl

I just used some standard lithiumn grease onnmine. Made it much quieter.

coatesy
    Free Member

Castrol Spheerol EP2, actually designed for EP (extreme pressure)use such as those seen at pawl tips, cheap to buy (£2.50 + vat) in a large 400g tube that’ll last a home mechanic for years,and available from your local Buck&Hickman trade outlet, or also by mail order. It’s also good for packing into BB bearings.

flattyre
    Free Member

sounds interesting, no stickiness?

tillydog
    Free Member

I thought that you should only ever use *oil* on the pawls?

jimw
    Free Member

Depends on the hubs and ratchet system. For DT swiss, I use finish line ceramic bearing grease, for hope hubs I use a very small quantity of the TF2 red grease, for Mavic hubs which require mineral oil I use shimano red brake fluid in very small quantities- they suggest filling three teeth on the ratchet when almost upright IIRC

flattyre
    Free Member

Is there a performance advantage using oil over grease, ie it freewheels faster? Or no noticeable difference?

tillydog
    Free Member

Is there a performance advantage using oil over grease…?

I understood that grease made the movement of the pawls sluggish, so increasing the potential for less than full engagement between pawl and ratchet when a load is applied, leading to premature wear / slipping.

YMMV – may be an old wives’ tale…

timba
    Free Member

Tillydog
    Pack enough grease into a freehub and you’re quite right, the pawls will retract and not spring out again. Having said that grease is fine in most freehubs provided there’s just enough (and not too much 🙂 )

I’m experimenting with wet chain lube this year on my road bike, but use Castrol MS3 lithium-based grease otherwise. I’ve had it for so long that I don’t think you can buy it now
    Grease is mainly oil (80+%) with thickeners (e.g. lithium soap) and additives (e.g. rust inhibitors)

If you are experimenting be sure to clean the old grease out, the different compositions sometimes don’t work well together

eshershore
    Free Member

DT Swiss grease. Great for star-ratchet freehubs and pawl freehubs, just use sparingly, you really don’t need much 😉

inverjoe
    Free Member

Hope use Mobil XHP222 in thier hubs, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. (and we use it at work…. Bonus!!!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Good freehub / pawls grease’ is closed to new replies.