Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Good framebuilders/painters?
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

I'm going to turn my shop/pub/gym bike into a proper ss mtb (if a ss can be a proper mtb?!) however I'm going to need some proper drop-outs putting on instead of the tensioner bodge I'm currently using as well as a disc mount and hose guides. Then it'll obviously need respraying as well…

Has anyone got any experience of doing this and which framebuilders did you use?

I realise it'd be cheaper and easier to buy a new frame etc etc but tbh if I was bothered about making life easier I wouldn't want a rigid singlespeed!

mugsys_m8

Is it steel or aluminum?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Steel – so should be easy enough in theory… (well, I'd have thought so but I'm asking strangers on a forum so I'm clearly not that confident!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mugsys_m8

Argos apparently do a top notch service, but for a price, I think.

epicyclo

The problem with converting a frame to SS is that proper SS frames have stiffer chainstays. Bikes designed for deraiileurs don't need such stiff chainstays and can thus enjoy the benefits of a supple ride.

Hopefully it probably won't be a major problem, but your chain can drop if the chainstay flexes too much when you're stomping up a steep hill. This can cause eyewatering damage at the toptube/groin interface.

Proper SS frames are cheap these days – plenty 2nd hand.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP it is not cheap (£150+ as an estimate) and you will almost certainly be better getting an inbred unless your existing bike is nice.

The problem with converting a frame to SS is that proper SS frames have stiffer chainstays. Bikes designed for deraiileurs don't need such stiff chainstays and can thus enjoy the benefits of a supple ride.

Sorry but that is utter rubbish.

but your chain can drop if the chainstay flexes too much when you're stomping up a steep hill

Even better! You must have some thighs to compress a chainstay that much.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I've used Argos in the past to update and respray a DeKerf Generation frame. I couldn't have had better service – they even called to check the job before removong / adding the bits. As said, it was not cheap, but it was well worth it.

Again, as said, you may be better off simply buying a second hand (or new, for that matter) singlespeed frame, as the cost will be similar. It's all much of a muchness.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Good framebuilders/painters?’ is closed to new replies.