Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Good Frame Criteria
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Saw this question on another forum, and no-one answered it. Not sure if that’s because they couldn’t answer it or if it just didn’t interest anyone.

Given that the standard advice is usually “get the best frame you can afford” what are the criteria of a good frame? Test rides aside, what do you look for in a frame?

chilled76
    Free Member

Geometry, weight, brand, warranty- usually in that order for me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not sure if that’s because they couldn’t answer it or if it just didn’t interest anyone.

Possibly because it’s hopelessly vague and subjective?
    Somewhere to put a water bottle would be my shout.

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s a question that’s going to depend very much on budget, intended use and preferences. I’d probably mostly go along with chilled, but I’d consider material and frame designers’ reputation alongside weight and purpose I think.

Overall, questions like this and the ‘what are your go-to brands’ from before Christmas don’t really worry me too much and seem a little out of place on STW to me.

Kryton57

I just spent a very long time evaluating a new bike purchase base on geometry, specifically reach and head angle. I used all the annoyances and likes from previous bikes, plus internet reviews and science to understand my likes and dislikes and how those things would influence my riding.

Having found two bikes I want that fitted all that AND my intended application, I then waited for mag reviews and other peoples experienced to validate how things like the suspension “felt” to compare with my own views before finally making the leap.

I’ve ended up with the frame and kit that fits, suits my riding and feels exactly how I wanted it to feel.

Yes, it was a tedious process, for others as well as me…

trailwagger
    Free Member

OK, let me clarify my point.

I am not talking geometry/fit/reach/or if it has a bottle mount.

What makes a frame a “quality” frame? Manufacturing process/materials/design elements etc.

noahhowes
    Free Member

I’m not sure you can separate geometry from design really. Geometry is the biggest part of it, it is racey or comfortable, does it suit your local riding? Material, then quality of that material and tube profile come into it. Will it be stiff if you want stiff, or forgiving if you want forgiving? After that it’s probably finish and colour. If it’s a MTB what’s the shock like too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

What makes a frame a “quality” frame? Manufacturing process/materials/design elements etc.

Yes.
    And headtube badge.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Seems I`m overthinking this 😳

If you know what geometry you want I am presuming you could find plenty of different frames that match that requirement. What else sets them apart?

So no-body looks into specs of aluminium or carbon, or looks at the quality of welds, or the style of dropouts or stay bridges or anything else? Do you all part with your hard earned so easily? Find one the right shape, and pick a colour?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

it’s a bike, for splashing in puddles and doing wheelies, how hard does to have to be?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Given that the majority of higher end frames come out of the same half dozen factories.
    Actually finding what materials use is nigh on impossible (them saying ‘high mod’ means close to bugger all) and you’ll never get access to lay-up schedules.
    I’ve seen the inside of some very expensive frames…it would upset you.Have a look at Luescher Teknik’ s YouTube channel.
    Then yep….pick colour,pick this weeks ‘in’ geometry and fill yer boots.
    In the real world the thing that will make the biggest difference to you will likely be the warranty support you get if it goes pear shaped.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Given that the majority of higher end frames come out of the same half dozen factories.
    Actually finding what materials use is nigh on impossible (them saying ‘high mod’ means close to bugger all) and you’ll never get access to lay-up schedules.
    I’ve seen the inside of some very expensive frames…it would upset you.Have a look at Luescher Teknik’ s YouTube channel.
    Then yep….pick colour,pick this weeks ‘in’ geometry and fill yer boots.
    In the real world the thing that will make the biggest difference to you will likely be the warranty support you get if it goes pear shaped.

it’s a bike, for splashing in puddles and doing wheelies, how hard does to have to be?

So the standard advice of “buy the best frame you can” is BS IYHO?

I`m not asking because I am buying a bike BTW. I am just curious as to what other peoples criteria of a “quality” frame is.

Rorschach
    Free Member

For me.
    One that’s ace at splashing in puddles and doing wheelies….and has somewhere for a water bottle.And has a good warranty.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well, was taking it to the extreme but how much time and effort are you suggesting people put in for a nonessential leisure purchase? half an hour on the internet looking for ‘my bike fell in half’ stories would about do it for me, after that: does it look cool, is about the right geo, what’s the suspension like (if it’s got any), will my bits fit?

honourablegeorge

trailwagger – Member
    Seems I`m overthinking this

If you know what geometry you want I am presuming you could find plenty of different frames that match that requirement. What else sets them apart?

If you’re leaing that stuff out of it, then since you can’t really test frame for quality in any meaningful way, it becomes pretty subective – things like warranty, brand reputation, past experience of the brand by yourself or people you know, etc.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pretty paint and that it fits me, water bottle points are a bonus

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m fussy about stack height. most of my frames have slammed stems (for the insta love :lol:) so i don’t like tall front ends.

“get the best frame you can afford”

in a road bike context don’t get cheap alu, get a top end alu frame. don’t get cheap carbon get top end carbon. etc etc.

If theres an alu/ carbon choice then choice is more difffiuclt. There is a perception that ridley are beter than trek and storck are better than both (for example) although i think that’s 90% branding and heritage and 10% factual.

mountain bikes are a bit more complicated as suspension design is far more important than material quality imo.

tomhoward

Kryton57 – Member
    I just spent a very long time evaluating a new bike purchase

Really? You’ve changed 😉

edd

Ignoring:

I am not talking geometry/fit/reach/or if it has a bottle mount.

Mine were as follows:

Essential:

Seat tube less than 440mm
    Reach more than 435mm
    Head angle less than 65.5deg
    Stealth dropper cable routing
    Rear travel more than or equal to 150mm

Ideal:

Threaded bottom bracket
    External brake hose routing
    Shimano direct mount mech hanger
    Good warranty
    1x only frame

This probably isn’t very helpful to anyone else though… (You’ll also notice that weight and frame material didn’t make it to my list.)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Quality is a subjective term and is purely dependant on a given product satisfying the purchasers criteria….whatever they may be.

A Kia Cee’d is just a high quality product as a Rolls-Royce for some customers.

I’ll tell you what 99.9% of us really don’t want, but unfortunately think we do…that is the same frame the professionals ride of whatever cycling discipline they follow.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Good Frame Criteria’ is closed to new replies.