Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • (Good) Bike shops in Newcastle?
  • ahsat

Ohhhh good thread as I’ve never come across Pedalling Squares! Guess where we will be going at the weekend!

hot_fiat

Pedalling squares regularly ends up as #1 eatery in the whole of Tyneside on tripadvisor.

user-removed
    Free Member

Can’t wait to give the Sandstone Way a try! As for miserable bike shop staff, it doesn’t get any worse than the shop – in – a – trailer at Hamsterley. The young lad who ‘works’ there is Kevin the Teenager with severe pmt.

jonba
    Free Member

The guy (Karl)at the hub should be good. Again I think mostly roadie stuff so I’m not sure about shocks etc. I know a few happy customers but have never used them myself.

Waiting for the route guide to be officially launched on the sanstone way as a few of us are goingto do it as a one dayer next year.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I quite fancy doing the sandstone way as a bivi trip with a one night stop or maybe two, once its opened formally next spring.
    Was thinking of May bank holiday… then maybe back for a one dayer later in the year.

GrahamS

Pedalling squares regularly ends up as #1 eatery in the whole of Tyneside on tripadvisor.

That may have more to do with the fiercely loyal clientèle (many of whom know the owners and/or ride in the club). 😀

The coffee and food is good and it’s a nice cafe – but it’s not that good!

paul4stones

Don’t think anyone has mentioned Activ Cycles in Corbridge. They used to have a reasonable shop and a small race team. Now still a shop but also a fantastic cafe a few doors along from where they were.

There’s a cafe in Cycle Art too and going into Giant Newcastle makes you realise what an enormous range Giant have.

nodrog2
    Free Member

andyh –

Used to use the Bike Place up at Cowgate for stuff I couldn’t do/didn’t have time for before they moved to Bellingham. Anyone know where the mechanic went as he was great (he was telling me he was considering a job from Aldi a few weeks before the shop moved).

Dave who you talk of is no longer in the bike trade. He did indeed take a job with Aldi. I know this as I was the other mechanic/shop bitch at The Bike Place. I really enjoyed my 5 years at The Bike Place, shame it went ‘tits up’ but the place just wasn’t sustainable for a number of different reasons.

kayla1
    Free Member

Was The Bike Place the one that did motorcycle stuff as well? It used to be at the metrocentre then moved to Swalwell?

nodrog2
    Free Member

That’s the one kayla1

FOG

Have to agree with GrahamS. Was in there the other week and it was fine but not the best eatery on Tyneside! Still it is great to see such a commitment in such a good spot.
    Activ cycles always seemed a bit expensive to me but I imagine they are catering to demand. Really like their local caff!

righog
    Free Member

Where is the peddling Squares Cafe ? I looked on the website but could not find a location………..Cheers

hot_fiat

Towards the bottom of whickham bank – behind the sports car place.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Activ are bit more road focussed, but they are a dealership for Intense I believe, and the mechanic has raced DH at international levels I believe.

I bought my first Voodoo from the Bike Place when they were down at the metrocentre. Ian who runs it in Bellingham is in the Tyne Valley MTB club so I see him from time to time.

righog
    Free Member

Towards the bottom of whickham bank – behind the sports car place.

Cheers Hot Fiat. I must drive past on my way to Chopwell. It would make a good start point for winter rides when we try and avoid the worst of the slop in the woods.

GrahamS

Where is the peddling Squares Cafe ?

Quality Row in Swalwell. Here you go:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/54.95204/-1.68615

daleftw
    Free Member

Obviously, if you go to Pedalling Squares, don’t be a wimp – ride up Whickham Bank first (Then back down).

GrahamS

I can confirm that Pedalling Squares has a chain tool and they are happy to lend it out if you decide to grunt up that hill in the wrong gear on your barely-looked-after rat bike… 😳

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘(Good) Bike shops in Newcastle?’ is closed to new replies.