Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • good food in glasgow !
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont really frequent the big smoke all that often but im flying back from turkmenistan (2 days of driving and flying) to the world track champs at the velodrome on the saturday night.

While ive been here for 4 weeks ive eaten nothing but bread , cheese and chocolate.

can anyone recomend me a restaurant fairly central (staying at citizen M hotel in town) that we can get a hearty meal …. i want a decent steak cooked as i ordered it some potatoes and some decent veg. – none of this poncy looking good and having about 7 calories pish.

then i want to wash it down with some ale and a couple of malts. (but happy to move to another establishment for this to occur)

(oh and its mrs t-rs birthday)

ratherbeintobago

Stravaigin is worth a go; in the W End so about 15 min from Central Glasgow.

Andy

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah i have actually heard of that place. WOuldnt know it if it had kicked me in the face mind you but that looks like a good place to hedge my bets – assuming of course that i can stay awake long enough to get there.

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

I’ve not been yet but I hear Guy’s Restaurant is pretty good. It’s in Merchant City.

bigG
    Free Member

Butchers Shop near kelvingrove is where you need to go for a decent steak. Best I’ve managed to find in Glasgow.

Then head to lebowskis (just a short walk) for a few good beers / malts / ales

We’ll be heading to the track champs that night too and I’m currently debating where we should eat beforehand. Might actually do the above ourselves now I’ve started thinking about it.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ubiquitous Chip do great steaks

trail_rat
    Free Member

ooooft just been to he butchershop website …… thats a steak menu i can get my teeth into – tis one of the few reasons i like to go to malmaison in aberdeen for special occasions- they really know how to do a steak and have several different cuts rather than just ” 8/10/12 oz steak” as a lot of places do ….

seahouse
    Free Member

The Sisters in Jordonhill is fantastic, traditional Scottish food that tastes nothing like any Scottish dish you have ever had. Was there again last night.

peterfile
    Free Member

Crabby Macs (awesome scottish seafood and a nice quiet little location, good for an intimate and interesting meal)
    Mother India (amazing curry in a very non-indian styled dining room upstairs)
    La Mora (italian, one of my best friend’s restaurants)

federalski
    Free Member

+1 for the Butcher Shop.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It’s been a while, but Roganos used to be good and probably still is. More seafood though, but in spectacularly art deco surroundings. Merchant City

EDIT mind you, just looked at the Butcher Shop menu – meat, meat and more meat.
    or mmmm for short

legend
    Free Member

Andy

Not as good as it used to be imo, much prefer The Bothy just round the corner

stabilizers

The Pot Still for your drinks. The best trad pub I’ve found in Glasgow centre(in my limited experience and yes I know the Horseshoe). I dont have a recommendation for a steak.
    If you fancy something slightly different then Nanakusa’s up Sauchiehall St sticks in the memory for me. It does steak but I guess not how you are picturing it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im settled on the butchers shop – im salivating at the thought…..

i love seafood but im alergic to it and the next day will be a write off as ill be on the bed in the foetal position 🙁

2tyred

From what you describe I’d recommend Blackfriars, in the Merchant City (10-15 min walk from where you’re staying). Good ‘non-poncy’ food, and excellent ale & malt selection.

Right end of town for a quick taxi to the velodrome.

Also excellent (particularly upstairs, if whisky is your thing) is Cafe Gandolfi, on the other side of the crossroads.

lovewookie

Andy

Not as good as it used to be imo, much prefer The Bothy just round the corner

The stravaign on byres rd is not the Hanoi Bicycle cafe. to be honest though it’s similar quality food so it’ll keep most happy.

legend
    Free Member

Getting ny Stravaigins mixed up. Forgot that the proper one is Gibson St., not the other way round

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Last minute suggestion for Cafe Gandolfi or one of its offspring

freeagent
    Free Member

[/url]

trail_rat
    Free Member

Went to kama sutra after a late arrival on friday night . It was nice but not the best curry ever

Went to the butchershop yesterday – cote de bouff and then the left overs of jaynes sirloin , both cooked to perfection – great staff knew their stuff , warned me cote de bouf being a bone cut isnt ideal for cooking rare due to the fat on the bone not getting crisped. I dont like crunchy fat so suits me 🙂

Barely a scrap on the plate

Good job guys !

Sat drinking coffee in st enochs now as the mrs shops

bigG
    Free Member

Fair making my mouth water just thinking about it. We ended up nipping into Yo Sushi for a quick bite before heading out to the velodrome.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Coffee in st enochs terry? Best of luck wi that!.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kimbles wasnt “bad”

Mrs was shopping in hamleys . No one told me town would be mental as it was the santa parade today – id never have agreed to it if id known that !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You eating out tonight terry?

trail_rat
    Free Member

On the train to aberdeen tonight. Jaynes teaching tomorrow

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘good food in glasgow !’ is closed to new replies.