Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Good cheapish R/C car
  • aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, I know it’s all been done before, but the usual recommendations are way over my budget. Currently have an Animus 18SC http://helion-rc.com/animus18SC/ and would like something with similar performance and size that looks different (I’m thinking of open wheels) – cheaper would be nice too!

…I suppose I could just go for an 18TR which would give me interchangeable spares?

matt_outandabout

Yougest_OAB bought an FTX Surge last winter – cheap parts, so far good fun, easy to go brushless.
    Available in three body types – we have this.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Does that come ready built matt_outandabout?

The instructions I found show an exploded diagram and a seller said built already.

Really want one, but want something that need self assembly with costing many £’s at first!

Sick of these threads 😆

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ve got an FTX also, mine is the Vantage. I spent a bit more and got the brushless version but I’m sure the brushed version would be fine also.

Mine came fully built and ready to go straight from the box. Great fun and has been fine so far..

Lots of choice here..

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-rc-electric-models/rc-car-manufacturers/1099/9900/990010

matt_outandabout

Prebuilt.

Cougar

If you find something you like that needs building, send it to me and I’ll do it. I had way more fun building mine than I ever did running it.

StirlingCrispin

We have a couple of Mavericks:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=405585&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgs7RBRDoARIsANOo-HiyzGcGyBhKWYPQj13Nw96oEomcLj04u-BurKqvm0qSc1ovQcZrJZYaAqjcEALw_wcB

Smashed the chassis of the first one at 9am on Xmas day (hit a goal post at full speed). Tears before breakfast.

Both have had the steering servo die after being run in the wet.

Not recommended.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If you find something you like that needs building, send it to me and I’ll do it. I had way more fun building mine than I ever did running it.

Yep, building the thing is fun also. But even if you do get a prebuilt car, be prepared to take it apart at some point for the inevitable maintenance…

RDL-82
    Free Member

Prebuilt

Cheers.

TBH that’s the bit I’m more interested in! Probably let the kids have it after that.

Tempted anyway at that price.

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I pulled the trigger on a Ripmax Jackal earlier (please don’t tell me it’s rubbish!)

RDL-82
    Free Member

What’s people’s opinions on brushed vs brushless?

aracer
    Free Member

Brushless is more powerful and in theory you don’t wear the motor out (I’ve worn out brushed motors in helis). More expensive though, and IMHO brushed is fine for this application.

(I might not know much about cars, but have a few planes and helis, some brushed, some brushless).

wiggles
    Free Member

Ripmax jackal (or other versions) is what I was going to suggest got one and a husky tucked away for the kids for christmas. Got some Lipo batteries and a better charger for my other stuff so they should be set for a good bit of fun and my LHS has all the spares if when needed

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Good cheapish R/C car’ is closed to new replies.