Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Good European destinations for a week’s riding in September
  • Leadfold

I am looking for red/occasional black descents, with a mix of swoopy single track and technical rock gardens. As a reference point for those who have been there, I like the Spanish Sierra Nevada (went there with Switch-backs a few years ago), but lots of the trails were badly eroded. This meant picking your way through big sections of lose rock, which was less interesting. Given I still feel I have a lot to learn it would be good to get some tuition worked into the week.

Be great to hear what the forum advises

Leku
    Free Member

Looks like no one wants to help us, eh Chris?

for me Italy looks interesting

http://rivierabike.co.uk/

or even Austria

http://www.upanddownhill.com/mountain_bike_holiday/week_agenda.htm

My wife seems to think that France and Italy shut down at 8 so would be rubbish for drinks in the evenings. But then she is Basque.

doug_basqueMTB.com

If she’s Basque then why not go there 😉 Certainly no trail erosion here, there’s not enough bikers!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

+1 for Riveria bikes.

Or go back to Spain with Ridesierranevada, Singletrack Safari etc – not all the trails are eroded?!

Mallorca could be a good option too, but you’d have to find your own way around.

Leku
    Free Member

Basque Country could be an option. Getting there from Bristol is a bit of a pain and am a bit concerned about weather at the end of September.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

End of September you should probably be thinking Southern Spain for reliable dry warm weather. Plenty of cheap flights into Malaga.

steveh

Riviera bike are in Molini in italy. A mate of mine who’s worked as a guide all over europe and other places rates it as the best place he’s been for riding. I did one day there are really liked it, little used and we barely scratched the surface of how much they have.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Leku, lots of good options out there for places to ride but just for information you can get cheap flights direct Bristol to Bordeaux, it’s a longer transfer but do-able and better than 2 flights. The weather in September is usually nice, (although more unpredictable than the south), and we always have the option of riding towards Pamplona (40mins away) where it’s a lot hotter and dryer.

Leku
    Free Member

Doug,

I think I am still scared from my Xmas trip to Bilbao. Never easy with 2 small kids but then add it the delays from snow.

Interesting article on Molini in Dirt this month. Anyone know what the weather is like in late Sept? And are there bars?

nasher
    Free Member

Hey Leku

Weather will be perfect….

And Gallo Nero will keep you entertained all week..

A

JonEdwards
    Free Member

AQR in the Pyrenees?

Anything but eroded. Trails as steep and tech as you like (or not if you don’t), and truly great food…

Leku
    Free Member

Cheers Nasher. You are top of the list and looks like I’ll be bring two mates with me.

Was hoping to get a email back from James McKnight – he guided me twice at Switchbacks and I’ve met up a couple of times with him since. As he guided / ridden both Italy and Spain I was hoping for his input.

Just waiting for the new month then we’ll be confirming / booking flights.

I’ll be bringing a Yeti ASR-sl – its survived Switchbacks twice so I’m assuming it will be ok for Italy?

Leku
    Free Member

Did a self organised week last year based in Villelongue dels Monts.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

IBIZA -take the mtb with a spare set of slick tyres, loadsa fun and well marked trails and road routes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Good European destinations for a week’s riding in September’ is closed to new replies.